[REMOVE ADS]

Guilty pleasures you don't normally talk about....................

http://www.crystalballrecords.com/182.html

Did you ever have an album/CD that you loved and you couldn't quite figure out why......and, you don't really share with others for fear of embarrassment? One of my very favorite CD's is a cast of unknowns. The sound is 'rough and raw' to say the least and not even by the original artist. I'm sure many, if not most people, wouldn't find this appealing. I'm not big on re-makes by others. So, what is it that makes me play this over and over? Hmmm. I guess I like the 'rough around the edges' sound and not all slicked up and polished? Just can't put my finger on it. Whatever. Just wondered if anyone else had some guilty pleasures they don't normally talk about and they were left scratching their heads?

Be careful. The last time this topic came up on SDF, some feathers were ruffled.

Why should anyone care what music you like? Why should you care what anyone thinks?

Wow....I was just asking a simple question with no agendas. Apparently, I made a mistake.

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't attacking you, or your thread. I was saying that you should be proud of what music you like to listen to.
    Last edited by soulster; 12-05-2011 at 07:17 PM.

And I will say again: airbody has their own guilty pleasures. Namely those one hit wonders who came in with a hit that was infectious, but undeniably corny. And there is nothing wrong with that. For me personally, "Putting On The Ritz" by Taco was a favorite of mine. And believe me, that was definitely a guilty pleasure.

I've always loved "Move Over Darling" by DORIS DAY, from the film of the same name [[which incidentally was a Top 10 hit here in Merrie Olde England in the middle of the time when the UK charts were dominated by the likes of THE BEATLES/ROLLING STONES/SEARCHERS etc. etc. etc.)

Here is the tune on Youtube .. so make sure no one is around and enjoy ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XkVORAuC1Y

Roger ....

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    And I will say again: airbody has their own guilty pleasures. Namely those one hit wonders who came in with a hit that was infectious, but undeniably corny. And there is nothing wrong with that. For me personally, "Putting On The Ritz" by Taco was a favorite of mine. And believe me, that was definitely a guilty pleasure.
    Well, OK, now that I think about it, I do get some strange looks when it becomes obvious to people i'm around that I like "Hello" Martin Solveig & Dragonette whenever it comes on.

There was a thread like this a few years ago. I like Bacharach and Dylan but some folks look at you like you're crazy when you play them [[lol). Dylan has cuts that are clearly in the vein of rap music [[with country music) such "It's Allright Maw." So it's country music with rap lyrics [[look out).

My eyes collide head on with stuff
    Graveyards false goals I scuff
    At pettiness which plays so rough
    Walk upside down inside handcuffs
    Kick my legs to crash it off and say,
    ok I've had enough what else can you show me
    Last edited by mr_june; 12-07-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    There was a thread like this a few years ago. I like Bacharach and Dylan but some folks look at you like you're crazy when you play them [[lol). Dylan has cuts that are clearly in the vein of rap music [[with country music) such "It's Allright Maw." So it's country music with rap lyrics [[look out).

My eyes collide head on with stuff
    Graveyards false goals I scuff
    At pettiness which plays so rough
    Walk upside down inside handcuffs
    Kick my legs to crash it off and say,
    ok I've had enough what else can you show me
    Would someone as iconic as Dylan be considered a guilty pleasure? He ain't someone that I listen to on a daily basis, but I can't see him as a guilty pleasure.

Redneck Woman - Gretchen Wilson
    New Yorks a Lonely Town - Tradewinds
    Take a Chance on Me - Abba
    Get Dancin - Disco Tex and the Sexolettes [[Featuring Monte Rock)
    and Masturbation.....LOL

I forgot to mention The Battle of the Green Beret - Sgt Barry Sadler.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Redneck Woman - Gretchen Wilson
    New Yorks a Lonely Town - Tradewinds
    Take a Chance on Me - Abba
    Get Dancin - Disco Tex and the Sexolettes [[Featuring Monte Rock)
    and Masturbation.....LOL
    Now how did Abba sneak it's way into this thread?

Abba is an extremely talented group we all know that but as a child I NEVER told anyone I was listening to Voulez-Vous,
    or Take a Chance On Me. Dancing Queen seemed to be acceptable but it was never cool to say Hey Im listening to ABBA! Nobody I knew mentioned them although now its no big deal. I still am proud of them but I cant bring myself to talk to them about anyone except music lovers. Its cool to like Tony Bennett and Andy Williams and people of that ilk now because young people have discovered them and todays music is so horrible but ABBA is an acquired taste when it comes to conversation with some people including myself. I dont like everything they did but most of their output was good. I dont think I could sit through Mamma Mia though.

I kind of liked Take a Chance on Me; Im gonna say it-I loved Afternoon Delight. The harmonies knocked me out.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Abba is an extremely talented group we all know that but as a child I NEVER told anyone I was listening to Voulez-Vous,
    or Take a Chance On Me. Dancing Queen seemed to be acceptable but it was never cool to say Hey Im listening to ABBA! Nobody I knew mentioned them although now its no big deal. I still am proud of them but I cant bring myself to talk to them about anyone except music lovers. Its cool to like Tony Bennett and Andy Williams and people of that ilk now because young people have discovered them and todays music is so horrible but ABBA is an acquired taste when it comes to conversation with some people including myself. I dont like everything they did but most of their output was good. I dont think I could sit through Mamma Mia though.
    You know how I feel. They don't even to the level of guilty pleasure in my book. Like swallowing a jar of sugar straight up.

I've fessed up before to a whole collection of cartoon/fictional band stuff that I think is pretty cool. How can you not like:

sink or swim - the hardy boys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS-Od8fN0KY

ride ride ride - the archies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwHj...eature=related

dance with me - the wonders
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29pZdMDDhJY

surfin' craze - Jimmy Darrock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7h5rZU72OE

Chi, I have all of the Archies albums! I love 'em! My favorite songs off that first album are: "Boys And Girls", "Truck Driver", "Seventeen Ain't Young", "Looking Out For Fun", and "Bang Shang-A-Lang"!