[REMOVE ADS]

Motortown Revue Live In Paris.

I`ve just received "More Hits" more brilliance from the Hip-O team - take a bow.Included are 3 more sides from this wonderful show.Having "Soul Stomp" from Earl Van Dyke plus the Miracles "That`s What Love Is Made Of" from the same show on "A Complete Introduction To Tamla Motown" I am inclined to assume that there may be more live tracks by Martha & The Vandellas and Stevie Wonder awaiting release.As there are 2 more songs that were spoilt it would suggest that the other acts did longer sets.

Explain more, Roger. I bought this album [[Paris) back in Roman times. Are you telling me More Hits has some more stuff from it - in particular more tracks from my hero, Earl?

Quote Originally Posted by bankhousedave View Post
    Explain more, Roger. I bought this album [[Paris) back in Roman times. Are you telling me More Hits has some more stuff from it - in particular more tracks from my hero, Earl?
    I'm not Roger. But the new MORE HITS BY THE SUPREMES collection has two more performances that weren't on the MOTORTOWN REVUE IN PARIS album: YOU'RE NOBODY 'TIL SOMEBODY LOVES YOU and SHAKE. I've also read that COME SEE ABOUT ME and PEOPLE were recorded, but had audio problems. So its likely that there are more unreleased songs from the other acts as well.

Thanks Reese. Any word about more instrumentals from the sextet - Earl, Robert, Jack, Tony Newton, Eli Fontaine and Bob Cousar?

No, sorry. George Solomon pops in often. He could answer that one. I know there is an Earl Van Dyke set coming soon, but I don't know if any Paris tracks are included.

Dave there is a box set titled "A Complete Introduction To Tamla Motown" which is available with the Earl Van Dyke & Miracles tracks on. I`m sorry if my thread was ambiguous.It also contains the following unreleased on cd. tracks:
    Temptations-"Cloud Nine" & "Runaway Child--" plus Stevie Wonder`s "I Was Made To Love Her" & Signed, Sealed, Delivered --" from their respective Talk Of The Town albums.

The live version of 'Cloud Nine' from the Talk of the Town lp was included on "The Temptations 25th Anniversary" 2 cd set.

To pj1, sorry `bout that - you can`t believe everything you read.

Pity this show wasn't 'taped' as well -- no doubt EVD & his band would have performed a couple [[at least) of instro numbers to open the show ...........
    Attachment 3932

That's an interesting one, JS. 'Entire orchestra' [[but this time, chiefly, yourselves! Old British TV joke, even I don't get.) I wonder what that consisted of. Suggests they may even have had strings.

Js that would have been quite a show.There must be many EVD. live tracks sitting in the vaults - hopefully we will get some on the eagerly awaited release.

If you listen to the Fred Jackson album on Bluenote, you cannot doubt what a career in jazz Earl could have had. On Jamerson's advice, he went to Motown, and certainly made more money and got more regular work. But he was a genius, especially as an accompanist, and his Motown career wiped out the possibility of jazz stardom [[even if that would have been accompanied by malnutrition). Earl was denied the possibility of a Workshop album, although Johnny Griffith got one, so he is terribly under-represented as a solo. It's in the nature of jazz that most artists' greatest performances were never recorded, and they were haunted by the cold cuts they put down in studios, but I know from talking to Mickey that a jam was recorded on the end of almost every session at 2648. If they didn't use the tape to bulk out packages, it's still in those vaults somewhere.

Very interesting Dave thanks.Do you like "Heartbreak" at the conclusion of "Jr. Walker & All Stars Live" the first one.

Roger:

I only ever heard it once, back in the early 70s. I've been asking if anyone can send me an MP3 or somesuch. I remember that was also a meltdown B3 from the master.

Dave I can only send you a cd. copy if that will do.

Sounds bloody marvellous to me, Roger. Much appreciated. Hit me at dave.randle@bankhousebooks.com and I'll give you the details.

DAVE

Check you emails Dave.It will be the "Jr. Walker Live" cd. including the Vevelettes intro. and "Heartbreak" all ready to go.

Fantastic. Thanks so much Roger. I really have not herar this album since the week it was originally released.

I recall an incident when Freda Payne had arrived at Heathrow airport ahead of a UK tour to promote her Invictus hits; she was met by a delegation from EMI Records [[who handled Invictus in the UK).
    During the introductions, Freda name checked her tour band leader, one EVD.
    The guys from EMI [[who had put out some old instro 45's on Tamla-Motown by him due to demand here) immediately turned to Earl and asked "What, the FAMOUS Earl Van Dyke ?".
    Needless to say, Earl was totally nonplussed that they had even heard of him.

