[REMOVE ADS]

You hated it then, but you kinda like it now

Are there any songs you once really hated but not kind of like? In other words, if the song came on, you wouldn't necessarily turn it off.

I just heard "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang earlier, and I really didn't mind hearing it. Back in late 1980, when the song was riding up the charts, I really couldn't stand it. I would cover my ears or leave the room. I would turn the radio station. I even resisted buying the album. I disliked it because they purposely mixed it as a pop record, like EWF's "September", which I also really hate. They de-emphasized the rhythm and played up the melody with the keyboards.

That whole turn of the decade club music released between 1979 and 1981 was something that I didn't really pay attention to at the time. Now, I see it for the genius that it is. But I don't think there was ever a song that I hated back then that I like now.

When "Shout" by the Isley Brothers first came out, I hated it. I like it now. I also did not like any James Brown records. I like them now

uptight Guest
    The group SWV when they first came out. I thought the lead singer, Cheryl "Coko" Clemons, sang many notes too sharp. But it was a style that I began to enjoy in them.

I bought Bootsy Rubber Band's Stretchin' Out when it was first released, played it once and hated it so much I took it back to the shop and swapped it for something safe by The Isley Brothers. A few years later I felt compelled to try again with Bootsy, especially as I was into the whole Parliament thang, and found it much better. It's still not one of my favourites, but there are certain tracks that hit the spot.

When I was a kid, I didn't like Dionne Warwick or the Fifth Dimension. Their records were too pop for me. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I really began to appreciate Dionne as a vocalist, and went to investigate her catalog. As a result, she became one of my faves. I began to really enjoy the Fifth as well, and went on to buy a couple of their collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    I bought Bootsy Rubber Band's Stretchin' Out when it was first released, played it once and hated it so much I took it back to the shop and swapped it for something safe by The Isley Brothers. A few years later I felt compelled to try again with Bootsy, especially as I was into the whole Parliament thang, and found it much better. It's still not one of my favourites, but there are certain tracks that hit the spot.
    Which is why I'm glad that I discovered P-Funk the way that I did. By the time I started to buy up the back catalog, I was totally ready for Bootsy's first album.

ROBERT KELLY...............A shape shifter/emulater to the umpteenth power..........but I gotta give him credit [[reluctantly) for a good number of his tracks.