[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That's a good question. My belief is that once an addict, always an addict. But once an addict has their addiction under control for quite a few years and is leading a normal, healthy life, it would be a courtesy to that person to no longer refer to him as an addict. In that category, I would include people like Robert Downey Jr and some former Supremes along with countless others. Those who did not get their additions under control are people like Amy Winehouse and Michael. There are many others whose additions are not under control. Sooner or later, they face the possibility of winding up with Michael and Amy.

Yeah, BUT that is not the only thing they were known for! I take issue with it because it is just plain crazy and purposely disrespectful. When the defense tried to present the theory that Michael may have given himself the fatal dose, I knew they were grasping and full of shit. I was right.

Now there are people addicted to all sorts of things....all are harmful in their own way. The referring to the great Michael Jackson as basically just another addict, a junkie, while seemingly praising other addicts and looking the other way when comes to their addictions is just wrong. My main point in bringing up the Diana Ross rehab experience is because she was supposedly so close to Michael, close enough for him to leave his children in her care in his will. I believe the Will where Michael had that clause put in was written and signed in 2002 which was always strange to me because that is the year Diana Ross entered a rehabilitation facility for the treatment of drugs and alcohol abuse. Why would he do that? Was he in contact with her at that time? Would it not make sense that the subject would have come up between the two, the subject of drugs and rehab?
    Last edited by marv2; 11-13-2011 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    ... Many will tell you that you are never cured but live a sober existence, one day at a time, hence the term "recovering" alcoholic or addict.
    Hence my statement of once an addict, always an addict. But, it has been my experience to not keep referring to a recovering addict as an addict. It is just a courtesy. Recovering addicts make the best sponsors for addicts.

Hence my statement of once an addict, always an addict. But, it has been my experience to not keep referring to a recovering addict as an addict. It is just a courtesy. Recovering addicts make the best sponsors for addicts.
    I agree with you 100% milven.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Roberta

Marv, as I said, I agree with you. He should have contacted her. And she should have contacted him. But, I even wonder how close they were in his final years. I haven't followed his trial, but maybe he isolated himself. Did he remain in contact with Elizabeth? He was a lot closer to her. She, too , was an addict. Did she reach out? And was she able to get through?
    Of course, she was going through her own health problems at the time, but she was also a successful recovered addict.

Marv, as I said, I agree with you. He should have contacted her. And she should have contacted him. But, I even wonder how close they were in his final years. I haven't followed his trial, but maybe he isolated himself. Did he remain in contact with Elizabeth? He was a lot closer to her. She, too , was an addict. Did she reach out? And was she able to get through?
    Of course, she was going through her own health problems at the time, but she was also a successful recovered addict.
    He must have been close to Diana Ross to leave the care of his beloved children to her. At least that would make sense to me. I believe that he also remained in contact with Taylor, but it has been alluded to that she may have been a form of an enabler. That they share some of the same sources for their medications. Yes she too was deemed an addict. Did she reach out to offer him help with his problem? I really do not know, but there is someone out there that knows. When I think of Elizabeth Taylor, Diana Ross, Elvis Presley and so many others that did so many great things, I do not think "addict" first and I never refer to them as such! Betty Ford, we all know now what she went through, but I never hear people refer to her as an addict first.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I didn't watch the show kenneth. I wonder why MSNBC decided to make this TV show with Conrad Murray? Do they give any insight into that and did they pay Murray a fee?

Roberta
    Roberta,

On today's "Reliable Sources" on CNN, they stated that NBC paid "hundreds of thousands of dollars" to the British production company which made the original documentary, and which included the interviews with Murray, but that "none of the money went to Murray." I think the implication is that the British company may have paid Murray, but NBC who then bought the rights to it for U.S. broadcast, did not. "Reliable Sources" host described it as pretty "shoddy" in terms of logic, that they were still paying Murray if only indirectly.

You are correct, Kenneth. All these weasel terms trying to cover up the fact that a mainstream media outlet actually pays for stories! Gasp! That would mean they were no different than tabloids, even though they both use the same methods.

As usual, I am with Roberta--she isn't defending AEG, she is simply putting the blame where blame deserves to be. MJ was a grown man and if I or Roberta or any of the rest of us commoners were manipulating unscrupulous doctors for nearly two decades to score illegal drugs, nobody would try to make us out to be helpless victims. I don't know why people put celebrities into a protected category. Many people infantilize entertainers and I have never understood that.

Another great point Roberta made was that MJ's addiction ultimately left three children fatherless. That is the worst part in all of this for me. When you have children, you have a DUTY to them--and that includes not killing yourself.

Very sad but very true, BobC...Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Roberta,

On today's "Reliable Sources" on CNN, they stated that NBC paid "hundreds of thousands of dollars" to the British production company which made the original documentary, and which included the interviews with Murray, but that "none of the money went to Murray." I think the implication is that the British company may have paid Murray, but NBC who then bought the rights to it for U.S. broadcast, did not. "Reliable Sources" host described it as pretty "shoddy" in terms of logic, that they were still paying Murray if only indirectly.
    Thanks for this information Kenneth. Shame on them for paying Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    You are correct, Kenneth. All these weasel terms trying to cover up the fact that a mainstream media outlet actually pays for stories! Gasp! That would mean they were no different than tabloids, even though they both use the same methods.

