[REMOVE ADS]

Strongest Motown Fan Base

I was thinking today [[since Im off today) who at Motown has and still has the strongest fan base. I know some would venture to say the Supremes, or the Temps or even the Four Tops, maybe the Vandellas. After all of my years of looking at Motown blogs, reviews, books etc. I have come to the conclusion that without the bickering [[Supremes and Temps fans) the group that has the most die hard fans has to be the Marvelettes! I KNOW that there are fans amongst all of these groups even the Elgins OH I forgot the Miracles. Never have I seen such a love for a Motown group like this one. Many years of petitioning to get into the RRHOF, and waiting incessantly for each new release from HIPPO to come, not only that the raging amount of postings in the Marvelettes group on Facebook. When I read a review concerning one of their releases or former albums people really get into this group and there is no hate between those who love Wanda and Gladys as lead singers. I am a DIE HARD Supremes fan but the civility that is among the discussions about the Marvelettes is their vocals and their music, even the sweetening done by the Andantes does not cause a division amongst the Marvelettes fans. Katherine is looked upon as the Queen now [[I guess since is the spokesperson and still does interviews) and there is no criticism when she talks about Wandas past problems [[which she does most gracefully I might add not adding any embarassment on her part) fans love all of them. Im curious as to who some of you think has the strongest fan base at Motown. I dont necessarily mean numbers but love of the group and people who are willing to email or sign a petition, or just move mountains to get things released by them or get them noticed.

Interesting. The reason there seems to be less animosity amongst Marvelettes fans may be because, although it turns out there was a fair amount of strife within the group, none of this was really known at the time, whereas the Diane-Flo controversies and other issues within the Supremes were always known to the public and certainly to fans.

Also, Gladys initially retired in 1967.

Very well thought out post Stephanie. I amuse myself from time to time to see what percentage of the last 20 posts on the site are about the Supremes or Supremes related, it is usually 40-50%. Owing to the popularity of the group, it's track record of records sold, and the fact that most of the original, or members of other combinations of the group are still alive and performing, and the fact that it's leader is a music icon who has earned one name status, this not a surprise. Conversely, I loved the Velvelettes Anthology from 2002. I loved all of the music, especially Let Love Live. It was great to learn about the group, and I am happy they are still performing, and if they were appearing within a 150 mile radius of upstate NY, I would be there in a flash. Since I joined the forum maybe they have had 10 threads. I agree with you about the Marvelettes, they had an excellent book written about them, but on all of the posts here, everyone "plays nice".