[REMOVE ADS]

Temptation Fan's Help !

A person on another forum has really gotten my dander up. Recently he wrote that he could hear "Richard Street vocals in the following song. I said to him "Dude" Richard Street was long gone from the Temptations when they released this record. Surely they could have recorded it years before but I can't hear him. Needless to say when I asked him what was their line up...he back pedaled....took a day off and came back later and said to me , well I got my facts wrong...yada, yada , yada.

But wait there's more, on this particular album and recording, as I was listening to the intro, at first it sounds like Melvin Franklin, but then I listened again and again and I said to myself..."that aint Melvin". I asked the expert to listen and tell me if he thought that was Melvin and if by chance it wasn't since he knew the line up, then who was it ? He replied thats Melvin alright and if it aint so what ? During this time frame 94-95 I realized that Melvin was having serious medical problems but, to my ears he has never lost the bottom of his basso perfundo. I don't really care for this record [[its ok) but the mix was jacked up and they were not singing with that old Tempt fervor.What I'd like to know from you guys after listening to the intro, your honest opinion. I could very well be wrong, but theres just something about this record that doesn't sit right with me. This is a record that Melvin would have flat out clowned on and yet he's barely there! [[ if its him at all) The threads on Valerie Simpson, Adantes etc inspired me to post this . Can you guys help a brother and Tempt fan out ?

PS : I still prefer the Countours version over this one but the additonal lyrics and chorus by the Tempts is pretty cool.

Last edited by paladin; 12-17-2011 at 06:19 PM.

It could be Ray Davis, although I don't know what ray sounds like in the temptations since he was in there for such a brief time. [[I know he sings the begining of Parliament funkadelic "we want the funk") .

What date was the track released? If it's in mid-1995 then it's ray davis.

And about Richard street, this sounds like a post 1992 [[the actual year he left) song and he was long gone after 1992.
    Last edited by candykamaine; 12-16-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Is that Ollie Ali Woodson on lead? I like the record Paladin. Sorry I can't help you with your question but it sounds like Melvin to my untrained ears.

I know Ray Davis's voice anywhere and that is definitely Ray.

Yep that's Ray. Not only was he a long member of Parliament, he was a member of the ZAPP organization .
    TEAR THE ROOF OFF, WE'RE GONNA TEAR THE ROOF OFF THE MOTHER SUCKER, TEAR THE ROOF OFF THE SUCKER
    BOW WOW WOW YIPPEE YO YIPPEE YEAH BOW WOW YIPPEE YO YIPPEE YEAH
    I CAN MAKE YOU DANCE IF YOU WANT ME TO

Yes that's Ali Woodson, Thanks guys, the jury is still out of course because I even had my doubts about Ray....the first line is great but I've never known bass singers to fluctuate so much.......back later with release dates and such...gotta run, but I truly appreciate your help. If it is Ray then why didn't they let him loose and jam as he has on so many other records .....????? His work on "For Lovers Only" was way cool........

You know recently I was thinking of both Ray & Melvin and why they never worked together on something.
    Even a beer commercial would have been interesting

The earliest release date I could find was 2/14/1995. Funny, from about 3:20 on you can hear Otis Williams jamming.......wow.......the original Contours song had the bass player kicking, but I guess it is what it is, I really appreciate those of you who took the time to listen to this record and comment on what I heard. I have been listening to Melvin Franklin as long as they have been recording and I know that's not his voice. Often imitated but never duplicated. One of the best things about growing up on Motown was hearing Melvin sing "I Truly Believe" which was a big hit in my neighborhood, oh hell yes it was a B side but it was still a hit.....that record by itself made a great many young cats aspire to be a bass singer.

Big Ups to PShark & Timmy Funk........
    Last edited by paladin; 12-17-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Paladin, Truly Believe was big in Philly too. Even Otis' Dont Send Me Away got played at the house partys.

Paladin, Truly Believe was big in Philly too. Even Otis' Dont Send Me Away got played at the house partys.

Mel's bass is one of a kind.

Thanks Paladin. Can't forget Candykamaine.

RAY & MELVIN!

http://www.myspace.com/woobass/photos/6710994

the liner notes of the actual CD are: Produced and Arranged by Jerry Peters, Ray Parker JR. Guitar / Wah Wah Watson Guitar / Ray Fuller Guitar / Robert White Guitar / James Jamerson JR Bass / Leon "Ndugu" Chander Drums / Bobbye Hall Percussion / Jerry Peters Keyboards.

Engineer: Frank Clark, Assistant Engineer: Doug Michaels

Recorded at Devonshire Studios, North Hollywood, CA

Mix Engineer: Frank Clarke
    Assistant Engineer: Alex Lowe
    Mixed at Doppler Recording, Atlanta GA

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Thanks Paladin. Can't forget Candykamaine.

RAY & MELVIN!

http://www.myspace.com/woobass/photos/6710994
    Wow, I did'nt know they met each other. Awesome find P-shark.

Nope, that's not Blue...sorry Kdub!!!!!!

Nope, that's not Blue...sorry Kdub!!!!!!
    I could very well be wrong, but theres just something about this record that doesn't sit right with me. This is a record that Melvin would have flat out clowned on and yet he's barely there! [[ if its him at all) The threads on Valerie Simpson, Adantes etc inspired me to post this . Can you guys help a brother and Tempt fan out ?

Thanks M, like I said it wasn't that the record or the voice sounded bad, it just didn't sound like "Blue" to me........

You are correct my friend.

Dude, you missed one heck of a party. The talent was off the chain and Chi cut up like crazy.....LOL The band didn't even rehearse and for the most part didn't know each other until that night but you would have thought they had been playing together for years. The talent that's still in Detroit is mind blowing. People who think great music and great singers are gone are dead wrong. We've got to find a way to help these people be heard and THAT is my mission!!!!

It was a great night, sorry you were not able to make it. I did sit on the tarmac for an hour in your fair city though....hahahaha

Ok, back on topic....but you were right to be skeptical. Can't say for certain who it is, only who it's not. Of that I do not have any doubts!!!!

Dude, you missed one heck of a party. The talent was off the chain and Chi cut up like crazy.....LOL The band didn't even rehearse and for the most part didn't know each other until that night but you would have thought they had been playing together for years. The talent that's still in Detroit is mind blowing
    I know, I'll fill you in a bit later, been a rough month for a brother. My ears rarely deceive me......especially when it comes to a group I've been listening too most of my life......

Hey paladin what up pardner,we both know that ain't blue!!

Hey paladin what up pardner,we both know that ain't blue!!

Man I was waiting for you to jump in.......betta lay off some of that clear my friend......

If that was Melvin there would be no question. That would be Ray Davis who is also a great bass singer. Thet are both awsome however both have distinct qualities.