[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes' Songs Chronological Database

Inspired by these boards [[and just plain curious myself) I've decided to compile a database of Supremes songs based on recording dates so they can be ordered chronologically. I'm getting the bulk of the information from this great site:
    http://www.dftmc.info/artists/as-03.html
    as well as liner notes from CDs and whatnot. One thing that gives me pause about the DFTMC site for this project though is that they give the "date completed" but that may not be when the vocals were recorded. For instance, for "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" the DFTMC site says this:

"recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 26-Mar-68 ; produced by Frank Wilson ; [lead - Diana, Mary, Flo]"

The problem is obvious [[besides Diana not taking a lead verse, just Mary & Flo do): Flo was long gone by 26-Mar-68 so I don't know for sure when the vocals were recorded. Does anyone know any resources I can access that will help with the actual vocal session dates since that's what I'm most interested in? If not, I'll just do the best with what I can get. Thanks in advance.

PS: Once I'm done with this I'll be happy to share it with anyone else interested. For the time being, I'm just going to do the songs up through Diana's departure.

i started a simular task a while back. in some cases this web site has only the original release dates of albums unless otherwise noted. as the deluxe editions have come out more info has come forward and can be found on some of the songs. the above song was recorded with Cindy [if that date is accurate].....the Disner album recordings began in january 1967 and resumed with Cindy in sept 67.

the above song was recorded with Cindy [if that date is accurate].....the Disner album recordings began in january 1967 and resumed with Cindy in sept 67.
    Except that it's clearly Flo and not Cindy singing on the song - so even though it may have been "completed" on March 26, 1968 [[and I have no reason to doubt that it was), that's not when the vocals [[at least Flo's) were recorded. The reason this project seems interesting to me is that Supremes songs would be recorded and then not used for years sometimes so knowing when a song was "completed" as opposed to "recorded" becomes important. And, obviously, I'm most interested in when a song's vocals were recorded. I know that people on the board have been amazing sources of information about this kind of thing so I just thought I'd ask...

u r correst ,that is just Mary and Flo. perhaps the songs wasnt completed but this song is obviously from the earlier recording dates 1-67 thru 4-67

on the NEVER BEFORE RELEASED MASTERS cd, it lists the recording date as january 1967.

Maybe it's a good idea to ask Andy Skurow or someone else of Harry Weinger's staff to produce a Supremes' Songs Chronological Database. They must have all the correct data of all the released Supremes material in their computers. If not here, maybe on the Classic Motown site?

on the NEVER BEFORE RELEASED MASTERS cd, it lists the recording date as january 1967.
    Thanks - I don't have that actual CD/booklet anymore [[I somehow lost it years ago) but was able to find this online which tells me the recording dates.
    Name:  Masters Info.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  46.3 KB
    Maybe it's a good idea to ask Andy Skurow or someone else of Harry Weinger's staff to produce a Supremes' Songs Chronological Database. They must have all the correct data of all the released Supremes material in their computers. If not here, maybe on the Classic Motown site?
    That would be great...

I have this CD, however, the back of the CD does not have the picture of the three singers as shown on the picture shown above. It centers all the names of the songs [[all 27 are included). The bar scan numbere is 5010-99075-2.

Just to follow up on this - what's the best way to ask people like Andy and Harry [[and George Solomon?) for this information? Through this site or is there a better way to contact them? I can look for them in postings here but I've not been around long enough to know for sure if that's the best way to go about something like this. Thanks in advance...

I too have the "Never-Before Released Masters CD, and like Woodward my copy also has the song titles centered on a plain yellow back cover. I have noticed that not only are the graphics different but the running times of some of the tracks as well. Here are the track times taken from my copy:

Sweet Thing [2:31]
    It's Going All the Way [[To True Love) [3:01]
    A Little Breeze [2:57]
    Am I Asking Too Much [2:29]
    Stormy 3:03]
    Slow Down [3:03]
    Don't Let True Love Die [2:52]
    Too Much A Little Too Soon [3:09]
    Too Hurt To Cry, Too Much In Love To Say Goodbye [2:48]
    Can I Get A Witness [3:05]
    Come Into my Palace [2:28]
    I'm The Exception To The Rule [2:54]
    Our Day Will Come [2:42]
    Save Me A Star [2:21]
    Mr Blues [2:16]
    Little Miss Loser [2:41]
    Fancy Passes [3:43]
    The Ballad Of Davy Crockett [2:38]
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious [1:54]
    Whistle While You Work [2:18]
    I've Got No Strings [2:43]
    A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes 2:46]
    The Land Of Make Believe [2:37]
    Toyland [2:10]
    Won't Be Long Before Christmas [2:41]
    The Christmas Song [2:11]
    Silent Night [1:08]

As you can see, most of the tracks from my version run several seconds shorter that the times shown on your copy. Are these perhaps different takes or mixes?

That cover I posted was a custom cover I found online that was done by someone who had also the CD itself posted on a blog - I suspect the running times on the custom cover are just off and they are the same songs/the same CD. It certainly sounds like the same CD I had in the past.

I also wanted to point out some of the information that made me want to do this project - in the DRATS 50th anniversary collection we get entries like this for some of the songs:

RUN, RUN, RUN
    Track recorded May 7, 1963 - vocals recorded May 27, 1964

So I thought, when possible, it would interesting to list the Supremes' songs by the date the vocals [[lead and/or background) were recorded. And since the info [[at least some of it) is obviously available, I thought I'd ask the smart people on these boards about it...

Here are some links to the original cover and notes, with print large enough to read:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2460803...ream/lightbox/

I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Ballad of Davey Crocker: Flo and Mary

The song the ballad of davey crocker was recorded in January of 1967

I have the cd The never before released masters which I purchased in 1987
    and that voice is clearly Flo who does the talk singing, Mary does the singing, and it sounds like Diana in the background, I just played it.

Quote Originally Posted by redlabs View Post
    i started a simular task a while back. in some cases this web site has only the original release dates of albums unless otherwise noted. as the deluxe editions have come out more info has come forward and can be found on some of the songs. the above song was recorded with Cindy [if that date is accurate].....the Disner album recordings began in january 1967 and resumed with Cindy in sept 67.

Supremes box set an important link to dates

some of the songs you are seeking dates for should be listed on the Supremes Box Set

most of the record dates are listed as well as vocal add dates check it out hopefully you

have this important set.

Some helpful recording dates found.

I checked my copy of the Motown Singles 1964 and 1965

I found these dates

Baby Love recorded August 13, 1964
    Come See About Me recorded July 13, 1964
    Back in my arms again Track recorded Dec. 1, 1964 Supremes vocals feb 24, 1965
    Whisper You Love Me Boy remake of Mary Wells track recorded Mar 2, 1964, Supremes recorded Jan 13 & FEB 24, 1965.
    The Only time I'm Happy recorded Nov. 24 1964.

Franjoy Supremes lover.