[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    [January 2012] Diana Ross - Diana Ross [[Deluxe Edition) [Hip-O Select]

Page 1 of 1
    [ 2 posts ]
    Previous topic | Next topic

Rock'n'Roll Elitist Post subject: [January 2012] Diana Ross - Diana Ross [[Deluxe Edition) [Hip-O Select]Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:00 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early word leaking out from Harry's crew at Hip-O Select is they are currently working on Diana's 1976 self-titled album. The deluxe edition has a tenantive release date of January 2012.

"Diana Ross" was the second album to bear just her name [[the first, of course, being her 1970 solo debut), and the first of Ross' albums since her debut to yield more than four hit singles. It reached #5 on the US Billboard 200 album chart, #4 on the US Billboard R&B Album Chart and the Top 10 in the UK. When it was originally issued on February 10, 1976, Diana's second motion picture, "Mahogany" was still in theaters, the Tony-award winning show "An Evening With Diana Ross" was breaking box office records on Broadway, and Billboard magazine named her "Artist Of The Century". Two singles from "Diana Ross" became #1 hits: "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)" [[also included on the Mahogany soundtrack), and the disco anthem, "Love Hangover". Two further single releases - "One Love In My Lifetime" and "I Thought It Took A Liitle Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)" also charted [[#25 and #47 Pop, respectively).

Alternate vocals have been found for all nine tracks of the original LP, along with previously missing verses from many tracks and tracks that have never been released. No mention has been made yet what those unreleased tracks will be, though one inclusion might be "Don't Leave Me This Way," which producer Hal Davis cut on Diana [[the same backing track used for the eventual Thelma Houston release).

More info to follow...

Rolling Stone Interview

I remember a Rolling Stone or Interview [[Andy Warhol) piece on DR at the time she was doing the Palace Theater with an Evening with that stated that she was in the studio nights after finishing the show laying down some new tracks. I have tried to find a copy of this article on line but with no success.

Could some of the tracks be some of the unreleased material.

Please folks feel free to jump in here if anyone has these old publications. Harry or Andy?

I was hoping for Baby It's Me, but any new remastered DR is appreciated.

maybe I missed it, but was the first solo Ross album given the expanded edition treatment? Is it still available?

Here It Is

Samples

To view this content, download Flash player [[version 8.0.0.0 or higher)

Song Title Time Price
    1. Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand) 3:08 $0.99
    2. Now That There's You 3:31 $0.99
    3. You're All I Need To Get By 3:29 $0.99
    4. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You 3:12 $0.99
    5. Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Single Version) 6:20 $0.99
    6. Something On My Mind 2:28 $0.99
    7. I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is 3:21 $0.99
    8. Keep An Eye 3:17 $0.99
    9. Where There Was Darkness 3:19 $0.99
    10. Can't It Wait Until Tomorrow 3:19 $0.99
    11. Dark Side Of The World 3:13 $0.99
    12. Something On My Mind [[Live at The Grove) 2:37 $0.99
    13. Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Alternate mix) 6:06 $0.99
    14. Now That There's You [[Alternate Vocal Version) 3:08 $0.99
    15. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You [[Alternate mix) 3:13 $0.99
    16. Time And Love 4:08 $0.99
    17. Stoney End 3:39 $0.99
    18. The Interim 4:49 $0.99
    19. Loves, Lines, Angles And Rhymes 4:02 $0.99

Visit our audio help page for more information

this was commercially released and is still available?

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post
    I remember a Rolling Stone or Interview [[Andy Warhol) piece on DR at the time she was doing the Palace Theater with an Evening with that stated that she was in the studio nights after finishing the show laying down some new tracks. I have tried to find a copy of this article on line but with no success.

Could some of the tracks be some of the unreleased material.

Please folks feel free to jump in here if anyone has these old publications. Harry or Andy?

I was hoping for Baby It's Me, but any new remastered DR is appreciated.
    There was a ROLLING STONE cover story during the summer of 1977. It mentioned that Diana was recording "ALL NIGHT LOVER" which ended up on "BABY IT'S ME". I also read that during this time Diana was recording two albums simultaneously, one of them being a disco album.

