[REMOVE ADS]

Berry's kids. This is a great documentary.

I'm pretty sure this is part of the 4 hour [[?) MOTOWN 40: THE MUSIC IS FOREVER documentary aired back in 1998 - it is good stuff and an official DVD/VHS release of it does not seem to exist...

Yes you're right Ejuther, it is from Motown 40.
    I have this on a DVD [[from a VHS transfer). Its my all time favorite Motown documentary, I really wish they'd show it again on TV.
    I've started a page where I'll show my complete collection of rare Motown DVDs eventually.

http://www.gattiweb.com/soulmusic.html
    Last edited by scanspeak; 11-25-2011 at 09:56 AM.

This is the best Motown documentary ever. Alot of the key players were still alive. This is the only documentary on Motown where even Diana Ross participated. Her insight was good because we have never heard her stories, or her point of view on the whole thing.

Thanks Roberta! I never saw this--it's great. Berry is a hero of mine.

that is not the order in which it aired on television. It is completely out of sequence on Youtube and parts are completely missing. Why is it called "Berry's Kid's"? It doesn't make sense.

If you read the intro, it says he couldn't find part one of this special, so he just posted part 2.

I forgot how good it was; thanks Roberta.

You dont have that many hits for that long without talent..........says Berry and Suzanne.

Berry says Love Child was the biggest selling Supremes record EVER!

And Aretha says they needed to move from Detroit.........and Smokey says they had to.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And Aretha says they needed to move from Detroit.........and Smokey says they had to.
    He even said it in English so I believe anyone who listened or even cared, heard it!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He even said it in English so I believe anyone who listened or even cared, heard it!
    lol....................

Ya, this is a tough documentary for the negatories to swallow...........Berry, Smokey, Diana, Aretha, Clive Davis and Suzanne saying how great Motown, Berry, Michael and Diana were.

It should be "must" watching for the moaners, naysayers, whiners and general n'er do wells.

Good job Roberta for reminding us of this gem.

Motown 40 was the best documentary that the company ever put together.

I'm probably 20 years too late asking this question--but why don't Berry and Suzanne do more interviews? They come off great! Berry's enthusiasm is infectious! And Suzanne comes across as the steady, younger hand of Berry--which is great! What is Suzanne doing these days? I admire her,too!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Motown 40 was the best documentary that the company ever put together.
    Yes it was. I taped it in both parts when it aired back in 1998. They included more of the acts in this one.

When you are at the top of the heap, you aren't available much; you don't do a lot of interviews; it's very much little the day after Barack Obama was inaugurated, he got involved in some little argument about a soldier or something.........and never again. He's above it.

When you are one of the small guys, you are out on Facebook and other media, scrambling for every gig, and you talk to anyone who will talk to you.

But not when you have 400 million dollars and you won all the lotteries.

This is one reason there is dissension among the Motown ranks.........because for every Berry, Smokey, Diana, Suzanne and Lionel.............there are a dozen other Motowners that got left with very little and in the last 15 years, even the royalties from CD sales tanked. So, there is a reason for some of the bitterness. The best of them, Martha Reeves for example, got over it.

Here is the intro. to the 1998 television special: "Motown at 40"

Yes you're right Ejuther, it is from Motown 40.
    I have this on a DVD [[from a VHS transfer). Its my all time favorite Motown documentary, I really wish they'd show it again on TV.
    I've started a page where I'll show my complete collection of rare Motown DVDs eventually.

http://www.gattiweb.com/soulmusic.html
    That's great you have those on DVD, scanspeak - I've never seen the MOTOWN RETURNS TO THE APOLLO special...how is it? [[also, I sent you an email/private message, too)

Here's a shortened clip of a great show................Motown Returns to the Apollo

The Long Version of the Finale