[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes IN FULL BLOOM lp

Over the years so many fans have professed such admiration for this lp. I am the exception. I just listened to it again with greater clarity thanks to the new Marvelettes 4-disk set. I have only played this lp once and put it away and was hoping I would feel renewed affection for it.

But it didn't happen. I think the reason I don't like this lp, except for Seeing Is Believing and That's How Heartaches Are Made, is because many of the tracks sounded dated for 1969 and unfinished. In looking at the annotations, half of the lp was recorded years earlier and apparently didn't make the cut for the Pink album and Sophisticated Soul. It appears that Marvelettes recording sessions dropped greatly during 1969. Therefore this album appears to be merely a contract release to ward off any possible litigation for a group that had already broken up. Even the title is unimaginative.

What are some other opinions? I love Return of the Marvelettes [[even thought it is only Wanda) and that lp is cohesive and the arrangement lush and full.

I'm actually listening to this album now, via the new collection. I'm up to THE TRUTH'S OUTSIDE MY DOOR. But before that, I had the vinyl for years. It's not one of my favorite albums. Besides THAT's HOW HEARTACHES ARE MADE, SEEING IS BELIEVING, and I HAVE SOMEONE WHO LOVES ME TOO, the songs don't really grab me.

But I do like it more than THE RETURN OF... I was very disappointed in that album. Too much falsetto from Wanda on that album, IMO. I actually sold it to a used record store for $.50. Of course I wanted it back later, just to complete my Marvelettes collection, and ended up paying $25 for it.

It's funny how different our ears can be. On The Return...I always loved Wanda's version of the Emotions' So I Can Love You, and felt it had hit potential. Even though I was unaware for years that there are no Marvelettes backing Wanda, the sound here was different, fuller. I liked all of Side A and most side B

My feelings for those two albums [[IN FULL BLOOM, THE RETURN...) mirror mine for Vandellas' albums from the same period, SUGAR AND SPICE and NATURAL RESOURCES. All have some good songs, but as a whole, they don't add up to being a great album for me.

I love both LPs, but give "Return" the upper hand in terms of the source material. I think it's a really outstanding collection of songs.

Besides the two songs which were repeated on "Return," I love "Seeing is Believing," "Now is the Time for Love," "Too Many Tears," and "Rainy Mourning," on "In Full Bloom." I do agree though after listening to the whole album some of the songs have a sameness to the arrangements and/or material without a few which should stand out much more so than the others. But overall, I think both are good, cohesive sets.

That's a good observation Kenneth, many of the songs just sound alike. The same tempo. Most lps have upbeat and slow jams, this one doesn't really.

I agree, "Seeing Is Believing" & "Thats How Heartaches Are Made" are the standout tracks.The others were/are so so & prob were tracks that didn't make the cut for the Pink & Sophisticated Soul.I think all 3 of the girl groups of Motowns LPs sufferred in this period because they didn't have the real groups personal sound [[too much Andantes).I stand by that statement too.

I agree, motony. Although each girl group had standout tracks on each of their later 60's albums, the albums suffered because of no distinctive group sound. The only later 60's album from one of the girl groups that I would say was top notch from start to finish was the Supremes' "Love Child" album from 1968. Every track had hit potential. It's a shame they didn't stick to the original idea of making it concept album about social awareness.

As for "In Full Bloom," I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Sunshine Days." I always felt that was a top notch track. It definitely wasn't a dated track as it was recorded in 1969. Actually it was originally cut for the Supremes, but then reassigned to the Marvelettes. Wanda sounds so good on it.

really the only HIT I hear on "In Full Bloom" is "Thats How Heartaches Are Made" Clay McMurray did an outstanding production.When the 45 came out & floundered at the bottom of Billboards Hot 100 & the Soul Charts I was kinda shocked.A few weeks later there was a small article in Billboard that said Motown was going to renew a push on the single and I was really glad but nothing happened & didn't hear anymore about it.Now in hindsight it could have been the time Kat described in Marc Taylors book that she went over to talk to Wandas about what they were gonna do as a group & Wanda was like out of it mentally, so Motown thought why push this product when there is no singer or group to promote it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    As for "In Full Bloom," I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Sunshine Days." I always felt that was a top notch track. It definitely wasn't a dated track as it was recorded in 1969. Actually it was originally cut for the Supremes, but then reassigned to the Marvelettes. Wanda sounds so good on it.
    That is a great track. I should have mentioned it as one of my favorites. I love the minor key. In terms of tempo and mood, though, it is a lot like "Rainy Mourning." But Wanda sings beautifully throughout.

