[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes-Live! in traffic

This is kind of bizarre. Id never seen the whole thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2i0...eature=related

Thank you for another gem. I wonder if the cop at the end who grabs Mary's arm is real or an actor?

What do you all think?

Roberta

Good clip. I think he's an actor. Even then, a lot of focus on Diana.

might not be an actor, that was an actual street in France with real traffic..but who knows....running down the street a few steps behind?........THE ANDANTES!!...lol...sorry, couldn't resist

uptight Guest
    I think he was a real cop. Otherwise they would have kept filming a bit longer and had more takes. The film crew knew they were filming and running through motor traffic illegally and stopped the camera mid-song. I don't know how an actor cop in Paris would have fit into a promo film for Motown.

What a great clip - thanks!

My pleasure ejluther!

It's the real deal. Mary Wilson recounts the event on pg 165 of Dreamgirl. It was filmed as they danced/pranced down the Champs Elysees during rush hour. They are lipsinking to the track behind a car with its windows wide open and its speakers blasting.
    And the cops did force them off the street and onto the sidewalk.

Damn... Diane just about got her ass run down. If I were her, I'd have kicked Berry in the nuts for havin her do this!

I`d kick Berry in the nuts for wasting so much time and money on the Supremes to the detriment of all the more talented acts he had.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I`d kick Berry in the nuts for wasting so much time and money on the Supremes to the detriment of all the more talented acts he had.
    Berry definitely picked a winner in the Supremes. Motown was filled with talent, the Supremes just happened to lead the pack and proved it.

Diana almost run over, Mary pushed by police...did Berry think of getting permission???

I love watching Flo in this clip; her "skipping" eventually turns into "running".

the girls were young and full of beans, as they say, having a great time, very punk before there was 'punk',wild in the streets

remember this was "light" years before anyone was media saavy & before music videos. Permission, why would you need that in 1965?

Well because Mary said there was big mess after with the police. Im sure if a movie wanted to shoot back then they just didnt set up camp in the street.

Luke, you're right ofcourse, I was kinda jokin . They, Mr. Gordy & whoever, probably thought they could do this real quick.All this was new to music people back then.

Shantel Baker also participated in this short film, but she is not seen because she was run over by a car a few seconds before the cameras started rolling.

Now I understand why Flo disliked Berry Gordy so much. If I was forced to sing and skip through a busy street in traffic, I would be angry too...

at least Gordy relented and let Flo remove the blindfold that he had originally ordered her to wear during the filming

lolol Carlo and Jimi.

great clip ,thanks