[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Eddie Murphy's brother Charlie on Diana Ross

From Esquire Magazine:

I was sitting in this mogul's house. My brother was there, and they were having lunch. It was real nice, going down to the beach and everything. And then we see this woman walking on the beach. It's Diana Ross. I ran down there and got her. So now we're sitting in this room. Diana Ross is sitting with Eddie in the mogul's section. I'm with some common folk on the other side. We're talking, having fun. One guy happens to use the f word. And Diana Ross comes all the way across the room and says, "Excuse me, I don't know who you gentlemen are, but I don't tolerate any profanity in my vicinity." Now, we're not at Diana Ross's house. We're in another house. We don't work for her. That's what we're all thinking. And one guy goes, "Fuck you, Diana." She was stunned. Her face, it looked like pieces of it were falling off. No one was sorry. Because what sticks out in this story for me is: Why are people kissing Diana Ross's ass? Is she God? No. She sang on some records and did a good job! I give her her props. But that doesn't make you more of an adult than me. That doesn't give you any more rights than me. Being your fan is optional. If you forget that, because everybody's been blowing sunshine up your ass, you're putting yourself in the position to take a fall. That's the moral of the story. Always stay humble. It's the only way you can't get humiliated.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/features/what...#ixzz1h7xeD9PR

good for Diana. What decent man curses around women he don't know.Decency 101.

Bravo diana !!!

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    good for Diana. What decent man curses around women he don't know.Decency 101.
    I agree.

My friends used to make fun of me in high school because I would never swear...and I still don't. I call people out on it all the time, especially when there is a lady in the room. Most people don't have manners anymore. Call me a prude, but I try to hold myself to a standard.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I agree.

My friends used to make fun of me in high school because I would never swear...and I still don't. I call people out on it all the time, especially when there is a lady in the room. Most people don't have manners anymore. Call me a prude, but I try to hold myself to a standard.

You are no prude Carlo you are a true gentleman. A man with class and decency never uses foul language around a lady or a child. Vile language shows a lack of breading and class and I applaud Miss Diane Ross for not tolerating vulgarity in her presence.

I abhor cussing and feel it shows a lack of education.

Roberta

But that doesn't make you more of an adult than me.

But swearing in front of a lady does? It doesn't sound like this a$$hole knows much about respect.

Next.

I think she did the right thing by taking a stand for her principles and she deserved an apology; not the rude, disrespectful reply she got. Obviously the man who spoke has no class and perhaps doesn't deserve to be
    in the presence of moguls and successful celebrities.

For some reason, I think that Charlie and his crew were not only using profanity, but were throwing around the N-word as well. Just a hunch.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    I think she did the right thing by taking a stand for her principles and she deserved an apology; not the rude, disrespectful reply she got. Obviously the man who spoke has no class and perhaps doesn't deserve to be
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post

Beautifully stated randy_russi. A classless man who shouldn't be using foul language and obscenities around a shopgirl a star, a subway or a playground. It's just wrong and very distasteful.

I abhor vile language.

Roberta

I'm with Charlie on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I'm with Charlie on this one.
    Surely you don't condone foul language in front of ladies BobC?

Actually, it's not just moguls or celebrities - why should Charlie or his friends think it okay to use offensive language in front of women and then repeat it when they complain. Charlie's attitude is not just devoid of class, it's devoid of manners and respect. Read the rest of the article - he's not in Diana's league.

I was just being goofy. But seriously, I don't make celebrities into God-like creatures either. I got a dose of DR's "lady-like" behaviour when she shoved me out the way in a nightclub in NYC in the 80's.
    Last edited by BobC; 12-21-2011 at 11:44 AM.

I don't condone men cussing in front of a woman BUT she did go to Eddie Murphy's house, a comedian known in those days for his blue language and racy humor. [[The Family Friendly Eddie was a decade away I'd estimate) It was bound to happen. Expecting him or his entourage to not cuss back then is like buying a Supremes Greatest Hits album and expecting Universal not to put Baby Love on it. I'm glad though she let it be known she didn't like that language expressed in her presence even if the other gentlemen present disregarded it. She also had the choice to leave if she didn't wish to hear it after that which I'm sure she did. Perhaps she left Maxine Powell's business card for etiquette lessons as well....

This is a tough judgement call. Although its not right to be fowl around anyone man or woman I agree with Glenpwood here she really didnt have the right to act territorial about this, but at the same time Im glad she stood up for herself and her dislikes. I am sure they didnt ask her to leave but I guess she got Detroit on them...LOL Well Miss Ross good for you but at the same time if someone had been at your house and you were cursing [[which you werent I assume) how would you have felt in your own territory?

Well, a comedian that uses profanity in his comedy act is not the same persona off-stage, neccessarily. I certainly
    hope that comics who tell dirty jokes don't use them in their everyday conversation. I think Diana was correct
    to stand up for her principles and let it be known she didn't appreciate the profanity in her presence.
    I wonder how any of those men would feel if their wife or mother was the woman in the story and not Diana Ross.
    Therefore, it doesn't matter if it's someone famous or not; respecting others is respecting yourself.

smark21 Guest
    So what do you all think of women who curse and cuss? It's not something just men do, despite what some of the responses on this thread seem to imply.

it would depend on the circumstances but most women I hear cursing in public, I look around & others are lookin at them like they are trash.Some of the young & ignorant I feel sorry for.Some think it makes them cool.I can cuss up a blue streak & I use to have to in tryin to collect money from club owners or promoters BUT NEVER in front of women I don't know or children, NEVER.

I don't get how this prick even got an article in Esquire? First off, he refers to him [[or the people he's with) as "commonfolk" then disses Diana for acting "God-like"? It seems to me she acted VERY lady-like, using "excuse me" and "gentlemen". Maybe she should have acted "ghetto"? Looks like 'ol Charlie is just looking to ride off someone else's coattails; he's been doing it to his brother for years.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    So what do you all think of women who curse and cuss? It's not something just men do, despite what some of the responses on this thread seem to imply.
    Real ladies never cuss smark21.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    You are no prude Carlo you are a true gentleman.
    Thank you!

Who is he, anyway? Sounds like a classless wannabe, flitting around the circle created by his brother's celebrity, and trying hard to enter the blogosphere for a few short days. Enjoy it while you can, Sir...it ain't gonna last long.

I like to cuss.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I like to cuss.

Penny
    And at times I do as well. But I hope we all refrain from doing so if it offends someone, or in the presence of children or others who might be offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    I like to cuss.

Penny
    Please think of other words Penny. Cussing doesn't become you lady.

Fondly,

Roberta

Several women I know, none of whom are famous, have told me that they've asked strangers to stop swearing. I don't see why Diana Ross should be excluded from doing this just because she's a celebrity.

i think when you are in someones home, you should be respectful and be on your best behavior[so to speak]. i would never go to someomes home and disrespect them by using fowl language and behaving badly. i think this may have also been dianas point and if i were the owner of th ehouse i would have excused a few people from my house[imo]

I think she overreacted. It depends on what they were saying, though. If they were being derogatory towards women, then I could understand her getting annoyed.

It amuses me, though, that Charlie is astonished by a celebrities arrogance. Eddie is well known for being difficult to work with, so I don't think any stones need be thrown in this case.

She reacted like anyone might. The fact that she's a celebrity is completely irrelevant.