As usual, I am with Roberta--she isn't defending AEG, she is simply putting the blame where blame deserves to be. MJ was a grown man and if I or Roberta or any of the rest of us commoners were manipulating unscrupulous doctors for nearly two decades to score illegal drugs, nobody would try to make us out to be helpless victims. I don't know why people put celebrities into a protected category. Many people infantilize entertainers and I have never understood that.

Another great point Roberta made was that MJ's addiction ultimately left three children fatherless. That is the worst part in all of this for me. When you have children, you have a DUTY to them--and that includes not killing yourself.
    Thank you BobC. I'm sure MJ loved those kids very much but one could tell he was high during that Martin Bashir interview when he dangled the baby out of the hotel room window and then manically tried to force a feeding bottle into the baby's mouth. If you or I did that to our kids we'd have social services on our doorstep.

Granting that interview to Mr. Bashir was one of the worst mistake Michael ever made.

Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta75; 11-13-2011 at 03:42 PM.

I don't see this line of defence, Once an Addict! always an Addict! it's another Ed Chernoff stupid line, if I had heart problems and went to a doctor if he did not give me the correct treatment and I died, that is not My Fault! it is the Doctor's - MURRAY should Never given what Michael asked for, weaning him off is a weak line again, his story to Channel 4 what if I had a gun, what would you do, was a very strange comparison which seems to sum up Murray's personalty full stop!

Quincy may love Michael but his statements, first concerning Michael's vitiligo after he died, and this statement about Murray almost makes it seem like he either didn't really know about Michael or he's bitter about something.

As for the family, they're grasping at straws if they think AEG will accept responsibility for what happened to their son/brother. Michael was everyone's meal ticket for years now people are pointing fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Quincy may love Michael but his statements, first concerning Michael's vitiligo after he died, and this statement about Murray almost makes it seem like he either didn't really know about Michael or he's bitter about something.

As for the family, they're grasping at straws if they think AEG will accept responsibility for what happened to their son/brother. Michael was everyone's meal ticket for years now people are pointing fingers.

He is bitter over the fact that Michael Jackson paid other producers more than he paid Quincy! He's mentioned that once or twice.

From Canada's Newsmagazine, at a distance from it all:

Murray, hired by Jackson in 2006, made an attractive scapegoat for family members and delusional fans, none of whom wanted to acknowedge the desperate psychological condition and drug seeking behaviour of the emaciated King of Pop.

All in all, Murray will receive about the same punishment he would have gotten for assisting in a suicide. That seems appropriate, given that the unlucky, weak willed physician was alone in the dock to take the brunt of a slow motion tragedy, decades in the making, that involved dozens of other enablers.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    From Canada's Newsmagazine, at a distance from it all:

Murray, hired by Jackson in 2006, made an attractive scapegoat for family members and delusional fans, none of whom wanted to acknowedge the desperate psychological condition and drug seeking behaviour of the emaciated King of Pop.

All in all, Murray will receive about the same punishment he would have gotten for assisting in a suicide. That seems appropriate, given that the unlucky, weak willed physician was alone in the dock to take the brunt of a slow motion tragedy, decades in the making, that involved dozens of other enablers.
    I've seen messages posted at a Facebook page for Michael Jackson fans. Some of these people are very disturbed..looking forward to reuniting with Michael in the next life, wanting to touch the handcuffs used to brace Dr. Murray after he was convicted, regreting giving birth to children as child rearing meant she could no longer follow Michael around the world and hang outside his hotel; declaring they will no longer be fans of the judge if he gives Dr. Murray a light sentence; talking about still being in tears more than two years after Michael died. Sick, sad stuff.

Michael certainly had very devoted, some very delusional, distraught and crazy fans; he just had more of them than most artists.

Just out of interest Dr Paul White the chief witness for the defence was fined $250 yesterday for contempt in court and also for what he called the Prosecution witness Dr Steven Shafer, to the press why he was sat in court behind the defence attorney's advising them.

Personally I was impressed with Dr Shafer even if he was a little eccentric at times, but Dr Paul White as was shown in the documentary at Michael J Franklin's home was not always independent, does not seem to have learnt a lesson as he was leaving the court room walking down the hallway he spoke to the press & media and for me showed contempt once more to the court and Judge Pastor when he said that the fine was "incredible, unconscionable, egregious". Flanagan also said "what did you expect?" - it surprises me a man of such distinction in his medical field was willing to sell his soul in some ways at the end of his career.

One of the disturbing aspects of this trial, like other major criminal trials, is that it showed a very dark side of celebrity ~ addiction, what money can buy, what people will do for money, that members of every profession can be bought, that our heroes are just human beings with graphic failings.

