[REMOVE ADS]

Once upon a time there was a group that later became chic

Ran across these 1976 clips of Nile Rodgers, Bernard Edwards & Tony Thompson jamming in their band THE BIG APPLE BAND. By the sounds of things, their future success was inevitable.

Weren't they the backing band for NEW YORK CITY [[Of "Doing Fine Now" fame??)

I'm sure i heard a radio interview years agow where one of them [[presumably NILE ROGERS?) stated that they decided to "go it alone" when NEW YORK CITY decided to disband after completing a tour of England.

Roger

Wow! Thanks for those! Even from these clips, you can tell their basic sound had already gelled. All they had to do is get rid of their lead singer, all a keyboard player, and slow it down a bit. But, i'll bet if Maurice White had seen them cover of "Getaway", he would have considered the two for replacements in EWF if something should have happened.

I was at the Westin Hotel at the Ren Cen...probably late 1976. I was in the lobby and saw a couple of guys and a couple of young ladies standing around the lobby standing next to some instruments. The musician in me got my curiosity, and I walked up to one of the guys standing next to a guitar case [[I guess it was Nile Rogers) and asked them who they played with? The guy told me they were a group named Chic. It sounded vaguely familiar and I was telling this guy that I had played bass around Detroit. He pointed to the other guy standing a few feet away and said "that's our bass player" [[Bernard Edwards I guess). We spoke for a few minutes about whatever gig they were doing in town and I wished him good luck. I guess it worked lol
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-25-2011 at 01:37 PM.