[REMOVE ADS]

10 favorite music purchase of 2011

I haven't made one of these lists in years, probably because I haven't purchased 10 cds in a year in a long time. Coming from someone who has over 1,000 cds and used to spend my last on music before food. Music has changed and quality music hasn't been released as often but I made moer music purchases this year than I have in years. Here are my 10 favorite purchases in no particlar order:

1. Bruno Mars/ Doo-Wops & Hooligans- This cd is pop enough to be pop yet Mar's smooth tone and vocal ability sprinkles just enough soul to give the music an extra umph. Songs like "Grenade", "Just The Way You Are", "Count On Me" and "Talking To The Moon" makes this one a winner.
    2. Teena Marie/ "First Class Love: Rare Tee"- This collection of unrealeased songs of Teena Marie before she became a household name is a breath of fresh air. This collection shows how genuis she really was. Disc 2 is raw and acoustic and pleasure to the ears.
    3. Eric Roberson/ "Mr. Nice Guy"-The very underated yet overly talented Eric Roberson comes witha collection of great songs, intelligent lyrics and a groove that does not disappoint
    4. Dorinda Clark Cole/ "I Survived"-This member of the muliple Grammy winning Clark Sisters proves once again that she can hold her own with her 4th solo offering. When she's churching, she's churching hard. The band is on fire, she's a powerhouse and the accompanying background creates a handclapping footstomping good time. She's equally effective on the ballads as she is on the uptempos. You will definitely wave your hands, stomp your feet and say amen. This cd does what gospell music should do...UPLIFT.
    5. Rahsaan Patterson/ "Bluephoria"- With guest appearances from Faith Evans, Jody Watley, Lalah Hathaway and the Andrae Crouch singers, Rahsaan delivers a collection of quality music that unfortnately radio has overlooked but sometimes that comes with being true to your art. The guests are just that because it is definitely the Rahsaan show and what a good one it is. His vocal acrobats and crazy range is the icing on a cake full of good songs
    6. The Roots/ "Undone"- It's not just rap, hip-hop or rock but a mixture of solid songs with exceptional musicianship. So many standout tracks on this cd and it flows like a 12 foot wedding train. The cd tells a story and was strategically made that way. If you have an ear for great musicianship, this is the one for you
    7. Andrae Crouch/" The Journey"The legend proves that he is still relevant in gospel music. He has suffered some health issues over the years and you can hear the strain in his voice but with a supporting cast that includes Tata Vega, Marvin Winans, Chaka Khan, Sheila E & Rance Allen this is a winner. The production is top notch and the song selection is superb. Let the church say AMEN
    8. Beyonce/"4" I'm surprised at myself for listing this one but I must admit that I love this cd. HATE, HATE, HATE the first single of "Who Rule The World" but this project is filled with solid songs, great beats and Beyonce the vocalist is sounding better than ever [[check out 1+1). I think I've played this so much in my photo shoots until I was tricked into loving it.
    9. Kelly Price/ "Kelly"- The voice released a heart felt project this year that's vulnerable, powerful and tells the story of a woman not only in and out of love but a woman loving herself. This is by far Kelly's best recorded effort and proves that she is as strong a song writer as she is a vocalist
    10. Robin Thicke - "Love and War"- This cd was just released and I've only had it for a week but this is his best effort to date and has quickly become a favorite this year. A great mixture of blues, neo-soul, r & b. Too many to pick a favorite but just put it in and push play.Name:  bruno.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  12.3 KBName:  teena.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  17.6 KBName:  erob.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  22.2 KBName:  dcc.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  18.5 KBName:  rah.jpg
Size:  16.2 KBName:  roots.jpg
Size:  23.0 KBName:  crouch.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  23.1 KBName:  b4.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  22.0 KBName:  kelly.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  13.9 KBName:  thicke.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  18.4 KB
    Last edited by glencro; 12-15-2011 at 12:49 PM.

LOVE AFTER WAR is the title of Robin Thicke's cd

10 Best Albums

1) Will Young - Echoes
    A big leap forward sonically for the UK Idol winner. Proves to the doubters he can do dance as well as he pulls off love songs.

