[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Gene Chandler "live" 65

This recording is special to me for the guitar playing of young Charles "Skip" Pitts, along with Curtis Pope, {trumpet} George Patterson Jr., {sax} Ernest "Xavier" Smith, {bass} and Woody Woodson, {drums}. These guy's would soon after join up with Wilson Pickett to become his Midnight Movers and still later on, the Isley Brothers band. And Mr. Chandler's performance is impeccable.

Let's not forget otis redding live at the whiskey a go-go,his live version of[i can't turn you loose]is a sho nuff groove!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Let's not forget otis redding live at the whiskey a go-go,his live version of[i can't turn you loose]is a sho nuff groove!
    Fabulous performance!!

The second side of Kool & The Gang's 'Love And Understanding', with Hollywood Swinging, Summer Madness and Universal Sound done live at the Rainbow Theatre in London. They were brilliant live.

Lets go back a ways.........brilliant !

Name:  Al J.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  19.5 KB

I'm not sure how totally live it was, but what about the Temptations version of I'm Losing You from TCB. Always my favorite.

Strange you should say that Jobeterob, but Paul Williams performance of For Once in My life on Live at The Copa sounds very similar to the version on TCB......either way its a beautiful song by a very talented Temptation.......

I may be prejudiced ;-), but this is pretty damn soulful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJi6m...F59AF8&index=1

The Supremes,Mary Wilson,Jean Terrell and Lynda Laurence Live In Japan,they were a class act.
    Please stay positive

I may be prejudiced ;-), but this is pretty damn soulful.
    So is this Mr. K...........lol.....and I'm as prejudiced as you are.......

Not Motown.But Maze Live is just the most amazing live album I have EVER heard. Joy & Pain, is quite simply stunning....Paulo xxx

Quote Originally Posted by hambonefunk View Post
    This great live recording is special to me because it features the guitar playing of a yourg Charles "Skip" Pitts, {Shaft-It's Your Thing} and the guy's who would become Wilson Pickett's "Midnight Movers" and later on the Isley Brothers band. I really love this record.
    Which record is that Hambone?

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Not Motown.But Maze Live is just the most amazing live album I have EVER heard. Joy & Pain, is quite simply stunning....Paulo xxx
    Do you mean the 1981 version in New Orleanes or the 1986 in Los Angeles?
    Just as amazing is the 12" , 1982 Live version of "Before I Let Go" , from The Hammerstein Odean.

Hey Paladin-that's your favorite of hers, isn't it? ;-)

I kinda like it myself. She took it out of the show for a while. It goes in and out now.
    I like the live version a lot better than the CD version. Always makes me cry.

Hey Paladin-that's your favorite of hers, isn't it? ;-)I kinda like it myself. She took it out of the show for a while. It goes in and out now.

Listen man I've seen her do it several times, but when she did it at House of Blues record release party and dropped the Mike and left the stage still singing and came back, while the band was still playing the riff, I was close to tears my dam self. I have never been so impressed with a singer in my life. It was like getting caught up in a church revival meeting. My friend Gary just looked at me...and I told him Don't you say a dam word.......... honestly it was the best live performance of a song I have ever witnessed [[ right there with Paul Williams For Once in My Life) there is no one on this planet like Betty Lavette and I do love her.........not because she is a singer, but because she is.........

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    there is no one on this planet like Betty Lavette and I do love her.........not because she is a singer, but because she is.........
    Amen.........And there are so many other artists that are like her ,too good artistic and talent wise to be a "Commercial Superstar". Too good and too deep to be mass marketed but rather respected and admired for artistic talent ,like a fine vintage wine or cognac or anything rich and bold enough to be worthy of special attention. Not for the masses ,but for the descriminate and appriciative audience.

"I was close to tears my dam self. I have never been so impressed with a singer in my life. It was like getting caught up in a church revival meeting. My friend Gary just looked at me...and I told him Don't you say a dam word.......... honestly it was the best live performance of a song I have ever witnessed"

I know just what you mean by that. I saw Mandrill @ BB Kings last summer ,and when they did "House Of Wood" ,they dedicated it to their Grandfather and in fact I think of my Grands when I hear the track also. I was close to the stage and when Carlos got to the part when he say's "to your good good -----good good house of wood" on the last chorus before the tail end of the song , he paused after the first "good good". The room was silent and I said out loud [[to my amasement and being caught up in the performance) ,"Take your time brother" , and he looked at me and smiled and ten seconds of silence later ,he and the band delivered the second "good good house of wood" , on cue. Amazing ........... the tears actually ran down my face ,but I didn't give a shii , I just got me some tissue from Tito................LOL LOL

Bettye Lavette performing at the Kennedy Center Honors. Look at the faces of the honorees!! So Soulful It Hurts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJi6maTueSc