[REMOVE ADS]

Edna Wright was asked to Replace Diana Ross??

http://www.daeida.com/daeidamagazine_2011_11B.html

Apparently in this magazine article, she says she was asked to be Diana's replacement.

Wow....apparently there were a few ladies in waiting......Edna, and let's not forget the greatest of them all....Shantel Baker!

I wonder how many ladies were on "the list"? During their last concert, Diana said to Claudette, who was in the audience, that she could have been a Supreme. So I guess we can add her to the list as well. Were Mary and Cindy ever considered?

Not to take anything away from Jean, but Edna would have made a good replacement for Diana. Schooldem. like you I wonder if Mary or Cindy were considered. We all know, Mary said she didn't feel she was ready to take the lead spot, but I wonder if she was asked to.

Edna and some other girls were stand-ins in the studio for the Supremes on some recordings because union required that
    a vocalist always be on sessions. I think it was on some stuff done in California. But they were just props and not
    part of the final product. That's what I remember. I never heard before of her being asked to audition as a replacement
    for Diana. I also read that she told Florence that she was under contract to Motown, but recording for Invictus-Hot Wax
    with Honey Cone.

Edna also claims in the article that Berry Gordy wanted Edna, Gloria Jones, and Blinky Williams to form a group and sign to Motown when he heard their background vocals on a Lewis Sisters song. What a fantastic group that would have been!

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    and let's not forget the greatest of them all....Shantel Baker!
    Hehehehehe...

What about Syreeta Wright !!

You're not getting mixed up with Rita Wright aka Syreeta are you. She was deffinately in the mix as Diana's replacement.Just played her version of "Something On My Mind" and vocally you can hear her similarity to DR. Probably why Berry Gordy wanted her as the next lead singer.

TMSG you are right.

I think that the original post is about a story/interview with Edna Wright. No one here is mixing up the 2.

The Landlady of our local pub was on that list too. Apparently, she is also 100,000th in line for the throne.

Jean, Syreeta, and Edna is all I know of. Barbara Randolph for Flo.

Hmmm Edna as a Supreme -----
    Now that's saying something !!!

wasn't Tammi Terrell considered before all her medical issues?...she would have been the ultimate Supreme, really....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    wasn't Tammi Terrell considered before all her medical issues?...she would have been the ultimate Supreme, really....
    I always wondered if that was just some PR slant. Tammi was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 1967, and suffered through multiple operations before her death in 1970. Her medical issues never went away. So I don't think she would have seriously been considered for Diana's spot.

I can't see how Berry or Motown seriously considered Tammi either. Healthy, she would have been an excellent choice, as would Syreeta. Edna, I'm not so sure about; good voice but wrong group.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I can't see how Berry or Motown seriously considered Tammi either. Healthy, she would have been an excellent choice, as would Syreeta. Edna, I'm not so sure about; good voice but wrong group.
    I totally agree.....great voice.....wrong group.

To me Edna very similar to Scherrie.

luke, you are right. I remember Scherrie did a vocal on "Want Ads" and it sounded so similar to Edna's that she wasn't
    sure if it was her or Edna she was hearing.

selinasian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Edna also claims in the article that Berry Gordy wanted Edna, Gloria Jones, and Blinky Williams to form a group and sign to Motown when he heard their background vocals on a Lewis Sisters song. What a fantastic group that would have been!
    It would! But, who would've been lead vocalist a la Miss Ross style? LOL!!!

selinasian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bankhousedave View Post
    The Landlady of our local pub was on that list too. Apparently, she is also 100,000th in line for the throne.
    How ambitious is your pub landlady, Bankhousedave? Is regicide a possibilty?

I heard they asked Conrad Murray too; but they thought he resembled Shantel too much.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I heard they asked Conrad Murray too; but they thought he resembled Shantel too much.
    I read where someone suggested Busta Rhymes to play Ross in a movie hehehehehehe!

Anythings possible around closing time, selinasian, but don't expect too much in the morning.

selinasian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bankhousedave View Post
    Anythings possible around closing time, selinasian, but don't expect too much in the morning.
    LOL!
    Yeah, been there and done that!!!!

If they wanted a replacement, they should have put it in the Want Ads.