2) Adele - 21
    Never thought this would be this years equivalent of The Bodyguard or Thriller, the album all ages could enjoy.

3) Amy Winehouse - Lioness : Hidden Treasures
    Makes her death more tragic when you think of what might have come next...

4) Nicole Scherzinger - Killer Love
    This will probably never get a US release since Interscope can't seem to get her a hit here but it's a great pop album.

5) Rebecca Ferguson - Heaven
    Usually reality show winners first albums are pretty dreadful but this girl has put together a great collection of soulful gems.

6) Michael Buble - Christmas
    His voice "Sleigh's" me every time. Instant classic holiday disc...

7) Tony Bennett - Duets II
    Proof positive that older artists still have a lot to offer after 50. Even the stunt casting duets like GaGa are charming.

8) Ed Sheeran - +
    great debut from former UK busker. A Team and Lego House will be massive on Hot AC.

9) Olly Murs - In Case You Didn't Know
    Has two of the strongest pop singles I've heard this year on it plus more delights....

10) Cee Lo Green - The Lady Killer Platinum Edition
    Deserved to do better but F You cast a long shadow here in the states.

Best Reissue Of The Year
    More Hits By The Supremes - Deluxe Edition
    Sheer perfection both sonically and packaging wise...

3 Biggest Disappointments I Purchased
    Beyonce - 4
    Woefully uneven collection. Best Thing I Never Had is still a great track though.

Mary J Blige - My Life II
    When the strongest songs on your album are a Rufus cover and a ballad that was the theme to The Help, you might not want to associate the rest of the project with a modern day Hip Hop classic...

Lady GaGa - Born This Way
    A few strong songs but way too much arty filler.....

THE MARVELETTES FOREVER MORE THE COMPLETE MOTOWN ALBUMS VOLUME 2!!!!! HANDS-DOWN!! THAT FILLS MY ENTIRE TOP 10! lol

olly murs....will young.... oh dear, i might have clicked on the wrong site

anyway there were plenty of good reissues on Ace Kent to keep me happy, the new Anthony Hamilton, Charles Bradley, Marvelettes and More Hits as mentioned above, Bootsy's record was good

there's a new Van Hunt I need to track down but i'm looking forward to some new soulful tips in this thread

I know a lot of this stuff is old, or is rock, but I like everything, and I am into oldies. I also like to keep up on the top 40 stuff, and I advocate hi-rez music. It's closer to the master tapes.

Name:  41ZM1T93dVL._SL500_AA300_ copy.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  79.6 KBName:  Front.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  71.8 KBName:  csn1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  83.2 KBName:  bto-not-fragile.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  20.4 KBName:  5013929882225.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  16.0 KBName:  780014209629.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  15.6 KBName:  150250053 copy.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  46.7 KBName:  17514423.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  17.8 KBName:  51o4Yi5FAQL._SL500_AA300_ copy.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  86.9 KBName:  lenny-kravitz-black-and-white-america.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  14.5 KB
    Last edited by soulster; 12-16-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Soulster, didn't know about the DeBarge collection. Just went to Amazon and placed my order. Thanx for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Soulster, didn't know about the DeBarge collection. Just went to Amazon and placed my order. Thanx for sharing.
    There was a thread about it a few months ago.

My two favorites I bought this year came in the last couple months:

Ronnie McNeir's "Living My Life"

Mayer Hawthorne's "How Do You Do"

Both excellent, like McNeir's better.

Forgot a great one released in 2011: Daryl Hall's "Laughing Down Crying." Top-notch stuff.

* How do you link pictures like the album covers above?

The pictures are already on my hard drive so I simply uploaded them to here. Just use the "Insert image" button.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post
    Forgot a great one released in 2011: Daryl Hall's "Laughing Down Crying." Top-notch stuff.
    * How do you link pictures like the album covers above?
    That's one I've been meaning to pick up. Gotta get it. Loved his "Soul Alone" cd