[REMOVE ADS]

"Nightflight" Tue Nov 15, 9P-12M ET: Live...for 3 Hours! Invictus/Hot Wax Star....

Name:  WOMRWFMRLOGOredux.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  13.1 KB

Howdy there, Pardners! I have been so pleased and honored to have some wonderful guests on "Nightflight"! Last week, Andy Skurow and George Solomon of UME and the Motown Vault shared with us "More Hits By The Supremes...the Expanded Version" and spent time talking about the production. I want to again thank them both, and Harry Weinger, for their generosity, thoughts and humor. Thanks guys!

On Tue Dec 6, I will be airing "The Marvelettes: Forever-The Complete Motown Albums Part One" and then on Dec 13, I will be joined by Harry Weinger, Vice President of A & R at UMG and producer of the above collection with the premiere airing of his newest collection "The Marvelettes: Forever-Part Two"! Two weeks of just Marvelettes...and Harry too! It's what every DJ needs...a good friend like Harry!

Now for tonight's show. I am always excited about having this gentleman on the show. It's been a few years. And he is always generous with his time, sharing incredible stories about his music, his life in Detroit in the sixties, his years with Holland Dozier Holland at Invictus/Hot Wax and so much more. For the next TWO weeks, Jerry Plunk, lead singer and drummer of Flaming Ember will be joining me on "Nightflight". And with Jerry being on the show for two weeks...it will give us a lot of time to talk and play his great music.
    I'm looking forward to spending this time with Jerry...and you...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org

Tonight...please...no phone calls...I'll be on the line with Jerry...but please feel free to post questions here for Jerry that we can answer during the show....thanks!
    John

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  22.2 KB

I think of Flaming Ember as being to Invictus / Hotwax what Rare Earth were to Motown. White, rock oriented, self contained bands delivering in soulful manner - whilst the majority of other acts on those labels were black vocalists who used back up musicians and were therefore free to focus on stage craft and choreography. Would Jerry believe this is a valid comparison? Did Holland Dozier Holland ever tell Jerry that this was the concept they had in mind when they recruited Flaming Ember?

Cheers. Mike

PS. Any chance your programmes will be made available in podcast form? The hours of broadcast are difficult for your global audience.......yes John, you do have a global audience!

Mike...thanks for your post. I'll definately bring up your questions to Jerry. The podcasts are available...but only a few at this point. Because I must edit almost all of the music out of the recorded show before the podcast is uploaded, it is extremely time consuming. I do have podasts posted....one with Cal Street, 2 with Cal and Bertha McNeil, one with Janie Bradford and one with Frances Nero.
    I am going to be having a lot of time on my hands in the next few months...so I will have more time to edit the interviews I have done....
    I appreciate you saying about the global audience...I'm sure there are 2 or 3...maybe 4 people that listen to the show outside of the States.....
    Mike thanks so much for your interest!
    John

....just a little bump.....

John,
    Looking forward to the show and Jerry's return. He's a great guest. Do you have a favorite Hot Wax track by The Silent Majority [[formerly The Formations) that you might want to play tonight or next week?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    ....just a little bump.....
    Happy is bumpy road. lol. Looking forward to the show my friend. See you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    John,
    Looking forward to the show and Jerry's return. He's a great guest. Do you have a favorite Hot Wax track by The Silent Majority [[formerly The Formations) that you might want to play tonight or next week?

Jim
    Jim...glad you'll be here. For this series of shows....it's gonna be ALL Jerry/Flaming Ember..and of course Telma, Joyce and Pam and the Funk Brothers and the Detroit strings...and I understand Eddie Lamont and Brian are on some of the tracks too....

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Happy is bumpy road. lol. Looking forward to the show my friend. See you soon!
    Ahhhhh...Joe.....me too....glad you'll be here, und Jo!
    Jonny

...in the studio....howwwDYYYYYYYYYYY!

Dere u r! Johnny, Johnny, Po-Fohnny, Banana-Fanna-Fo-Mohnny, Fi-Fi-Mo-Johnny! The NAME Game...yeeeaaassss! :-0 Looking forward to the show tonight. Love me some Invictus/Hot Wax music!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Oops! Should have been: Johnny, Johnny, Po-Fohnny, Banana-Fanna-Fo-Mohnny, Fi-Fi-Mo-Mohnny, Johnny! [[I think?)

Howard in Long Beach, CA

John Caratelli is in North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover View Post
    Oops! Should have been: Johnny, Johnny, Po-Fohnny, Banana-Fanna-Fo-Mohnny, Fi-Fi-Mo-Mohnny, Johnny! [[I think?)

Howard in Long Beach, CA
    Howard...great to have you...no matter WHAT you call me, guy!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    John Caratelli is in North Carolina
    Sorry...thanks...I had a Rick Perry moment!

Don't see the likeness. John Perrone = good. Rick Perry = bad.

Welcome back Jerry!

"I ate Mosogotam once". Me too Jim but I got Mosogotam's Revenge or maybe it was the water! LOL!!

"I ate Mosogotam once". Me too Jim but I got Mosogotam's Revenge or maybe it was the water! LOL!!
    Wow, Mosogotam didn't agree with my "system" either!

a little late but here Great show JP...

The ladies of Dawn sound awesome on these tracks.

Welcome Tony.

Tony!!!!!! Glad you made it!!!!

Hi Jim and Thanks John

John Caratelli has told me how much he loved Flaming Ember's recording Miracle Worker from 1971. Why was this great track never released on Hot Wax?

I have never been a fan of live albums either. Two exceptions are the "Pointer Sisters Live at The Opera House" and "Judy at Carnegie Hall". DVD's replace live albums to me.

Great story about John Lester outbidding Jerry's family for the Miracle Worker acetate. Thanks John. Thanks Jerry.

Thanks John and Jerry for a great part 1 looking forward to part 2 next week!

Thanks John, thanks Jerry! Very enjoyable interview and great music. Thanks everyone, see you all next week.

Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    Thanks John and Jerry for a great part 1 looking forward to part 2 next week!
    Thanks so much, Tony!!! Much appreciated. Have a good week!

Thanks John, thanks Jerry! Very enjoyable interview and great music. Thanks everyone, see you all next week.

Joseph...thank YOU so much, too! And thanks for being there!

Double Oops! Should have been: Johnny, Johnny, Po-Fohnny, Banana-Fanna-Fo-Mohnny, Fee-Fi-Mo-Mohnny, Johnny! [[I think?)

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Flaming Ember with Jerry upfront......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO0v8p6rSTU

and Jerry solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgm1rlM6J2k

and another version of that song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoKKRttMKco
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 11-17-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Mom used to play this song to death when I was a child I can still see the 45 in my head and Westbound number 9