[REMOVE ADS]

Stevie Wonder to Compete on Dancing With the Stars???

Stevie Wonder could compete on ‘DWTS’

By Melissa Hank

2011-12-01

The blind singer is in talks to hoof it on reality show

Stevie Wonder isn’t letting a little thing like being blind stop him from competing on Dancing With the Stars. The 61-year-old “Superstition” singer has announced that he’s training to bust a move on the upcoming season of the ABC dancing reality show.

Wonder is in talks with the Alphabet network for a spot in the next go-round of the ratings-grabber, reports the New York Daily News. And the musician is fueling the fire by hinting at an appearance via the media.

“You've got to think. If I have seven children, I've got to be able to dance right?” he said in a recent radio interview. “It'd be fun. It's not impossible, but right now it's just a thought.”

And on Wednesday’s episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Wonder confessed, “I’m losing weight. When I get to where I feel like I’m gonna look good enough for what I wanna do I'll do that.”

If Wonder did hit the dance floor for the show’s eighth season, he would be the first blind celebrity to do so. Although, the series has featured stars with disabilities before – deaf actress Marlee Matlin placed seventh in Season 6, and amputee Heather Mills placed seventh in Season 4.

Wonder, who has won 25 Grammy Awards including a Lifetime Achievement Award, was born with a condition called retinopathy of prematurity [[ROP), an eye disease that affects premature babies.

The seventh season of Dancing With the Stars wrapped up Nov. 22, with U.S. Army veteran and actor J.R. Martinez and his partner Karina Smirnoff taking home the Mirror Ball Trophy. Reality show star Rob Kardashian was the runner-up, and talk show host Ricki Lake placed third.

Seventh-place transgender contestant Chaz Bono, the son of Sonny Bono and Cher, recently announced that he was trying to round up several other male competitors to headline a male version of the daytime talk show The View.

The ABC drama Castle is planning a DWTS-themed episode for next spring. DWTS host Tom Bergeron guest-starred on Castle in April 2010, playing a late-night talk show host, but he will not be appearing in the DWTS-themed episode.

Dancing With the Stars is set to return March 19, 2012, on CTV and ABC.

Thoughts? melissa@tvguide.ca or comment below

Very Superstisious....xxx

It's strange that this surfaced in the news again today [[I also saw the headline on the internet), because I remember him stating this in an interview last year.

It sounds like he's fishing; it doesn't sound concrete at all.