[REMOVE ADS]

Elbow Bones & The Raketeers - A Night in New York

Okay I know not really Soul but a track I never tire of is ELBOW BONES & THE RACKETEERS - A NIGHT IN NEW YORK, album released in 2000 is now set for release in the UK at last in 2012, I have had a copy from Japan for ages and I feel it does not sound dated at all! Good Radio track.

I take it you mean the first CD issue in the UK jaybs.

I have a copy of the original UK LP release, issued on the "EMI America" label in 1984. I remember hearing "A Night In New York" a couple of times on BBC Radio One as well back then and was fully expecting it to be a big hit, following in the wake of those KID CREOLE & THE COCONUTS hits in 1982/3, but sadly it was never to be.

Roger

Yes Roger first time on CD in the UK, but sells well in Japan

Thanks Jaybs, i've been hoping for a reissue on CD for ever! Even the title track single on CD has been scarce. It was a great project from August Darnell at his creative peak.

"A Night in New York"when released on the EMI label entered the UK Singles Chart on 14 January 1984. It remained in the UK pop chart for nine weeks, peaking at #33.
    As a member of the earlier outfit Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band [[formed in the Bronx in 1974 by Stony Browder, Jr. & his brother August Darnell), Kid Creole had a biggish record on the UK modern soul scene. The track [[can't remember the title at present) was included on one of the group's RCA LP's issued in the mid to late 70's.

It could well have been this track [["Hard Times") off their 1976 self-titled album ........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZY4AkKhjX0

A later cover of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuByCrbi0q4

You kidding???? This is a fine album, and I bought it the minute I heard that song on MTV back in 1985. I had never found it on CD so I did a very nice needle drop of it at 32-bit/96k several years ago. I used MBIT+ for dither and SRC.

The original album was on EMI America.
    Last edited by soulster; 12-11-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks for posting the Elbow Bones track; oddly I had never heard it until yesterday morning as much as I've always loved August Darnel's work both with his brother Stony in Doctor Buzzard and with his own group, The Coconuts. Man,
    this thread sure brings back a lot of great memories. My siblings, cousins and I wore out those original albums and I fell
    permanently in love with the voice of Cory Daye as I would later find out that many in the business like Prince and his
    arch enemy Rick James both did. I always felt Cory's original Hard Times was so beautiful but too short. Myabe it was edited for the album release because if you notice at the fade she's going into another verse...Anyway, Latifah did a
    wonderful job with it too. I was so happy when that woman decided to back off spitting into a mic and concentrate on
    singing into it because baby can blow!...The history of those groups really doesn't get discussed or featured enough for me, I wonder, have they ever been on Unsung?...

Just to let you know the Elbow Bones release date is not set for March and it is available for just £7.99p from Amazon, extended album with 12" cuts, single cuts.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-Dawn-El...0263441&sr=8-1