Yes, to Wandas' credit she sold those tracks.Wanda was a great stylist & could make a mediocre song alot better.

I loved this album back in the day and still do.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I agree, "Seeing Is Believing" & "Thats How Heartaches Are Made" are the standout tracks.The others were/are so so & prob were tracks that didn't make the cut for the Pink & Sophisticated Soul.I think all 3 of the girl groups of Motowns LPs sufferred in this period because they didn't have the real groups personal sound [[too much Andantes).I stand by that statement too.
    I don't think it had anything to do with the Andantes singing the backgroup. I just think the songs were different say between late 68-70. I think this is the period where you can really feel the absence of HDH from Motown and not just the absence of their songs, but I also think HDH had a guiding influence over all the other songwriters and producers at Motown as well. The whole company suffered when they left.

another important person was gone...Mickey Stevenson ! He & Brian Holland WERE the A & R Dept.

I'd have to agree with Brad--"Sunshine Days" is one of the stand-out cuts of IN FULL BLOOM. Should've tried it as a single. Couldn't have hurt--might have helped!

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I'd have to agree with Brad--"Sunshine Days" is one of the stand-out cuts of IN FULL BLOOM. Should've tried it as a single. Couldn't have hurt--might have helped!
    I agree. "Sunshine Days" is an excellent track, a potential single, and Wanda sounds so sultry. "In Full Bloom" and "Return of..." have always been favourites of mine.

smark21 Guest
    What do you all think of Ann's lead, Everyone Knows But You?

As far as I'm concerned 'In Full Bloom' in the best Motown album ever. Wanda's voices slips & slides over the songs. I've known for a long time that the songs were not all from the same time-line but it doesn't show & it doesn't matter. I love Ann's lead on 'Everyone Knows [[But You)'. The two unreleased Ann lead tracks from 'Forever More' show that she should have been given more opportunity to sing upfront. 'Rainy Mourning', 'Too Many Tears, Too Many Times' & 'The Truth's Outside My Door' would also have been good single choices The album was never promoted and of course by that time the Marvelettes had really ceased to exist in all but name!
    Last edited by copley; 12-24-2011 at 02:48 PM.

I think Rainy Morning was a B side of a single.I like the LP, I just don't hear a 1969/70 hit other then Thats How Heartaches Are Made.

honest man Guest
    WOW I JUST LOVE THESE ALBUMS THANK YOU HARRY AND CO FOR SUCH RICH PICKINGS, some of these members comments make me puke, how unappreciative to have these albums finally releasesd i love them. thank you millions for your time and labour, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I think Rainy Morning was a B side of a single.I like the LP, I just don't hear a 1969/70 hit other then Thats How Heartaches Are Made.
    'Rainy Mourning' was the 'b' side of 'Thats How Heartaches Are Made'. As much as I love that latter song it was very old by the time the Marvelettes covered it. To be honest I don't think that it would have mattered what was released as a single as sadly the group was in disarray & Motown had no real interest in them I think that they were just ticking boxes!

I too always loved this album and for that matter I thought the cover artwork was one of Motown's best ever. So I am surprised at the criticism and lack of support for it. But at the same time I do understand that the group was past its heyday by then. At any rate, I am thrilled to finally have it on CD, since my boxed set arrived this week.

Interestingly, my favorite song on the album is one that no one has mentioned yet....Love Silent, Love Deep. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

David, I love ALL the tracks

It would have been interesting if they added sound effects like a thunderstorm and a rainstorm to "Rainy Mourning."

