[REMOVE ADS]

Elvis Costello urges fans not to buy his box set as retail price is too high

Elvis Costello says 'Don't buy my record'

D.I.S.H.
    Elvis Costello urges fans not to buy his box set as retail price is too high

November 25, 2011

Elvis Costello doesn't want you to buy his latest release, The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook.

The 3-disc live box set is limited to 1500 copies worldwide, and each set is individually numbered with a special commemoration card autographed Costello. The super deluxe package includes a 40-page hardcover book packed with candid photos, a tour diary of Costello's musings, a 20″ x 30″ concert tour poster and a limited edition postcard.

Despite all that, Costello says the asking price — $262.39 at last check on Amazon – is ridiculous. So, he says you should buy a Louis Armstrong collection instead.

A statement on his website reads:

"Unfortunately, we at www.elviscostello.com find ourselves unable to recommend this lovely item to you as the price appears to be either a misprint or a satire.

"All our attempts to have this number revised have been fruitless but rather than detain you with tedious arguments about morality, panache and book-keeping – when there are really bigger fish to filet these days – we are taking the following unusual step.

"If you should really want to buy something special for your loved one at this time of seasonal giving, we can whole-heartedly recommend, 'Ambassador Of Jazz' – a cute little imitation suitcase, covered in travel stickers and embossed with the name 'Satchmo' but more importantly containing TEN re-mastered albums by one of the most beautiful and loving revolutionaries who ever lived ' Louis Armstrong.

"The box should be available for under one hundred and fifty American dollars and includes a number of other tricks and treats. Frankly, the music is vastly superior.

"If on the other hand you should still want to hear and view the component parts of the above mentioned elaborate hoax, then those items will be available separately at a more affordable price in the New Year, assuming that you have not already obtained them by more unconventional means."

I love it!!!!

WOW! This guy is humble isnt he that is the first time I have heard of an artist begging fans not to buy something of theirs.

it's reverse promo...and I don't need convincing not to buy anything from this borefest, fake punk!..I'll take Wayne/Jayne County any day of the week, thank you....

Yeah...That sounds like reverse promo to me too. It seems to me that a majority of those who would buy Costello's music in box set form would also buy or even know anything about Armstrong. They are two different worlds. Die hard Costello fans with that kind of money to spend will snatch up a limited to 1500 world-wide release anyway.

"assuming that you have not already obtained them by more unconventional means."

I wonder what they meant by that statement? What other unconventional means ???

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Yeah...That sounds like reverse promo to me too. It seems to me that a majority of those who would buy Costello's music in box set form would also buy or even know anything about Armstrong. They are two different worlds. Die hard Costello fans with that kind of money to spend will snatch up a limited to 1500 world-wide release anyway.

"assuming that you have not already obtained them by more unconventional means."

Illegal downloading and file sharing.

i notice Jimi has a strong opinion on a lot of stuff but he's wrong on Elvis. Elvis was never punk and never pretended to be, he appeared at about the same time and initially got thrown in with the whole 'new wave' movement but his body of work since then has by far transcended all of that

HOWEVER i would say that i've been to many Elvis Costello shows and i've also seen one almost hit Jayne County in action and there was no question about who played with more fire and attitude and it wasn't queenie.... borefest depends on taste i suppose, to me he's up with Smokey as a songwriter

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post

as i've mentioned before, I follow Elvis and don't believe 'reverse promo' is the case here but a genuine regard for fans [[ i'm angry at him for cancelling his Warsaw show though )

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    as i've mentioned before, I follow Elvis and don't believe 'reverse promo' is the case here but a genuine regard for fans [[ i'm angry at him for cancelling his Warsaw show though )
    I have to admit that I am not familiar with Mr. Costello's work except for a couple of tracks I have heard on T.V. or Web radio etc ,but I am aware of his popularity and size of his fan base. My comment was based only on the information in jobeterob's inital post and in no way a statement against or discrediting Mr. Costello's work. It was just that a few things just crossed my mind as I read the article.
    1) This seems to be a "high quality piece" configuration . 3 discs of "Live" recordings, [[I would guess its an "live anthology" type set with live tracks of his work instead of just 3 discs of studio tracks.) That in itself is an interesting concept for any artist that have enough live tracks of their popular recordings to put together a live greatest hits package. It's limited to 1500 copies worldwide, and each set is individually numbered with a special commemoration card autographed Costello. The super deluxe package includes a 40-page hardcover book packed with candid photos, a tour diary of Costello's musings, a 20″ x 30″ concert tour poster and a limited edition postcard. That's a nice set and there's a few artists that I feel the same way you expressed about Elvis and If they came out with a set of that quality, I'd think about spending $250 for .....IF I couldn't find it for less. 1500 units worldwide at that price might be a stretch. Think of how much it cost to put that package together. The packaging and manufacturing cost of a hardcover booklet , the poster and other ditties ,legal clearence etc. I'd expect it to be around $100-$150 at retail.

2) I would think that the artist would have had some knowledge of the concept and packaging of the project and it's production cost-retail price etc. After all, he is getting royalties per unit and publishing etc. So how much was he thinking it would sell for...bottom line.

3) It just seemed to be a lot of money , shocking amount of money , for any box set , and I sure would check out the details of it ,if not just for curiousity sake. As I write this I found that it's a pre order price and..... the set is [[disc 1) a live CD , [[disc2) a DVD , [[disc 3) a 10" vinyl . And guess what??? The price is now $202 , $60 less than first stated and.....there is still 9 days until official release. I bet that price will drop or stay the same ,depending on how many pre-orders are made. http://www.amazon.com/Return-Spectac...s_all_1#disc_1

Now I don't blame the artist because there is but so much control they have over "marketing" of a release , but if I was in charge of selling those 1500 units ,I'd want to get as much as I could @ the highest markup possible at the jump off. There's folks that will say ,I want this now!!! and kick up the money. Say 300 world wide. That leaves you 1200 to distribute @ wholesale to outlets that will sell @retail. If it cost $50 to manufacture and you sell it to retail sellers for say $100 , then the retailers can sell it for at least $150-200. But then there would only be 1200 to distribute to sellers world-wide.

4) The info source is from a web site that Mr. Costello may not have first hand knowledge of what is being posted.

From your comparison to Smokey I have put Costello on my "check deeper into" artist list , cause that is a deep statement.
    Just curious , would this set be something you as a Costello fan be interested in? And at what price , considering the limited edition of 1500........
    that's worldwide........

I gambled on "THE FOUR TOP'S , LOST And FOUND" , and the price dropped after pre-sale when other sites had it and I waited a little longer [[5000 copies , I didn't think would sell very fast) ,and bang...... the sucker was sold out and folks was selling used copies for $100+. I finally had to sin and download a copy and print the artwork. I kick myself every time I think of it.
    They know that there are people like us out there and they know from stats and charts that they could possibly sell the majority of the 1500 units well over the $50 manufacturing cost price ,which would be the "cut out" wholesale price .

It's all a game.........

He sounds sincere. After all, he's telling us that the albums will be available individually [[and cheaper). Elvis doesn't need the money. He has no control over what the record company does.

I am not very familiar with Costello's work, and, frankly, not too interested, either.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-28-2011 at 10:37 AM.

I never liked Costello's music much but anyway--I agree this is too much for a box set. In an era where people can download anything they want for free, it isn't wise to gouge people.

On the other hand, many believed the Beatles mono box was/is over-priced, but the mono versions are not available individually. You have to get the box unless you are willing to illegally download it.