[REMOVE ADS]

Steve Jobs....Does he deserve a Grammy?

Arguments can be made on both sides as to whether or not he deserves a Grammy. There is no denying his role in the changing landscape of the music business. The question is, has the industry changed for the better?

Does the late Steve Jobs deserve a Grammy? Hell no!

As a singer or musician...of course not. The category he is being honored in...it probably makes sense. It's a technical type of award as NARAS does recognise non performers for their contributions to recorded music with certain allied awards. I suppose if you miss the old wax record days and those recording and distribution process then you may not have a great deal of appreciation for Jobs contributions...but considering the technological innovations in music over the past several decades [[good and bad) then Jobs contributions to the hardware and software which made it all possible must be seen as quite significant [[without going into technical detail I'm not much familiar with). I can today program my car audio system to download songs, albums, and store them in it's memory for me to enjoy with the turn of a knob or the press of a button...even in surround sound and high intensity. It's almost too much crap to learn, but tekkie people have all those options...but one really can't deny the contribution of Apple to so many of those sophisticated applications...and Jobs was the guy who started and led Apple through those advancements. Plus the necessity of these computers in the recording process these days is manditory. Add in the fact that Jobs passed away this past year and NARAS tends to honor significant people soon after their passing.

If Thomas Edison hasn't got one, why should Steve Jobs. Whatever next - a special Starbucks category?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    If Thomas Edison hasn't got one, why should Steve Jobs. Whatever next - a special Starbucks category?
    You may be awarded a Grammy in the "many a truth is said in jest category". Thomas Edison was indeed awarded a posthemous "Special Merit Award" Grammy just a couple of years ago...I believe 2010. His descendents accepted the award on his behalf.

Edisons first ever known recording [[Mary Had A Little Lamb) was indeed a classic, although the musicians union pulled the entire rhythm section from the session.
    Last edited by StuBass1; 12-23-2011 at 12:59 PM.

I have great respect for Steve Jobs and may he rest in peace. However, I don't think he deserves a Grammy. MP3's and iTunes have killed the music industry, so why should he be honoured for contributing to its downfall? He's changed the landscape, but in my opinion, I don't think it was for the better.