[REMOVE ADS]

Sandra Tilley as a Vandella

Does anyone know if Sandra Tilley actually recorded as a Vandella? It seems like the last 3 albums they put out while she was in the group were either old tracks with Rosalind and Lois or the Andantes.

She didn't record much. Reportedly Something is her first session. I can hear Lois on Anyone Who Had A Heart so I am assuming Sandy is there too. Many times Martha did her own backing vocals. She told me it is she and Shirlee Matthews on In and Out Of My Life

I wonder what she recorded as a Velvelette.Lois & Sandy were great Vandellas, they could really dance cool onstage.

Sandy had also been with the Orlons after being with the Velvelettes and before becoming a Vandella.

Saw Martha Reeves and The Vandellas in Sheffield UK in 1971 when they were supporting Stevie Wonder. Sandy and Lois were fantastic Vandellas..........both looked great and put a lot of energy into their routines........really looked as if they were enjoying themselves

Plus Sandy was a very beautiful lady!

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know exactly how long Sandra was in the Velvelettes and when exactly she joined the Vandellas?

Interesting that the Velvelettes was a stepping stone for TWO Vandellas; Betty and Sandy.

I wonder if Cal, Millie, Bertha or Norma have any hard feelings? Or, were any of these ladies ever considered replacements for any of the Supremes? Or Marvelettes?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Interesting that the Velvelettes was a stepping stone for TWO Vandellas; Betty and Sandy.

I wonder if Cal, Millie, Bertha or Norma have any hard feelings? Or, were any of these ladies ever considered replacements for any of the Supremes? Or Marvelettes?
    The group encouraged Betty to accept the spot in the Vandellas.

Norma has said that she interviewed to be Flo's replacement. But she didn't think she'd get it, as she didn't get along with Diana.

Thanks reese.

RossHolloway Guest
    Wait, wasn't Bertha long out of the Velvelettes [['65?) by the time that Florence left the Supremes in 67?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Wait, wasn't Bertha long out of the Velvelettes [['65?) by the time that Florence left the Supremes in 67?
    It was Norma who was asked to try out for Flo's spot, according to the book THE WOMEN OF MOTOWN. I gather this was at the time that the original Velvelettes had stopped performing, had married and had children.

Norma said that she went on an interview, just like for a regular job. She doesn't remember who she spoke to. It sounds like she was called because there was a slight resemblance, and they both sang first soprano. Besides not getting along with Diana, Norma also mentioned that Flo was a bit heavier set than she, and she wouldn't have fit into Flo's warbdrobe. Also, they wanted to offer her a minimal flat salary "that would not have paid for my babysitter."

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It was Norma who was asked to try out for Flo's spot, according to the book THE WOMEN OF MOTOWN. I gather this was at the time that the original Velvelettes had stopped performing, had married and had children.

Norma said that she went on an interview, just like for a regular job. She doesn't remember who she spoke to. It sounds like she was called because there was a slight resemblance, and they both sang first soprano. Besides not getting along with Diana, Norma also mentioned that Flo was a bit heavier set than she, and she wouldn't have fit into Flo's warbdrobe. Also, they wanted to offer her a minimal flat salary "that would not have paid for my babysitter."
    Wow, interesting story. I wonder what the backstory was that she didn't get along with Diana, and yet she wanted to be a Supreme? Sounds strange..

Isnt sandra on an alternate version of people got to be free released on the double CD natural resources/blackmagic?

Not sure if it's her but u can hear two more background singers very clearly.

yes, Sandra & Lois were on Natural Resources & Black Magic. I think they also did some backgrounds for the Andantes.