[REMOVE ADS]

Post Mono /Stereo mixes of Motown 60ts albums

Are there any noticeable issues where the mixes are different...?....what would be the period when LPS were released in both formats?......is there a previous thread on this topic?....thanks

On The Marvelettes' Greatest Hits, the Mono versions of the songs which had not previously appeared on album [[You're My Remedy, Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead, As Long as I Know He's Mine, and a couple others) are much more punchy and vibrant on the Mono LP. You're My Remedy, especially, has a little echo on the lead vocal which gives it more immediacy. Danger Heartbreak, the piano is much more prominent and sinister and up front in the Mono mix. To me, the Stereo versions sound muddy and too tame.

Usually the mono lps had better sound quality and many times different takes are included. I think the mono/stereo mixes were issued commercially until late 1967 or early 1968.

Martha and the Vandellas Live is a particularly good example of differences. Side A is a completely different show in mono than the one used in stereo.