[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Recorded "Live" Soul Performances

What are the best recorded "live" soul performances, from both the standpoint of the performance and the quality of the recording? Some of my most favorite are James Brown, Otis Redding and Johnnie Taylor.

Texassoul,

Greetings from a fellow Texan! Hands down love, love, LOVE me some Sam and Dave from the Stax / Volt tour [[1967, Paris):

Pretty much anything on the Stax / Volt Revue Live DVD is fabulous.

Joe Tex was another entertainer with great stage presence:

And it's not exactly soul, but the late, great Texan Freddie King had some stellar live performances:
    Last edited by vcq; 11-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    Texassoul,

Greetings from a fellow Texan! Hands down, love, love, LOVE me some Sam and Dave from the Stax / Volt tour [[1967, Paris):
    Howdy fellow Texan. Where are you? I can't believe I overlooked the fabulous Stax/Volt European tour!! Thanks for reminding me.

smark21 Guest
    HOw about I Don't Want to Do Wrong by Love, Peace and Happiness [[lead vocal by Ann Bogan)

Now I know you guys thought I was going to post something by my boys.....but this record here is in my top ten of all time live performances.......just stellar....

Name:  lou%20rawls%20live%20cover.jpg
Views: 3117
Size:  49.7 KB

all the above are great, Ike & Tina Turner had some great LIVE albums.Of the early Motown LIVE Onstage series & the early Motortown Revue LIVE were great performance wise but were technically lacking, I the Miracles LIVE came out the best,sound wise.

Donny Hathaway Live Troubadour Hollywood

Al Green Live Tokyo

Bill Withers Live Carnegie Hall

Parliament/Funkadelic Live Bootleg Comming Around The Mountain

Gene Chandler @ the Regal "Rainbow '65"

Caliluv, you just beat me to it. I was just about to post Gene Chandler and Rainbow '65. I will also add James Brown- Live At the Apollo and Aretha at Fillmore West.

Gladys Knight & The Pips "Giving Up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2nZZj7Pnv8

James Carr-You Got My Mind Messed Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnuCFcE17Wk

Jesse James-Believe In Me Baby [[Part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka4JsOmbaFU

The O'Jays - Wildflower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdCqzTbvPEw

The Emotions- Peace Be Still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkZcuyzgu2Q

Wilson Pickett - Deborah [[San-Remo 1968)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlfF3GkJsNQ
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 11-10-2011 at 06:12 PM.

I have to say, my favorite Aretha performance is this one.

And then you had the studio albums masquerading as live, like Junior Walker's covers of "Money" or "How Sweet It Is" or Joe Tex's "Men Are Gettin' Scarce."

yea, you could tell the real LIVE ones.The Supremes At The Copa was a good LIVE one.Motown learned as time went on for sure.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    yea, you could tell the real LIVE ones.The Supremes At The Copa was a good LIVE one.Motown learned as time went on for sure.
    Weren't some of Diana Ross' vocals re-recorded in the studio as her voice was not in the best shape the nights they were recording the show?

uptight Guest
    Sorry, "I Don't Want to Do Wrong" by Love, Peace and Happiness was a great studio performance. It was enhanced by canned audience chatter near the beginning and canned audience applause.

Spinners Live was cool [[1975?)

And this is one of my all-time favorites live tracks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzWEalq6eOU
    Marvin Gaye singing "Distant Lover" in 1974. The whole album was cleverly mixed and edited. I like it when you can hear the audience oohing and cooing and it isn't overpowering the record. In this case, it sounds like every woman's seat got a bit wet during this song as he had them in the palm of his hand.

Earth, Wind & Fire Gratitude is another awesome example of a live LP.

Gene Chandler @ the Regal "Rainbow '65" ---OHHH hell yes!!!
    Bill Withers Live Carnegie Hall OHHH hell yes!!!!
    The O'Jays - Wildflower OHHHH hell yes!!!!!!
    The Classic LOU RAWLS album OOHHH hell yes!!!!

ADDING to LIVE - "LIVE" recordings;;
    OTIS REDDING @ MONTERY
    CURTIS---LIVE
    LAURA NYRO and LABELLE- GONNA TAKE A MIRACLE lp
    SYLVESTER---YOU ARE MY FRIEND
    RAMSEY LEWIS--HANG ON SLOOPY
    CANNONBALL ADDERLY- COUNTRY PREACHER
    ARETHA & RAY CHARLES-- SPIRIT IN THE DARK,,[[unedited version)
    I CAN'T SAY NO-- NATALIE COLE
    HOW COULD I LET YOU GET AWAY--THE SPINNERS [[Live album)
    LUTHER VANDROSS @ RADIO CITY
    SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE @ WOODSTOCK [[COMPLETE)
    EARTH WIND AND FIRE---REASONS --[[from GRATITUDE)******

"STUDIO" Live---
    LABELLE--- MOONSHADOW
    JAMES BROWN--TALKIN LOUD AND SAYING NOTHING--[[UNEDITED VERSION)
    FUNKADELIC-- MAGGOTT BRAIN

uptight Guest
    daddacey, remember when you could hear a live LP track from Spinners Live or Teddy Pendergrass Live or Natalie Cole Live on the R&B radio stations?