I read that article. She said All Night Lover was reminiscent of the original Motown Sound. I found it to be a poor replica. The better cuts on Baby It's Me are You Got It, Too Shy To Say, The Same Love That Made Me Laugh [[which should have been a single, it was played on Soul Train even)

I thought the first single should have been All Night Lover and then The Same Love That Made Me Laugh; in another era, Confide in Me would have been a success.

And yes, Diana 1970, Expanded is still available on Amazon.

I always liked ALL NIGHT LOVER. It reminded me somewhat of I HEAR A SYMPHONY. Overall, I just feel that BABY IT'S ME is a great album. After its release, I remember watching a tv show that had Raquel Welch as a special guest. Every song she sang was from BABY IT'S ME.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I always liked ALL NIGHT LOVER. It reminded me somewhat of I HEAR A SYMPHONY. Overall, I just feel that BABY IT'S ME is a great album. After its release, I remember watching a tv show that had Raquel Welch as a special guest. Every song she sang was from BABY IT'S ME.
    "Getting Ready for Love" and the whole "Baby It's Me" album is Diana Ross at her all time best! Nothing before it or after has captured her unique vocal talents and style like that album. Richard Perry is to be commended as well.

agreed...highly under rated album...

loved ALL NIGHT LOVER and the BABY IT'S ME album. loved DR76, a great album.looking forward to this...what a way to start off the new year

Engineer Russ Terrana [[y'all know who he is) could have brought home some material of Love Hangover.

Ralph, could you please ask your bro if he did?

smark21 Guest
    I enjoy both Diana Ross 76 and Baby It's Me. I hope Baby It's Me gets the deluxe re-release at some point. Come in from the Rain is one of Ross' best ballads ever. For the more uptempo stuff on Baby It's Me, I like Top of the World.

I'm a big fan of BABY, IT'S ME, too - a really solid album all around. Speaking of "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh", I thought Queen Latifah's version from a few years back was really great, too.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1617425&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I'm a big fan of BABY, IT'S ME, too - a really solid album all around. Speaking of "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh", I thought Queen Latifah's version from a few years back was really great, too.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1617425&sr=8-1
    The way in which they ordered the tracks on the album was just masterful. It was like "Gettin' Ready for Love" was used as a vocal warm-up and then she took off and really settled into the rest of the set. The entire album was crisp, clear, light, moody and in it's own way a bit funky [["Baby It's Me). Why Motown did not have Richard Perry produce a follow up is beyond me.

Robbert,
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

I tracked down the August 1977 issue of Rolling Stone with Diana Ross on the cover. There were two features on Diana and in the section "The Summer and Fall of Diana Ross by Ben Fong-Torres, he referred to entries in her appointment book for Tuesday, 21st June, 1977. "At four [[p.m.) she is right on time at Richard Perry's Studio 55 in Los Angeles. It becomes clear that the schedule is incomplete. After doing the vocal track over pre-recorded instrumentals for "All Night Lover," she must go uptown to Motown's studio where she is recording another album with another producer, Hal Davis, maker of "Love Hangover." The company apparently wants enough on the shelves to tide over her time spent filming the Wiz."

Ross goes on to state, "The Perry album... is a love album. We wanted to make a record people could make love to - keep putting the arm on back to the thing, and make love to it." She went on to state, "The Motown album, on the other hand, is for for dancing." Fong-Torres wrote, she is recording it simultaneously "because I'm leaving for the Wiz, and that's not the reason, really. I wanted to follow up 'Love Hangover' with a disco type of album."

Fong-Torres continued with. She isn't sure - and in fact doesn't care - which Motown will release first. "Whichever they need," she says. "Whatever the market looks like it's ripe for." She is pleased to have enough product to free her to pay full attention to the Wiz."

Evidently, "Don't Leave Me This Way" and a disco arrangement of "For Once in My Life" were recorded during the Davis sessions. One can only wonder what treats are in store if all the session tracks get released!

