[REMOVE ADS]

The Marvelettes 50th Anniversary Celebration at Inkster High School

I wish I had known about this earlier. There was a 50th Anniversary Celebration held at Inkster High School this past Friday. Juanita, Katherine, Wanda and Georgia were all present for the event, as well as Rosalind and Annette of the Vandellas. Here are some photos from Facebook:

Is that Gladys Horton's son in the first photo?

Is that Wanda sitting in that chair?

The person who originally posted the photos did not include any captions, but I am assuming that is Wanda. It looks like her.

Yes that's Wanda - god bless her. So happy to see that she was able to attend. Thanks for posting these Carlo.

Not at all Carlo, she looks so out of it. But it must be Wanda. What a dear lady, it's heartbreaking

RossHolloway Guest
    It's great to see that the Marvelettes are still being honored and remembered and not at all forgotten!

Just in time for the release of their last...and most outstanding IMHO...albums

and aside from The Vandellas, NO ONE from Motown was there.....

Carlo please post more pics

smark21 Guest
    JOe Billingsley of The Contours was there as well. He and his group of Contours performed. Also Congressmen John Conyers and John Dingell attended.

Thanks Carlo,for posting this rare picture,i'm really happy for The Marvelettes,but sad for Glady Horton.
    Please stay positive

Inkster is home of the Marvelettes

This was a nice touch celebration for the group. I was at the Inkster celebration for the
    Marvelettes when they received their gold records in 2004, one for Don't Mess with Bill and the other for Please Mr. Postman, I am sure Gladys is smiling down on those who remembered the marvelettes 50th Anniversary.

I hope the gentleman who took these great photos does not mind me sharing. I should have asked first, but I got too excited!

Great post and thread.......pictures are way cool...........I would assume that's a wheel chair that Wanda is sitting in, since she is not in any of the other pics, She appears to be in poor health, but its really great to see here and the other Marvelettes getting their due. Hell I think Joe's birthday is Today !...........

Wanda looks wonderful! How great she was there!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    The person who originally posted the photos did not include any captions, but I am assuming that is Wanda. It looks like her.
    Yes that is Wanda Rogers and that young man is Glady's son.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    and aside from The Vandellas, NO ONE from Motown was there.....
    Well that was the case with Nick Ashford's funeral. But I see the Contours attended this event.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    This was a nice touch celebration for the group. I was at the Inkster celebration for the
    Marvelettes when they received their gold records in 2004, one for Don't Mess with Bill and the other for Please Mr. Postman, I am sure Gladys is smiling down on those who remembered the marvelettes 50th Anniversary.
    Yes she is, along with Georgeanna Tillman.......

The lady in a white jacket in the 2nd photo looks to me like Claudette Robinson, I am probably mistaken. It is great that Wanda is there, although in a chair she looks well, I hope that all of the Marvelettes gain the respect that they deserve, 50 years since Please Mr Postman, and still not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I believe that it is time for Motown to get behind these group that provided the 1st hits that the company was built upon, such as The Marvelettes and the Contours.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    The lady in a white jacket in the 2nd photo looks to me like Claudette Robinson, I am probably mistaken.
    The lady in the white jacket is Georgia Dobbins, one of the original Marvelettes. She wrote "Please Mr. Postman".

Didnt Georgeann Tillman die of sickle cell?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Didnt Georgeann Tillman die of sickle cell?
    Luke, she died of Lupus in 1980. I've been in Inkster High School before for a fish fry. Nice school, nicer people.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-16-2011 at 07:58 AM.

On the Facebook-fanpage The Original Marvelettes you can find more details and more pics - and also a stunning comment by Ms. Katherine Anderson, who doesn't hold her tongue when it comes to Motown.
    I'm also involved in that thread, you can identify me as Rob van den Bosch, indeed, the one from Holland