Swanee from this LP......wonderful sound .......

Name:  Temptations-live-at-thecopa.jpg
Views: 3264
Size:  42.6 KB

Kdub always has an ace up his sleeve....I KNEW you would come in with your boys but you surprised me....I thought it would be this one

Ha ha.....so true Ms. M but when Texassoul wrote this:

What are the best recorded "live" soul performances, from both the standpoint of the performance and the quality of the recording?

I decided not to post it although it's in my top ten, the Tempts are great but this albums mastering was kinda raw.....some spots were great others were not, I must admit I like the fact that they left in the vocal mistakes, David Ruffins voice cracked a few times, always got a kick out of that.....the sound and composition on Copa was far superior, I always thought of The Tempts Live as being juke joint funky and Copa as supper club sophisticated.....lol.....

I believe this has been mentioned but in my opinion this is one of the greatest live albums of all time.......................

Name:  donny.jpg
Views: 2792
Size:  9.5 KB

http://youtu.be/jkLZ_pVwU3k
    how can you guys forget this epic performance? this one gives me goose bump everytime!
    Last edited by the_classic_master; 11-11-2011 at 02:56 PM.

I always thought of The Tempts Live as being juke joint funky and Copa as supper club sophisticated.....lol.....

I hear ya but I'll take the jook joint, pickled pig feet and "Jai elixir" over velvet chairs, champagne and caviar any day....LOL

but I ain't mad at cha

Me too, just trying to put it in context so folk would understand my rationale.......

Laurel Guest
    There is so much good music you're talking about here. And I love looking at the album covers. I love it when I go to garage sales and they have a lot of old record albums for sale. I'll keep my eye out on a classic live album tomorrow when I do my garage sales. I hope I can find something good!

Oops... I forgot to add Mr. Excitement himself, Jackie Wilson, and Sam Cooke!

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    daddacey, remember when you could hear a live LP track from Spinners Live or Teddy Pendergrass Live or Natalie Cole Live on the R&B radio stations?
    Ahh yes!! Back in the early days of R&B FM stations and the college stations/independent stations. The time when the DJ's were knowledgeable of the music and artists they played ,not like todays pre-programmed/pre-playlisted radio where the playlist is based on old charts from the Classic era ,which don't have any creational content as far as sequence and programming and don't reflect the cultural aspect of SOUL MUSIC ,which includes tracks NOT represented by commercial sales charts ,but popular in the house and parties. Current "Classic Soul" radio has hosts that don't know squat about the music or artists and programmed/sequenced by a tech or producer with no creative insight. There are many tracks that are very popular from the Soul/Funk/Jazz and R&B album period ,that were not played on radio or didn't make it into rotation because of the "Hit's" mentality of the industry ,yet among those who bought albums because of hits have discovered and enjoyed tracks that were just as good as the "Hits". A lot are "studio live" recordings ,that are more appearent in older recordings of the late 60's to the early 70's.

Like---New Birth's-- Got To Get A Knutt, Until It's Time For You To Go
    Dyke and The Blazers--Funky Broadway
    Kool and The Gang's--Who's Gonna Take The Weight
    These are recordings that you can tell were not overdubbed. A lot of "Recorded live" recordings are tweaked with overdubbs etc, to sound as close to the studio environment sound as possible. The studio is a perfect environment, live is not. Live is not perfect and that is the magic of Live performance.

Live is not perfect and that is the magic of Live performance.

AMEN!!!!!!!

and that statement sums up why I have always enjoyed your musical taste Daddyacey...if this was Facebook, you'd get a thumbs up....LOL

James Brown--"Revolution of the Mind"

Labelle "Can I Speak to You Before you go to Hollywood"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnMqpAT0ubE

I was looking over this thread this morning and said WTF ? How in the hell did I forget these.......a double dose of Buddy Miles here, his live version of "Down By The River" is classic, as is his turn with Mr. Hendrix on "Who Knows"...one of my all time favorite Hendrix tunes.......

Name:  BM.jpg
Views: 3014
Size:  57.4 KB

paladin--"Who Know's" is one of my faves also ,but Miles and Hendrix on "Machine Gun" where both of them emulate the sound of a machine gun , just tears me up!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That being said , I have to share with you ,[[a fellow vinylphile ), Them Changes and Free Form Funkafide Filth from "Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles Live" ,Columbia # KC31308 ,1972. I don't think it's on CD so.............

Adding to the "studio live" catagory----the ultra classic, one take--"MAGGOT BRAIN"

Ms M-- thanks for the thumbs up , you caught me smiling....again...