For those readers of this thread who may not be aware, Motown staff writer, Marilyn McLeod, who co-wrote "Love Hangover" is the sister of musician, Alice McLeod, who married John Coltrane. Marilyn McLeod was part of the short lived group "The Nu Page" which had one release of the MoWest Label in 1973 "When The Brothers Come Marching Home" b/w "A Heart Is A House." McLeod continues to record and in 2010 she released a CD entitled "I Believe" featuring compositions she co-wrote with Janie Bradford, best known as the co-writer of the early Motown hit, "Money." McLeod's nephew, LA based hip hop recording artist Flying Lotus continues the musical family tradition and samples his late aunt, Alice Coltrane in his output.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 11-26-2011 at 12:50 AM. Reason: more information

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Ahh but you can buy poppers on Amazon.... Copy and paste the link.... To save on shipping though do pick up a Motown Release and keep the reissues coming.....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...3Aamyl+nitrate
    I agree with Laurel that the discussion has strayed way too far from Diana. However, I am always saying you can buy almost anything on Amazon. This proves the point all too well! amazing! I thought they were illegal in most states. Okay back to the topic at hand.

Though I have the first edition of "The Black Album" when it was initially released on Cd, I am excited about this release. All the Diana solo Expanded Editions have been great. For me, the pinnacle has been "Touch Me in the Morning:Expanded Edition". "To the Baby" could have easily been a stand alone release like "Blue". At one point, I believe "Blue" was supposed to be part of an Expanded Edition of "Lady Sings the Blues". But apparently, there are very strict restrictions that nothing can be changed on the soundtrack. They were hoping to release "Blue" to coincide with the release of the movie finally on DVD. At least, that is what I understood it to be.

But if they can top "Touch Me in the Morning: Expanded Edition" with "Diana Ross 1976/The Black Album", that will be heavenly.

selinasian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    [January 2012] Diana Ross - Diana Ross [[Deluxe Edition) [Hip-O Select]

Page 1 of 1
    [ 2 posts ]
    Previous topic | Next topic

Rock'n'Roll Elitist Post subject: [January 2012] Diana Ross - Diana Ross [[Deluxe Edition) [Hip-O Select]Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:00 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early word leaking out from Harry's crew at Hip-O Select is they are currently working on Diana's 1976 self-titled album. The deluxe edition has a tenantive release date of January 2012.

"Diana Ross" was the second album to bear just her name [[the first, of course, being her 1970 solo debut), and the first of Ross' albums since her debut to yield more than four hit singles. It reached #5 on the US Billboard 200 album chart, #4 on the US Billboard R&B Album Chart and the Top 10 in the UK. When it was originally issued on February 10, 1976, Diana's second motion picture, "Mahogany" was still in theaters, the Tony-award winning show "An Evening With Diana Ross" was breaking box office records on Broadway, and Billboard magazine named her "Artist Of The Century". Two singles from "Diana Ross" became #1 hits: "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)" [[also included on the Mahogany soundtrack), and the disco anthem, "Love Hangover". Two further single releases - "One Love In My Lifetime" and "I Thought It Took A Liitle Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)" also charted [[#25 and #47 Pop, respectively).

Alternate vocals have been found for all nine tracks of the original LP, along with previously missing verses from many tracks and tracks that have never been released. No mention has been made yet what those unreleased tracks will be, though one inclusion might be "Don't Leave Me This Way," which producer Hal Davis cut on Diana [[the same backing track used for the eventual Thelma Houston release).

More info to follow...
    Now this sounds like it's gonna be a good album!!!!!!
    Can't wait!

Thanks R Mark for tracking down that Rolling Stone article. I remembered something about a "second" album being recorded around the time of BIM but didn't want to post about something without ALL the facts. Looks like we will have some rarities to look forward to in January!

I went back to the photocopied sheet of the microfilm copy of the August 1977 Rolling Stone feature I tracked down and have this nugget to add. Diana is in Richard Perry's studio and has just completed recording "All Night Lover." Ben Fong-Torres writes:

She spends more than an hour on the tune, breaking only once for a few puffs of a More cigarette. "This is the old, old sound," she says. "The Motown Sound." After finishing the track, she sits patiently while Perry plays demos of songs he wants her to consider. She is mostly noncommital, and rejects one song because "it kind of reminds me of yesterday, of the the Rolling Stones kind of song. I can hear Mick..." She listens to her version of Stevie Wonder's "Too Shy To Say," to which Perry has just added strings the night before. "That was a good one," she says, "very nice," and picks up her canvas tote bag..... and heads towards Perry's office.

