[REMOVE ADS]

dzMusica Guest

The Fascinations Interviews

Hello,

Does anyone know of interviews [[audio is preferred) with the group or any of the group members of the Fascinations?

Sincerely,
    dzMusica

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  21.1 KB
    Why is this on The Motown Forum? Did The Fascinations record for Motown at any time? I lost track of them [[and all music) around the beginning of The 1970s.

I take it you mean the group who did "Girls Are Out To Get You" on Mayfield.

There was an article on them in "Blues & Soul" when the song became a surprise hit when reissued in Britain in 1971 .. I think it included an interview.

I shall try to dig it out.

Roger

dzMusica Guest
    Martha Reeves sung with them before the Motwon days.

Quote Originally Posted by dzMusica View Post
    Martha Reeves sung with them before the Motwon days.
Views: 279
    Are you sure? I thought that Martha and Gloria Williamson started up The Del-Phis [[Del-Fis) in high school in Detroit. They were Detroiters all the way. I thought that Curtis Mayfield's Fasinations [[Fascinations) were from Chicago. Are you talking about an unrecorded or unreleased female Fascinations group from Detroit? If so, I never heard of one. When would Martha Reeds [[Reeves) had time to be in another group BEFORE her Motown days??? She was recording with The Del-Fis for Kable Records as a teenager, backing up JJ Barnes and others, and recording on their own in 1960-61. Then, also in 1961, they were with Billy Davis' Check-Mate Records as The Del-Phi's [[presumably a lease of a Kable master). Martha was still a late teenager when she became Motown's secretary[[also in 1961). She and her Vandellas were recording backup for Motown already in 1961.
    Last edited by robb_k; 12-17-2011 at 04:15 PM.

dzMusica Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 279
    Are you sure? I thought that Martha and Gloria Williamson started up The Del-Phis [[Del-Fis) in high school in Detroit. They were Detroiters all the way. Curtis Mayfield's Fasinations [[Fascinations) were from Chicago. Are you talking about an unrecorded or unreleased female Fascinations group from Detroit? If so, I never heard of one. When would Martha Reeds [[Reeves) had time to be in another group BEFORE her Motown days??? She was recording with The Del-Fis for Kable Records as a teenager, backing up JJ Barnes and others, and recording on their own in 1960-61. Then, also in 1961, they were with Billy Davis' Check-Mate Records as The Del-Phi's [[presumably a lease of a Kable master). Martha was still a late teenager when she became Motown's secretary[[also in 1961). She and her Vandellas were recording backup for Motown already in 1961.
    One of the groups trying to get a foothold on success in those days was an all-girl outfit called the Sabre-ettes, who were in the market for some new members. Two co-founders, Shirley Walker and Martha Reeves, were doing the auditions, and they brought gospel singers Joanne and Bernadine Boswell into the lineup, which quickly expanded by one more slot with the addition of Fern Bledsoe. The resulting quintet was rechristened the Fascinations. Martha Reeves left the group in 1960 for her own path to stardom, and the Fascinations were permanently a quartet. Two years later, they made the acquaintance of Fred Cash and Sam Gooden, two members of the Impressions. They, in turn, introduced the Fascinations to Curtis Mayfield, who got the group signed to ABC-Paramount, where they released a trio of singles [[written and/or produced by Mayfield) over the next year that failed to sell in significant numbers.

honest man Guest
    would love to see an official anthology release of the group some brilliant songs .love them ,ACE please. cheers

honest man Guest
    sorry gang ,i meant the FLIRTATIONS ,This ales strong, BURP, cheers.

Hi there ..

I've found the article in "Blues & Soul" .. #63 dated July 9-22 1971. The article has a photo of the group and it looks like JOHN ABBEY of B&S spoke to them by telephone.

The article is quite short and two of the three paragraphs are about the song "Girls Are out To Get You" .. which had finally made the U.K. charts on its third release .. but the second paragraph might be of interest here ..

"The Fascinations are still together and singing in their home city of Detroit, which is where we tracked them down to. And, quite naturally, the four girls were doubtful of the whole situation since this is a situation that never happens in the States. As Shirley Walker exclaimed: "we were all absolutely knocked out and couldn't believe it - in fact I'm not totally convinced even now."

The photo used in B&S was later used in the "Out To Getcha" CD of FASCINATIONS/MAYFIELD PLAYERS material that Sequel records issued in Britain in 1997. The C.D. notes by Mick Patrick basically echo what dzMusica has just posted .. SHIRLEY WALKER of THE FASCINATIONS started off singing in a group called THE SABRE-ETTES with MARTHA REEVES.

Roger

Views: 272
    Now I DO remember that The Fascinations originated in Detroit. But I had never heard that Martha Reeds [[Reeves) had been a member. So, in 1960 she left them and formed The Del-Fis.

dzMusica Guest
    Now I DO remember that The Fascinations originated in Detroit. But I had never heard that Martha Reeds [[Reeves) had been a member. So, in 1960 she left them and formed The Del-Fis.
    She didn't form the Del-Fis. Although, [[it seems as if) she did help form the Fascinations. Gloria asked Martha to be in the group. Martha is not an original member of the Del-Fis.

dzMusica

Actually, the Del-Phis had been in existence before Martha joined. One of the members moved out of state, and needed to be replaced. Martha's friend Fred Brown gave her Rosalind Ashford's number, and Martha auditioned for them.

dzMusica Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Actually, the Del-Phis had been in existence before Martha joined. One of the members moved out of state, and needed to be replaced. Martha's friend Fred Brown gave her Rosalind Ashford's number, and Martha auditioned for them.
    I just said that. BUT: Rosalind and Annette confirmed in an AUDIO INTERVIEW that Gloria brought Martha in the group. She didn't get get a number from that guy, actually if you read her book she said she got Rosalinds number from Fred in one part of the book then said it was from a guy named Charles in another part. So once again MArtha is lieing because she is trying to hide something.

Views: 239
    Thanks for clearing that up. Nice to know she was friendly with Fred Brown as early as that. So, maybe that explains why The Vandellas moonlighted [[from Motown) singing backgrounds for Brown[[and Joe Hunter) at Mickay's Records in 1962-63 [[JJ Barnes), and even as late as early 1964, with Hunter and Brown at Armen Boladian's Ring Records [[also on JJ Barnes recordings).

Quote Originally Posted by dzMusica View Post
    I just said that. BUT: Rosalind and Annette confirmed in an AUDIO INTERVIEW that Gloria brought Martha in the group. She didn't get get a number from that guy, actually if you read her book she said she got Rosalinds number from Fred in one part of the book then said it was from a guy named Charles in another part. So once again Martha is lieing because she is trying to hide something.
    We could be splitting hairs on gave who's number to whom. That was 50 years ago and even the principle players in most of our Motown discussions don't always remember details exactly as situations did unfold.

dzMusica Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    We could be splitting hairs on gave who's number to whom. That was 50 years ago and even the principle players in most of our Motown discussions don't always remember details exactly as situations did unfold.
    It's two against one and Martha is the one with the Mental Illness. But ya'll think these people are saints, so what ever anybody says against them you all tend to have a problem with. But anyways, that wasn't the question I was asking in the first place.