[REMOVE ADS]

Unlikely Soul heros

Sometimes names crop up that One doesn't normally associate with Soul music.
    If asked to pick some of the great composers in this field, Randy Newman would not usually be included.
    However 2 recently acquired CDs have illustrated how good his songs are, in the right hands. 'Nobody needs your love' by Jerry Butler, from his Vee-Jay days, and 'Just one smile' by Walter Jackson, previously unissued but now available on a Kent CD, are both absolutely superb. I think both songs were successful in the UK for Gene Pitney, the latter also done by Dusty Springfield [[I believe)
    Newman also co-wrote the wonderful 'Anyone who knows what love is [[will understand)' for Irma Thomas.
    Can anyone else think of any other unlikely Soul heros?

Dusty did indeed do "Just One Smile", on the brilliant "Dusty In Memphis" LP.

Best,

Mark

How about "Country" singer CHARLIE RICH who dabbled with Soul whilst signed for Hi Records in the 1960s ..

CHARLIE RICH - "Love Is After Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOHwif87IKI

CHARLIE RICH - "Don't Tear Me Down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPL92CfoiYc

Roger

Roger, I had forgotten about Charlie Rich. I always liked 'Love is after me', which was written Porter, Hayes and Cropper, so has real pedigree.