This article is a real time capsule and paints a wonderful picture. It is too bad that no one ever gave thought to documenting these magic moments on film.
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 11-26-2011 at 03:48 PM.

I remember reading once that there was a documentary, behind the scene type of thing surrounding the making of "Baby its Me". Can any verify if this is true? I am looking forward to Diana Ross 76. This sounds like a real good one.

Bokiluis;
    Just read your comment concerning Diana's recording "Blue" and the soundtrack to "Lady Sings The BLues." At the onset of the recording sessions for "Lady" Gil Askey was the project's musical supervisor and prepared some test recordings. Evidently Berry Gordy was so concerned that Diana had immersed herself too much into Billie Holiday's sound, that he requested she put more of her own musical personality into the recordings. I was very fortunate to have heard a copy of an acetate of these early sessions. How this acetate survived, or got out of the Motown Studio is a mystery, but these recordings, though certainly not pristine in audio quality, are wonderful, and totally demonstrate how immersed Diana was in this project. Askey is heard counting down the small band, and after her first take of "Don't Explain" Ross states "this could be much better......." Hopefully a remastered version of these treasures will be unearthed and given broader exposure!

These recordings are unreleased versions of "Crazy He Calls Me," "What A Little Moonlight Can Do," "The Man I Love," "Don't Explain," "Tain't Nobody's Business If I Do," "Lover Man [[Oh Where Can You Be," "Good Morning Heartache," "I Cried For You," and a second take of "Don't Explain" notated "Rubato version."
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 11-26-2011 at 05:54 PM.

i am looking forward to this album. never knew she recorded DONT LEAVE ME THIS WAY, thought that was just a rumour. thanks for all the info!

Andy and George will have a better assessment of the session[[s), but although Diana Ross was assigned the song, she did not record vocals to "Don't Leave Me This Way."

Marv
    I agree with your assessment of Ross and her voice this album [[with most of her Motown output) was Ross at her best. I like some of the RCA songs [[very few) but even Everything is Everything she showed her vocal chops especially on My Place! Any fool could see All Night Lover would have been a hit I dont know why they didnt pick that one. One thing I have to give Motown when it came to using her face on album covers they knew how to make her look good but when I look at the RCA covers she looks drugged up, or airbrushed. To this day when it comes to RCA I will never understand why Chain Reaction was not a huge hit here in America like it was overseas. The RCA albums with the exception of the hits are hard to listen to because they sound like nothing but filler. I have to say one of the Ross albums I listened to the most was this one and Last Time I Saw Him. Who couldnt listen to Stone Liberty and I Heard a Love Song [[But you never made a sound). Great album cover with the red lighting.

funny.LAST TIME I SAW HIM was my least favorite album,...which seemed to have nothing but filler on it.
    i agree with your assessment on CHAIN REACTION and i still cant believe it wasnt a hit. but i will say the same about I'M STILL WAITING,TODAY I FELL IN LOVE,TAKE ME HIGHER CD ,THE FORCE BEHIND...CD.
    i also think ALL NIGHT LOVER was single potential. i would have released it.
    the ROSS 78 and TO LOVE AGAIN albums seemed like lost oppertunities. with all the unreleased stuff in the vaults both contained previously released material. they could have taken both albums and put them together for one really good album if they used only the new material.imo.