The Doctor you mention doesn't understand that one of the underpinnings of American Society is that there must be respect for the decisions of a judge; you can disagree with the rulings, but the rules are the rules and they must be followed whether you are a doctor, lawyer, Michael Jackson, or the President.

Murray Sentencing next Tuesday

Prosecutor: Make doctor pay $100 million for Michael Jackson's deathBy Alan Duke, CNN

November 24, 2011 -- Updated 1752 GMT [[0152 HKT)
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Prosecution and defense lawyers file sentence memos in Dr. Conrad Murray's case
    Judge Pastor sentences Murray Tuesday

Los Angeles [[CNN) -- Prosecutors want the judge to sentence Michael Jackson's doctor to the maximum four years in prison and order him to pay the pop icon's children more than $100 million in restitution, a document filed in court said.

Defense lawyers filed a brief calling Dr. Conrad Murray a "grief-stricken man" who should be given probation, not prison time, in light of the "manifold collateral consequences" of the felony conviction, including the loss of his medical career.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor set next Tuesday for Murray's sentencing on the involuntary manslaughter conviction.

A jury found Murray guilty of being responsible for Jackson's death earlier this month after a six-week trial.

I fully agree with the Prosecutor David Walgren, Dr Conrad Murray was found Guilty & needs to pay as well as show remorse for what he did wrong. I did hear that Murray was trying to cancel his medical practice certificate before any announcement is made, so he could reapply in on years time to have it back again, I'm sorry by Mr Murray should never practice medicine again.

Defence want Probation for Mr Murray and that he serve it in the medical sector, what a joke. I think the defence made a big mistake allowing the TV Documentary, it has done even more damage to their case.

Many people do not agree about the damages claim, but I remember the words of Ed Chernoff in his summing up "it has to be said if this case was Not Michael Jackson" yes Mr Chernoff damages would be set without doubt, these damages are not for The Jackson Family, they are for three young children/people who have their lives in front of them and why should they suffer because of the total incompetency & medical neglect of one man.

I do not see Judge Pastor being someone who will be fooled!

I see he got 4 years in the LA jail..........but it's not much for news anymore.

I knew it! Conrad Murray is history. Next!

WRONG! They just dropped it to two years!

Will Dr. Conrad Murray survive his time in jail? That is a big question.

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    I see he got 4 years in the LA jail..........but it's not much for news anymore.
    Did they include having to listen to La Toya Jackson "sing" on an endless loop? Oh wait, the Geneva Convention bans such horrible torture.

I see he gets his own cell now. But he will have to listen to Latoya 3 times a day so that'll do him in. And a few Jermaine interviews.

It was sad to watch the performance of Ed Chernoff, if ever a plea was over the top! I have not seen anything that states that Dr Murray's sentence has been reduced from four years to two? J Michael Franklin was very critical of Judge Michael Pastor, but I felt the judge was fair throughout and would have given more and sent Murray to State Jail if he had been allowed.

Now it is time for the Medical Councils/Boards throughout the USA to unite and ensure he does not practice again!

Was all over the news after the sentencing that he will only serve two years.........something about overcrowding in the jails; so he serves 2 years less the time he already served, and it's in the County Jail, his own cell.

Nonetheless, it won't be fun.

I wonder if he'll end up out even earlier.

Was all over the news after the sentencing that he will only serve two years.........something about overcrowding in the jails; so he serves 2 years less the time he already served, and it's in the County Jail, his own cell.

Nonetheless, it won't be fun.

I wonder if he'll end up out even earlier.
    That is true...thanks to California's biggest industry, its prisons, being overcrowded. I'm not sure why he gets to serve in LA County instead of State Prison [[where the overcrowding wouldn't result in him being let go after a brief 2 years). The Judge was angry about that, but his hands were tied. I was impressed that at least he got the maximum sentence, and a very strong condemnation by the Court for his reckless [[and remorseless) behavior.

The purpose of law is to put our society in order. I saw the picture of this doctor in many website while facing trial. I can say that I feel some pity for the doctor. Who would want to be imprisoned anyway? However, no one is above the law that is why when a person commits a crime, it is a just for him to be punished. Now, some of us would think that Dr. Conrad Murray was guilty of medical malpractice. Instead he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for the singer's death.

Medical malpractice is a kind of lawsuit that is very challenging aside from the fact that this is very costly. The burden of proof lies to the victim to prove that the doctor has deviated from the medical standards. The so-called "deviation" which caused injury is the basis for malpractice. It is also debatable in this case if the doctor should also be expose criminal penalties. For more information about how to know if you can sue or not you should check out this article from Mr. Haskell a famous lawyer in Spokane WA who has won many many million dollar cases. http://haskellaw.com/article-medical...-malpractice-4

Doctors must be equipped with enough knowledge and training and they must execute their job with due care for them to prevent mistakes. A single mistake could result to death of a certain patient.

Indeed, not all allegations for medical malpractice are easy to prove. There are some legal aspects that we need to consider for a person to become guilty of medical malpractice.
    Last edited by amanda; 12-03-2011 at 12:41 AM.