I have wondered why the Marvelettes covered Supremes recordings like "A Breath Taking Guy," "Take Me Where You Go," and Someday We'll Be Together" yet they never tried covering "Where Did Our Love Go" since so much has been made of that song being offered to The Marvelettes first, them turning it down, and then igniting the career of the Supremes. I think that Wanda Young Rogers could have really worked some magic bringing an adult yearning to that song. I'm impressed by the high quality of The Forever More CD release, and I've gone back to reread Marc Taylor's "The Original Marvelettes" biography, and I have come to appreciate the uphill battle these young women faced. Their struggles should be more widely known. Hopefully the selection committee at the Museum of Rock & Roll will listen to the Marvelettes complete recordings and realize they must do the right thing by these women!
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 01-20-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Adding some rainstorm effects to "Rainy Mourning" is a very good suggestion. I listened to this track closely and the opening bars share a lot in common with Johnny River's song, "Summer Rain" which has the rainfall track. Later in the song Wanda clearly sings the line "Even in my sleep I hear the thunder... [[thunder)... I hear the thunder in my heart."

Of course, engineers at the label may have felt the thunder effect had been already used to good effect with the Temptations "I Wish It Would Rain." But that didn't stop the effect being pressed to service in Eddie Kendrick's "A Date With The Rain."

There is a British Motown fan named Baby Bollox on Youtube, who has tweaked most of the Marvelettes later recordings by reworking the instrumentation in order to significantly expand the length of these classic songs. Hopefully he picks up on your suggestion.

UPDATE:
    I sent "Baby Bollox this suggestion and as of the morning of January 20th, 2012 he actually posted a "remix" of Rainy Mourning with weather effects on Youtube listed as The Marvelettes "RAINY MORNING" [MMM].

He has been facing some censorship problems of that site, so I can't guarantee just how long it will be up for, but it is a stunning mix. Too bad Motown hadn't tweaked the song just that little bit more!
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 01-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Here's the direct link to the "Rainy Mourning" remix...not as much of a remix as most of this guy's YouTube "reimaginings" but still fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNi2Fe4UGgE

I was always puzzled why Motown allowed this group to disintegrate and have so few releases [[certainly in the UK). The return of the Marvelettes [[STML 11177) was cancelled, and yet, contained some of the better tracks. I particularly liked 'a breath taking guy'.

The 'in full bloom' LP was ok, but just didn't receive the same type of publicity as other releases from Tamla Motown at the time. I never knew who the singers of the Marvelettes were, but I enjoyed listening to their voices.

About a year ago, I attempted to sell both 'in full bloom' and 'return' on ebay, but strangely, even though the price being asked for was low [[I think £2.99) no interest! It is good to see that these two LP are now issued on CD, although I'm not expecting my copy until the end of next month [[unless Amazon are able to obtain them earlier than anticipated).

I would suggest that the Marvelettes vinyl records Full Bloom and Return you tried to sell received no interest at the time, is that very few people knew just how good these recordings were. For a year prior to the recent CD Marvelettes complete CD collections, there was a brisk trade for these two titles in North America. Now that pristine digital versions are available, interest in the vinyl has dropped again. I personally enjoy vinyl and you can't beat the large format artwork. However, you are in for an treat hearing instrumentation not so audible before!

"The Truth's Outside My Door" and "That's How Heartaches Are Made" is what stood out for me as singles and in that order.

I've always felt that[the marvelettes]is their best album when they were still a group,i absolutely love the marvelettes and have always been saddened at thier demise the last time i saw them live was in[1968]with ann and they sounded very good,my favorite girl group-the marvelous marvelettes!

My favorite album is the Pink Album, followed by Sophisticated Soul and then Return of the Marvelettes. I have tried to get "into" In Full Bloom but I don't like the majority of the songs except for a couple but I still give it a listen now and then.

Did anyone else see the Marvelettes live in 68 or 69? Did they ever do My Baby Must Be A Magician live? Gladys Horton told me it was hard to do that one live