[REMOVE ADS]

Mother Dear - Which version would have been the hit?

I know this has been discussed before, but since all three versions of "Mother Dear" have been released, which version do you feel would have been the hit version for the group?

I've always been a huge fan of the third version from 1966. Since it's so drastically different from the first two versions, I can never sit still when I hear it. I think if there was a better mix where the background vocals were brought up as well as the strings, it would have been another hit for the group. The first version has the classic Motown sound going for it, so I think it might been a hit too. The second version that was just released on the "More Hits" expanded edition lacks something.

I've only heard one of the versions. That being said-- that song would never be a hit. It is IMO album filler. "I'm Living in Shame," a song most Motown fans seem to hate, was far superior.

I was disappointed that Mother Dear was not released as a single. With everyone's tastes being so different, I can't say 46 years later that it would have done better on the charts than Nothing But Heartaches. The version from the box set is a throw away for me. I eagerly await the expanded edition so that I can hear version 3 of one of my favorite Supremes' songs.

I LOVE "Mother Dear!" I remember getting More Hits By The Supremes when it first came out at Lit Brother's department store in Philadelphia. I played that song over and over and over. I just about drove my family crazy with it! Although "Nothing But Heartaches" has an amazing rhythm track, I think "Mother Dear" has a much more memorable hook with "Help help me Mother Dear!" It was absolutely infectious. It was a missed opportunity.

Well, I always thought this song should have been a single and would have been a hit. BUT I have had second thoughts in recent years.

The Supremes performed this song on two programs in early 1966. It didn't appear to generate enough interest for a single release. Watching these two performances on youtube has led me to think that this is a boring monotonous song. When I listen to the song I love it, when I watch it on youtube I'm not as fond of it.

I am not impressed with the alternate version on More Hits Disc 2. I cannot recall the 1966 version. Which CD is that from?
    Last edited by johnjeb; 12-18-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I am not impressed with the alternate version on More Hits Disc 2. I cannot recall the 1966 version. Which CD is that from?
    The 1966 version was issued on the Supremes' box set in 2000. At the time it was listed as version 2 because they hadn't come across the alternate that was issued on the expanded "More Hits" collection. The 1966 version is along the lines of "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart," much more rhythmic and danceable.

The version on More Hits, however, that lp already contained three hit singles and was a big seller and that's probably
    why they didn't release it as a single. The Supremes performed Mother Dear on TV twice--Dean Martin Show and
    Red Skelton Show.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

The 1966 version was issued on the Supremes' box set in 2000. At the time it was listed as version 2 because they hadn't come across the alternate that was issued on the expanded "More Hits" collection. The 1966 version is along the lines of "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart," much more rhythmic and danceable.
    The 1966 version sound nothing "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart." Fo the '66 version they created a rhythm track similar to "When The Lovelights Start Shining Through His Eyes." They used to do a dance called the Popeye to that beat back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    The version on More Hits, however, that lp already contained three hit singles and was a big seller and that's probably why they didn't release it as a single. The Supremes performed Mother Dear on TV twice--Dean Martin Show and
    Red Skelton Show.

I think if they thought they could get 12 singles out of the More Hits By The Supremes album they would have! The '65 Singles Collection said that they went with "Nothing But Heartaches" because they felt it was a stronger song which sounds more logical to me.

It's no contest for me; I go with the original version of 'Mother Dear' that came out on the More Hits LP. In fact, as much as I love 'Nothing But Heartaches' I think that 'Mother Dear' should've been the follow-up to 'Back In My Arms Again'.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    It's no contest for me; I go with the original version of 'Mother Dear' that came out on the More Hits LP. In fact, as much as I love 'Nothing But Heartaches' I think that 'Mother Dear' should've been the follow-up to 'Back In My Arms Again'.
    I have to agree with you Motown Eddie!

The mark of a hit single, IMO, is if I hear it a couple of times and can hum the melody. I've heard Mother Dear several times and can't hum the melody--it just didn't stick in my brain [[neither did The Composer, No Matter What Sign You are, or Reach Out and Touch). I can't hum any of those songs.

I guess Motown Quality Control went through the same thing as above posts--yes and no!! Never a huge fan of Mother Dear but it does stick in my brain-Nothing But Heartaches is more a jumble-less hooky. I think they both arent quite up to snuff. NBH is more like the Happening to Me--lalalalala but its supposed to be a sad song!!

I can't really hum Nothing But Heartaches either.

It seems to me they were performing Mother Dear on tv AFTER the release of the More Hits lps, which is after
    Nothing But Heartaches.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9nyc View Post
    The 1966 version sound nothing "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart." Fo the '66 version they created a rhythm track similar to "When The Lovelights Start Shining Through His Eyes." They used to do a dance called the Popeye to that beat back in the day.
    Oops, "Lovelight" is what I mean to type!

I personally prefer the original 'More Hits' version, especially the mono L.P. mix, to the re-recorded 1966 version. I prefer the sound and feel of the original because as Brad points out, it has the classic 'Motown' sound. I especially like Benny's drumming [[I love the way it kicks off the song), as opposed to Pistol's, who's on the 66 recut.

Would either have been a hit?

I don't think so, but I think the original would have made a good 'B' side.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 12-19-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Didn't they decide not to proceed with Mother Dear as a single because they performed it on The Red Skelton Show and it didn't get a great public reaction?

The version planned for release was the Skelton version. Actually Skelton and Dean Martin were recorded before being aired by weeks or months. Both times the Supremes were "between" singles. Mother Dear was planned before Symphony and then again after. It was trumped both times by newer productions.

I think the song would have made the Top 20 but that would have been a disappointment for the Supremes at that time.

I much prefer the 1966 version with James Jamerson`s cool bass lines.It could have have really stood out on "Supremes A Go-Go" if it had replaced one of the LA. backed songs like "Shake Me, Wake Me" or either of the "outside" covers.

I felt the 1966 version sounded too much like Marvin Gaye's "Baby Don't You Do It." Listen to it...the backing track is very similar.

I like the song very much. The fact of the matter is that none of the versions would have been a hit and that is why it was pulled.

With Skin so Soft;
    Penny [[your AVON connection)

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I felt the 1966 version sounded too much like Marvin Gaye's "Baby Don't You Do It." Listen to it...the backing track is very similar.
    You're right. It makes it more interesting because "Baby Don't You Do It" was originally assigned to the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I can't really hum Nothing But Heartaches either.
    The "I can't break away...kiss I'd surely miss" segment is completely hummable.

As they are both H.D.H. songs they are bound to be similarities as the boys used the same parts to build different models or so it sounds to me.

i like the original lp version but prefer NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES

smark21 Guest
    Neither of them....the big problem with Mother Dear are the lyrics. The story it tells is pathetic and the sentimental appeal to "mother dear" is saccharine, even for a Supremes song. Outside of the Joan Crawford family, did many kids in the 60's actually call their mom "Mother Dear"? HDH did a much better job of depicitng motherly wisdom to the lovelorn with "You Can't Hurry Love".

And all together on Red Skelton! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FrNUZpwxjw

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    The mark of a hit single, IMO, is if I hear it a couple of times and can hum the melody. I've heard Mother Dear several times and can't hum the melody--it just didn't stick in my brain [[neither did The Composer, No Matter What Sign You are, or Reach Out and Touch). I can't hum any of those songs.
    hmmm ... i have always found songs that did not quite hit it off with me on the first few run throughs, but had one little hook in them that kept tugging at my memory were the ones that became long fast friends. those that were too hummable got old really fast. of course, that said, there are tons of exceptions in both cases!