[REMOVE ADS]

Etta James is dying

Let's keep her in our prayers.

I will certainly be keeping her in my prayers. I know she hasn't been in good health for some time now. Hopefully the report from TMZ isn't as bad as it sounds. Wasn't it TMZ who had first reported that she had passed on a few months ago?

Alas, AP is reporting the same basic thing.

Attached is a link. She's in the final stages of leukemia. It's really sad.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2011/12/16...minal-illness/

Sorry to hear this - Keeping Etta lifted up in prayer. May God's presence surround her at this time.

Etta has been in bad health for years.

December 16th, 2011
    02:56 PM ET
    Share this on:Facebook Twitter Digg del.icio.us reddit MySpace StumbleUpon

Comments [[256 comments)
    Etta James terminally ill
    Etta James has been battling health issues, but the "At Last" singer's manager and friend Lupe De Leon tells CNN that she's now terminally ill.

“Etta James is at the last stages of her terminal illness," De Leon says.

The singer, 73, was diagnosed with leukemia along with hepatitis C over a year ago, and with Alzheimer's disease in 2009. The singer is currently residing at her home in Riverside, California, under the care of her doctor and husband.

According to De Leon, who was at James' home on December 10, she's on oxygen and resting, mostly. Her sons do live close by and visit often, De Leon says.

James was previously hospitalized in January of 2010 as she battled a serious infection, and was hospitalized in May of this year due to a urinary tract infection that led to sepsis.

Back in [[I'm guessing) 2007 Etta's tour manager called me saying Etta was going to play Austin City limits [[a local concert TV show), and Etta wanted to get her hair "did." I was informed she was really picky--and that finding a place that did black hair well was difficult to find. I was assigned the task of finding such a place [[it's hard to imagine anyone less qualified) but thank God my friend Joyce knew a place to go. Well the next thing you know the ladies who worked at the hair place were calling me, gushing, falling all over themselves, saying they'd do it for free, and asked me what they could order for Etta to eat or drink--as if I knew! I was a bit taken aback by all the hoopla as I barely knew who she was. Anyway, the next day her manager called me and said Etta had started a show in Dallas the previous night and couldn't finish it [[I'm trying to remember why but I think it had something to do with her leg giving out on her--it was something like that) so they had to cancel the Austin show. Then I got the thankless job of telling the girls at the salon that Etta wasn't coming. Luckily I broke the news over the phone, or it would have been like a scene from out of Frankenstein with torches and pitch forks!! I think Etta ended up coming to Austin a few months later, but even though she did a good show, it was clear she was not in good health. I didn't pry.

Sigh. This is sad.

If her health has been this bad for this long, does that mean that the recently-released CD was older "in the can" material? I had been under the impression that it was all recorded fairly recently.

I'm not sure--Etta was still working even when she was sick.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    May the good Lord take her home to Glory where Miss Etta will be free from pain and suffering.

Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
    Calling for you and for me;
    See, on the portals he's waiting and watching,
    Watching for you and for me.

Come home, come home,
    Ye who are weary, come home;
    Earnestly, tenderly Jesus is calling,
    Calling, O sinner, come home.

Why should we tarry when Jesus is pleading,
    Pleading for you and for me?
    Why should we linger and heed not his mercies,
    Mercies for you and for me?

Time is now fleeting, the moments are passing,
    Passing from you and from me;
    Shadows are gathering, deathbeds are coming,
    Coming for you and for me.

Oh! for the wonderful love he has promised
    Promised for you and for me;
    Though we have sinned, he has mercy and pardon,
    Pardon for you and for me.

Roberta, what a beautiful prayer. I hope you are around to whisper that prayer for me when it is my time. This made me cry.

Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Roberta, what a beautiful prayer. I hope you are around to whisper that prayer for me when it is my time. This made me cry.

Penny
    When it's time for the good Lord to carry you home Miss Penny all you have to do is remember that Jesus is calling you and your passing will be peaceful dear lady.

With my love and good wishes for a very happy Christmas.

Roberta