[REMOVE ADS]

The Westbound Sound Of Detroit CD

http://www.amazon.com/Westbound-Soun...1460908&sr=1-1

While loading this CD into my Itunes this morning, I came across the song "When I'm Back On My Feet" for which the artist is listed as "Unknown Artist." Since the CD was put out in 1994 and the song had been unreleased at that time, I was wondering if perhaps by now someone has identified who the artist or group is. Anyone?

Thanks!

Oldies

If I had a way of hearing the song, it would help because I am curious now too. Westbound put out a lot of great material in the 60's and 70's that rarely gets discussed here. I think it would be interesting if we did that.

I've got the same cd and tried tracking down the artists....Chalky posted this in August without a response

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ack-On-My-Feet

I love the artwork for this Westbound Records Collection:

Mike - I completely missed that thread! Thanks for linking to it. I wonder if there is anyone here who knows someone from the other groups on the CD. Maybe the other artists on the label would know something about this song.

Others on the CD are:
    Unique Blend
    Superlatives
    Detroit Emeralds
    Fantastic Four
    Counts
    Magictones
    Mighty Elegant
    Houston Outlaws
    Motivations
    New Holidays

It's a shame to see this musical history fading away. There have been so many R.I.P. thread lately and along with those people information is disappearing forever. I hope someone can eventually come up with the answer.

Marv - I checked Youtube and the song is not on there, nor are there samples of the songs on Amazon.

Oldies

Oldies you are right. It, the music that came out of Westbound Records may not seem that important now, but between 1970 and roughly 1976 it was very much a part of the soundtrack of our lives. It may have been a regional thing, but I remember hearing music from that label just as frequently as we did from Motown or Invictus/Hot Wax.

Marv, hit me in the PM and I'll send you the track via email.
    [[btw, this is my new ID, been having problems with my old acct)

The liner note says:
    Armen can't remember, so for a, as yet to be determined, prize,
    we're inviting guesses or names for the act!

Peter Gibbon
    July 1994

Fantastic Four would be my guess.
    I had a question thats been bugging me for yrs about the identity of staff writers Baine & Crane until Steve K on another forum cleared it up for me
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek/ltlftc
    Belda Baine appears to be a pseudonym for Bernie Mendelson. Some of the BMI copyrights credited to Baine list Mendelson as the author with no mention of "Baine". On some songs credited to Baine/Crane, Armen Boladian is listed as a co-writer with no mention of Crane. What a biz.........

Marv - check your email.

What I noticed in re-reading the booklet is that so much of the information is guesswork and contains many comments like "we believe", "are thought to be", rumoured as a pseudonym", "sounds to be", "perhaps it was", "seems to", "but more details about them have so far eluded us", "whichever way it is" and "Who were the Motivations? We'd like to know too." WOW!! so much is unknown about all these songs!

Oldies

I have many westbound cd's and most of the times its filled with inaccurate info.

Quote Originally Posted by oldiesmusicfan View Post
    Marv - check your email.

What I noticed in re-reading the booklet is that so much of the information is guesswork and contains many comments like "we believe", "are thought to be", rumoured as a pseudonym", "sounds to be", "perhaps it was", "seems to", "but more details about them have so far eluded us", "whichever way it is" and "Who were the Motivations? We'd like to know too." WOW!! so much is unknown about all these songs!

Oldies
    This CD was issued in 1994, our knowledge has improved since then and when I did Westbound Detroit Northern Soul early last year I would have updated whatever was known about those groups on those sleevenotes. 5 of the original tracks were reissued on that CD but I think most of the acts were referred to.

Ady

Hi Ady,

Sure hope you didn't take my comments as a criticism of your work. My point was to show just how much of these details are lost in foggy history. I don't have the second CD you were referring to from last year, so I'm not sure what all has been updated. Did anyone ever learn who that unidentified artist was who sang "When I'm Back On My Feet", or is it still "unknown?"

And Marv - you never received my email??

Oldies

Hi Oldies,
    Not at all, I've got thick skin and yours didn't come across as a criticism anyway. No, still no clue on When I'm Back On My Feet. Check out the duet between Denise Lasalle and Abe Tilmon, it's very good indeed. The Eddie Hill, Joe Matthews and Magictones are particularly good too.

Ady

There's nothing on the studio disc [[United Sound) for WIBOMF my mates mate has, just some other details.

What are the other details Chalky, not writers or publishers are they?

Marv, let me know if you got the email.
    Now on the cd GETTIN' IT OFF: WESTBOUND FUNK
    there is a big error. "In The Pocket" by Boots [[aka Bootsy Collins) is totally
    false! The artist is actually Donald Austin and the trk is called "Sade Saddle",
    which can be found on his Crazy Legs lp or cd. And there's the title trk by
    Fuzzy Haskins, writing credit by B Mason. Bill Mason recorded a song with
    the same name and it sounds nothing like Fuzzy's. So I think it's safe to
    say that the writing credit is also wrong. And now I'm wondering if that
    previously unreleased trk really is Fuzzy or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ady_croasdell View Post
    What are the other details Chalky, not writers or publishers are they?
    I'll try and find out for you Ady.

I used to love The Detroit Emeralds and Fantastic Four Westbound material. Feel The Need In Me..oh yes! Paulo xxx

Quote Originally Posted by P-Shark: The Revenge View Post
    Marv, let me know if you got the email.
    Now on the cd GETTIN' IT OFF: WESTBOUND FUNK
    there is a big error. "In The Pocket" by Boots [[aka Bootsy Collins) is totally
    false! The artist is actually Donald Austin and the trk is called "Sade Saddle",
    which can be found on his Crazy Legs lp or cd. And there's the title trk by
    Fuzzy Haskins, writing credit by B Mason. Bill Mason recorded a song with
    the same name and it sounds nothing like Fuzzy's. So I think it's safe to
    say that the writing credit is also wrong. And now I'm wondering if that
    previously unreleased trk really is Fuzzy or someone else.

Hi P-Shark,
    Like the other CD that started this thread, this CD has been out for 18 years and mistakes from back then aren't too surprising. A decade later Westbound Funk came out which updated the concept and may be of interest to you.

Ady