Sam Moore and The Tower Of Power Horns with Huey Lewis & The News - I Thank You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHI1V5E9Oo

I just love Sam Moore's voice!

maze live in new orleans
    gratitude ew+f
    george duke and billy cobham live in europe
    isaac hayes live at sahara tahoe
    parliament p-funk earth tour
    sex machine james brown
    atlantic family live at montreux [[not sure of spelling!)awb etc.
    ojays live in europe [[hammersmith odeon)
    billy paul live in london [[hammersmith odeon)
    there are probably more but these are the ones that came to me 1st.

heavy metal be-bop the brekker brothers
    montruex summit vol 1 and 2 jazz/funk double albums bob james,stan getz,alphonso johnson,herbet laws george duke,dexter gordon,billy cobham,eric gale,it goes on and on if you havent heard the 2 albums go looking for them!

"Living Proof" by Sylvester is one of the greatest live albums of all time and my personal favorite. Though he was touted as a disco artist and his image often overshadowed his talent, this recording always gives me goose bumps. Backed by an orchestra and those power houses known as Two Tons of Fun, this album is a musical joy ride. The Beatle's classic "Blackbird", The medley of Leon Russell's "A Song For You" and Manilow's "Could This Be Magic" is truly magic; The jazzy Billie Holiday classic "Lover Man" and the beautiful "Sharing Something Special Between Us' featuring spine tingling adlibs from Martha Wash and Izora Rhodes. His version of "You Are My Friend" [[Patti LaBelle's signature song) is performed witha lot of conviction and climaxes at the end again with the Two Tons taking over. Sylvester also performs his own songs "Happiness" and "Body Strong". The closing of "Dance Disco Heat" and "You Make Me Feel [[Mighty Real)" turns into a Church of God in Christ revival with the singers, musicians and Sylvester turning the energy all the way past 10. You can hear a lot of Sylvester's gospel influence in this entire recording. The man had soul and you can hear from the beginning to the end on this album.
    Last edited by glencro; 11-15-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    "Living Proof" by Sylvester is one of the greatest live albums of all time /recording always gives me goose bumps/ power houses known as Two Tons of Fun/Martha Wash and Izora Rhodes. His version of "You Are My Friend" [[Patti LaBelle's signature song) is performed witha lot of conviction and climaxes at the end again with the Two Tons taking over.
    YESSSSSS!!!!!!

" These girl's , they don't need them wigs, they don't need them jewelries. These women can sing yall"

Luther Vandross--Live @ Radio City

Prince-- One Nite Alone

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    YESSSSSS!!!!!!

" These girl's , they don't need them wigs, they don't need them jewelries. These women can sing yall"
    LOL daddyacey...that was the line of the night lol

Ashford & Simpson's "PERFORMANCE" is a great live recording

Great thread texassoul!

Wow, just about all of my favorites have been mentioned. I would add Esther Phillips Live at the Pied Piper and The Impressions "We're A Winner."

Glencro, all the great live albums and you nailed the very best. Nothing more to say....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvK4NsNnydE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuFp2vcdi5s

Also, after hearing the album, I bought everything and anything I could find that Eric Robinson played on..... his keyboards are as impressive as Sylvester's singing
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 11-16-2011 at 05:55 PM.

This specific performance always floors me, the first time I heard this, I had chills.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Labelle "Can I Speak to You Before you go to Hollywood"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnMqpAT0ubE

Thank you for posting this Bob C
    thank you very much.
    Always loved this song, never saw them do it live.
    Thank you again...

The second side of the Motortown Revue in Paris really works - the first side less so. Martha and Stevie both turn in great performances, Earl and the guys are really on full form, and it still sounds Motown. Nowhere to Run and Stevie and Clarence duetting on Funny How Time Slips Away with some funky B3 fills from the master....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Glencro, all the great live albums and you nailed the very best. Nothing more to say....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvK4NsNnydE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuFp2vcdi5s

Also, after hearing the album, I bought everything and anything I could find that Eric Robinson played on..... his keyboards are as impressive as Sylvester's singing
    Thanks for posting those songs. I would say two of my favorites from that recording but the entire album is a fav. Eric's playing was superb. I'm going to have to look up some other recordings that he's featured on.

How about the miracles farewell performance recorded at the carter barron in dc!!

How about;;;;;;;

Gladys Knight and The Pips-- Try To Remember/ The Way We Were [[1975)
    Joe Tex -Skinny Legs
    Baby Huey and The Babysitters-- Mighty Mighty pts 1+2
    Dyke and The Blazers-- Funky Broadway
    The WattStax Lp's
    Kool & The Gang---Live At P.J.'s
    Aretha Franklin-- Amazing Grace [[Mary Dont You Weep)!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marvin Gaye--- Distant Lover [[London Palladium)
    Les McCann and Eddie Harris----Compared To What? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This great live recording is special to me because it features the guitar playing of a yourg Charles "Skip" Pitts, {Shaft-It's Your Thing} and the guy's who would become Wilson Pickett's "Midnight Movers" and later on the Isley Brothers band. I really love this record.