[REMOVE ADS]

Jose Feliciano with Martha Reeves and Gladys Horton!!

Going through some vinyl albums earlier today, l came across one of Jose Feliciano's albums, no not one his Motown albums, but an album he did for RCA in 1974 called "For my love....Mother Music", i remember being particularly excited about this album because Martha Reeves [[courtesy of MCA Records) and Gladys Horton are part of the backing group on a song called "Mother Music", both are mentioned on the back of the album cover, does anyone know if Gladys did any other session work at any time?
    Also l have an album by Joanne Mackell called "Joanne Mackell" on the United Artists label from 1978 and Martha Reeves does background on a song called "Dr Feelgood", Martha appearing courtesy of Fantasy Records.
    If anyone knows of any other background sessions with Martha like the above mentioned please post on this Forum, no need to mention "Oh My My" by Ringo Starr.

In her book, Martha wrote that she did some background vocals on Marvin Gaye's LET'S GET IT ON. But I'm not sure if she meant the single or the album.

That's amazing that they did those backgrounds. I never knew that. I love his voice though I think his earlier RCA material is better than his Motown output.

Scherrie Payne also did backing vocals on another Jose Feliciano album, the self-titled one he did for Motown in 1980. I know Martha also did backing vocals for both a Lon & Derrek Van Eaton LP in 1981 and a Ringo Starr LP, along with Lynda Laurence. Martha's also on Betty Davis "Crashin From Passion". There are others I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    Scherrie Payne also did backing vocals on another Jose Feliciano album, the self-titled one he did for Motown in 1980. I know Martha also did backing vocals for both a Lon & Derrek Van Eaton LP in 1981 and a Ringo Starr LP, along with Lynda Laurence. Martha's also on Betty Davis "Crashin From Passion". There are others I'm sure.
    Mark - many thanks for that info. I had heard of Martha doing backgrounds for Lon & Derrek Van Eaton, l have now found the album concerned, it is called "Who do you out do" [[A & M Records).
    With regards to the Betty Davis track, l had never heard of this before, so l did some research and found about 3 CDs that contained these album tracks, do you know if Martha appeared on all of the album? Shame that the CD is so highly priced!!!!!!!!!!

I have the album and it's listed on discogs.com. Martha and The Pointer Sisters are credited, but it doesn't say on what tracks. I would have to listen to the album again, presumably all. It's also been re-released as "Hangin' Out in Hollywood", I think copies of that are cheaper.

I see that the Jose Feliciano album was produced by Jose along with Steve Cropper. Might be worth a listen...