[REMOVE ADS]

Someone new to talk about: Carrie McDowell

One artist I've rarely heard mentioned on SDF is Carrie McDowell; a pseudo Teena Marie that recorded one album for Motown in the 80's. I came across her name while watching the "Motown Christmas Special" on YouTube.

Here she is singing her "hit" "Casual Sex" written by Willie Hutch.....

Does anyone know much about her?

This is her entry in my book Complete UK Hit Singles: US female singer born Carrie Hodge in Des Moines, Iowa on 11/5/1963. Her single made #68 in the UK.

And I've just spotted a mistake in my eaelier post - she became Carrie Hodge when she got married!

Here's the correct run down:

Something of a childhood singing sensation, Carrie McDowell first came to prominence on Bill Riley’s television talent show ‘Talent Sprouts’ at the age of eight. Born in Des Moines, Iowa on 11 May 1963, Carrie then appeared on several other television shows and released a one off single with MGB [[Over The Rainbow) before her mother took her back to Iowa to attend school. After leaving school Carrie spent time in New York before heading west to Los Angeles and signing with Motown. Her first single was released as Casual Sex in February 1987 but subsequently re-promoted three months later as Uh Uh, No No Casual Sex [[Part 1) and became a minor hit, peaking at #65 R&B and makling #68 in the UK. A further single, When A Woman Loves A Man was lifted off her eponymous album, after which Carrie left Motown. She later married guitarist Michael Hodge and recorded gospel and country music with her husband.
    Last edited by Hotspurman; 12-07-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Song title correction

I have the first single on 12" Motown UK. Its really very good, but then anything with the Willie Hutch name attatched should be...Paulo xxx