[REMOVE ADS]

ETTA JAMES - Call My Name [[Kent CD)

Has anyone here on the forum purchased and listened to the Kent CD release of Etta James' "Call My Name"? Is it just my ears or has Kent mixed the stereo tracks so that Etta sounds like she's singing from the house next door??? Her voice seems lost in the mix and it's really annoying. Perhaps it was recorded this way in the first place? The mono tracks are fine -- Etta's voice is front and center. Anyone else who has this CD [[or if there is anyone from Ace/Kent on this forum), please weigh in. Many thanks.

I've been asked to post this response.

They all came from Chess mastertapes. I guess it's all a matter of taste. For example, check out this excerpt from a customer review at Amazon.co.uk:

.... the first thing that hits you full-in-the-face is the truly GORGEOUS SOUND QUALITY. Remastered by DUNCAN COWELL at Sound Mastering in London - I've sung this engineer's praises before - but he's outdone himself here. There's amazing clarity on every song - clean Stereo separation too and a huge presence on instruments - especially the brass and percussion. It's a blast from start to finish. The 12-page colour booklet is crammed with photos of 7" singles, Cash Box magazine adverts and reviews as well as superbly detailed and affectionate liner notes by noted writers and Soul lovers MALCOLM BAUMGART and MICK PATRICK. A typically classy effort ...

Thanks for the excerpt from the Amazon UK customer review. I think the phrase, "...and a huge presence on instruments - especially the brass and percussion" is telling. The way they've been mixed, they seem to overpower Etta's vocals -- and that's really saying something! I will tweak my equalizer and iTunes settings some more [[I already have "Vocal Enhancement" on) and see if I can bring Etta into the room!

I have the original Japenese release of the "Losers" CD, sure I was glad when I bought it but the quality is very bad and now I´m glad that Kent and Mick have put out the new CD. In my opinion Etta´s voice isn´t overpowered by the instruments.