Roger:

Am away for Christmas. Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated the Jr Live album. Not had chance to play it yet.will do, and get back to you.

Dave

To revert to the original subject for a mo', I saw the Tamla Motown Show on Saturday 20 March 1965, on the opening night of the tour that culminated at the Olympia, Paris on 13 April. I wrote down the songs performed by the main acts in my programme, which I still have, and the set list was as follows:

Martha & the Vandellas: Heat Wave, Wild One, Nowhere To Run, Dancing In The Street
    Stevie Wonder: "12 Bar Blues" [[probably Fingertips), Hi Heel Sneakers, Funny [[How Time Slips Away), Kiss Me Baby
    Supremes: Where Did Our Love Go, Baby Love, Somewhere, Stop! In The Name Of Love, Shake
    Miracles: I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying, That's What Love Is Made Of, Ooo Baby Baby, Come On Do The Jerk, Mickey's Monkey

The differences between this list and the list of the tracks from the Olympia concert released to date show that the acts didn't stick to a fixed set list throughout the tour, and maybe offer some hints as to what other tracks may remain unreleased on the master tape of the Olympia concert.

Sad to report that on this, the only occasion on which I saw Earl Van Dyke perform, I didn't record what tracks he played!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Pity this show wasn't 'taped' as well -- no doubt EVD & his band would have performed a couple [[at least) of instro numbers to open the show ...........
    Attachment 3932
    What town did the above concert take place? Thanks.

Many thanks Keith, hopefully the other tracks you listed will appear in the not too distant future.I`m so envious of you witnessing that show, if only it had been video taped.

Roger:

Sorry it took a little while to get back to you. This is a strange album. Like Earl of Funk, it seems to be an amalgam of two things. Junior sounds so young on the live part, but he is not supported by Earl or the Funks on that gig. I would say that was Willie Woods, James Graves and Vic Thomas, with the Rev providing bass when required on the pedalboard [[will listen again). The Heartbreak track is like the one added to the end of Earl of Funk, where the earlier tracks are recorded live with Robert White, Jamerson and [[Detroit saxophonist), George Benson, there's this crashing edit and it suddenly is another combo with Hank Cosby on sax. This album is the same. All of Junior's live tracks with the All Stars are very short. That in itself is no reason to add anything. They could just have put in more short Junior jams. But there is this track credited to Earl, which is clearly one of those things Mickey recorded between sessions. It doesn't say it's Junior on sax, and I don't think it is. I think it's Hank again.

Is Hank Cosby playing on a Junior Walker album a bigger scandal than the Andantes playing on a Supremes album?

Who can say?

Happy New Year Dave. I`m not sure where this was recorded other than it was Detroit as the Funks were in attendance -it could have been a Motown Monday then it would have been the "Roostertail". The Earl Van Dyke Band would have only backed the Velvelettes, Jr. is backed by his All Stars only with Victor Graves on Hammond pedals as you say. "Heartbreak" I think was a between acts interlude and only featured the Funks. It can also be heard at the conclusion of the wonderful "Four Tops Live" but only the start.
    I don`t think Hank Cosby is playing on Jr`s set.

Marv2,
    ....... Not checked this thread for a while so missed your question originally.
    The venue was the Lyric Opera House [[now Lyric Model Performing Arts Centre). Its located at 140 W. Mt Royal Ave. in Baltimore. The Supremes / EVD show was stage in late November 1965.
    The building still exists & is in use though it has been completely renovated down the years. The final phase of the Lyric’s modernization [[to a plan originally developed in the mid-1970’s) to renovate and update the facility is just being completed. Originally the Lyric was built as a concert hall but due to limitations of the stage-house and technical systems it was unable to preserve its historic legacy. Its ability to attract & support first class performing arts, educational and community-based events was compromised, hence the extensive & expensive update / modernisation to bring its facilities up to date.

Interesting Roger. I used to have Four Tops Live, and thought it was the best live Motown album. It would figure that, not only was Earl the bandleader for that, but that the track on Junior's album was actually a lift from that show. The whole baalnce and mixing of the thing is different from the rest of the album. If it is from the Tops show, it's probably not Hank, as I don't think he ever went out on the road.