Harry,thanks for clearing that up. thought that was odd that a great song like that wasnt released on Diana. i did hear she traded the song for DO YOU KNOW WHERE....??????
    cant wait, this is my favorite Ross lp

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    this was commercially released and is still available?
    The first "Diana Ross" expanded edition was not a Hip-O release, but is still available as a CD-R on Amazon. The "Time and Love" is the same backing track as that on the Supremes "Touch" track. I like the album but the Bones Howe tracks, to me, are not really her kind of material. Here is its blurb:

The only surprise in Diana Ross forging a solo career outside the Supremes is how long she waited to do it. Her 1970 debut shrewdly capitalized on her former band's spectacular string of successes at the same time that it carved out a niche for Ross as one of modern pop's most formidable divas. That not inconsiderable task of reinvention fell to the songwriting/production team of Ashford & Simpson, who constructed a musical framework that traded freely on the sheer dynamics and dramatic potential of Ross's voice on tracks like "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" and the massive No. 1 hit "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." Loose, light, and occasionally neo-spiritual, it's an album that's almost daringly free of Motown history and clichés, right down to its cover imagery. This digitally remastered edition features a wealth of bonus tracks that include four from the album's first [[aborted) sessions with producer Bones Howe--including Laura Nyro's "Stoney End," a hit for Streisand shortly thereafter--that give an intriguing glimpse of the somewhat jazzier and even more pop-oriented album that might have been. Also included are alternate mixes of "Ain't No Mountain" and "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You," an alternate vocal take of "Now There's You" that underscores the subtleties of Ross's technique, and a showy, unreleased live version of the album's "Something on My Mind" from one of the diva's first 1970 solo performances. --Jerry McCulley

smark21 Guest
    I wonder if the entire "Let's see if Diana Ross can do it on her own" show was recorded? That would be a release Diana Ross fans would buy.

what label released the expanded DIANA ROSS if it wasn't Hip O? do they not have the rights[[Hip-O) to issue it?

what label released the expanded DIANA ROSS if it wasn't Hip O? do they not have the rights[[Hip-O) to issue it?
    The Motown label-
    In 2002, Motown started a Motown Classic Albums, Remastered & Revisited series, available in stores. In addition to the "Diana Ross" album, Commodores "Live", Smokey Robinson & the Miracles "Going To A Go-Go/Away We A Go-Go" and the Supremes " Sing Rogers & Hart: The Complete Recordings" were issued.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    The Motown label-
    In 2002, Motown started a Motown Classic Albums, Remastered & Revisited series, available in stores. In addition to the "Diana Ross" album, Commodores "Live", Smokey Robinson & the Miracles "Going To A Go-Go/Away We A Go-Go" and the Supremes " Sing Rogers & Hart: The Complete Recordings" were issued.
    I'm sure Hip-O would have done a much finer job on it, with much more than just the 4 unreleased tracks and a couple alternates. I like this album, and actually I like it much more now than when it first came out, though I don't consider it amongst her best.

Comparatively speaking, the Hip-O releases of "Touch Me in the Morning" and "Last Time I saw Him" are fantastic pieces and full of real gems.

I do like the Motown reissue of "To Love Again," which includes many of her middle Motown period work; again, not a lot that were new at the time but still a great collection of ballads, which I think also includes a version of "Touch Me in the Morning," to me her finest vocal ever.

well, Hip-O should re reissue it their way, Motown fans are quite used to multiple re releases of classic albums, this would not be a shocker, and would be most welcome

well, Hip-O should re reissue it their way, Motown fans are quite used to multiple re releases of classic albums, this would not be a shocker, and would be most welcome
    Jimi, I do agree...K

Four of my top 5 Diana Ross albums [["Diana Ross 70", "Surrender", "Everything Is Everything", and "Touch Me In The Morning"), have already been expanded, so it'll be nice to get my 5th [["Diana Ross 76"). Really looking forward to this.
    It'd also be nice if they included Thelma's version of "Theme From Mahogany", just like they included "Surrender" By Val on the extended "Surrender" set.
    Then, I too would like to see the "Baby It's Me" get the same treatment. I'd also like the "Ross" set, but not sure that'll happen.

Wayne

From today's MusicTap:

Hip-O Select plan the release of Diana Ross [[1976): Special Edition on CD for January 31.

Any hints that HW could give us by chance, like if it's going to be a single or double cd release? :-)

Here you go guys. It's available for pre-order
    http://www.amazon.com/Diana-Ross-Spe...3542269&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxx View Post
    Any hints that HW could give us by chance, like if it's going to be a single or double cd release? :-)
    In the More Hits By The Supremes booklet it says the Diana Ross expanded edition is a 2-CD set!

Diana Ross [[1976): Special Edition
    Diana Ross [[Artist) | Format: Audio CD
    Like 1323558941 false 0 0 0 0 [[0)
    Price: $27.23 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
    Deal Price:
    Special Offers Available
    Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

This title will be released on January 31, 2012.
    Pre-order now!
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Ordering for Christmas? This item has a future release date and will arrive after December 25.

Find Holiday Music and Great Gift Ideas
    Explore the Music Gift Store, featuring Holiday Music [[CD | MP3), Greatest Hits Collections [[CD | MP3), Box Sets, Deluxe Editions, and more.
    › See more product promotions

Finally found the tracklist online!

Yippee!

Tracks
    Disc 1
    1 Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)
    2 I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)
    3 Love Hangover
    4 Kiss Me Now
    5 You're Good My Child
    6 One Love In My Lifetime
    7 Ain't Nothin' But a Maybe
    8 After You
    9 Smile
    10 Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right
    11 Together
    12 I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [Single Version]
    13 Love Hangover [Single Version]
    14 One Love In My Lifetime [Single Version]
    15 To Love Again [Alternate Version]
    16 We're Always Saying Goodbye [Alternate Version]
    17 This Christmas [Alternate Version]
    18 Coming Home [Stereo Mix]
    Disc 2
    1 Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [Alternate Version]
    2 I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [Alternate Version]
    3 Love Hangover [Alternate Version #1]
    4 Kiss Me Now [Alternate Version]
    5 You're Good My Child [Alternate Version]
    6 One Love In My Lifetime [Alternate Version]
    7 Ain't Nothin' But a Maybe [Alternate Version]
    8 After You [Alternate Version]
    9 Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [Alternate Version]
    10 Together [Alternate Version]
    11 Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [Alternate Version #2]
    12 Harmony
    13 Le Lo Li
    14 Go Where Your Mind is
    15 Diana Ross Interview [Excerpted]

Thank you SugarChile! Looks promising! I wonder if "Together" and "Sorry Doesn't Make It Right" are the 1978 remix versions from the Ross album? Maybe these were included because those are the only two tracks from that album that we still don't have on CD? Now we can make our own "Ross" Expanded Edition The original unreleased tracks look interesting!

darn ,i was hoping for the track WHERE DID WE GO WRONG from the Ross 78. not sure if TOGETHER fits this album. thought that was an out take from LAST TIME I SAW HIM??

thank you Sugar,....nice christmas treat this morning! heard about Harmony track, me thinks its a Elton John song

Quote Originally Posted by redlabs View Post
    darn ,i was hoping for the track WHERE DID WE GO WRONG from the Ross 78. not sure if TOGETHER fits this album. thought that was an out take from LAST TIME I SAW HIM??
    Here I thought that the 1978 remix of Where Did We Go Wrong had already been released on CD somewhere, but I was checking and it doesn't look like it has. Together is from Last Time I Saw Him, but then it was remixed and included on Ross 1978. The '73 and '78 versions have always sounded the same to me, but it's also been a while since I've listened to the '78 LP...
    Last edited by carlo; 12-25-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Is Le Lo Li a Sly Stone cover? Wouldnt have been on my radar as a song for Diana to cover. Harmony is a cover of the Elton John song according to the discography in the last Taraborelli bio of Ross. Was considered for inclusion in Ross 78 though its recording date must be from this era. Together was mixed for the Mahogany soundtrack which was going to have several Michael Masser pieces but that idea got scrapped and most those songs were shifted onto this album instead. They must have some great unreleased songs or a lot of alternates in the vault for the Ross 78 album to put those songs on here as alternates..... I cannot wait to get this....

At first, I raised my eyebrow when I saw that "Coming Home" and "This Christmas" were being included on this release. But I guess it would make the most sense to include them with this album. This Christmas is from '74, so it wouldn't have made sense to include it with LTISH Expanded or TMITM Expanded. I think Coming Home is from '74-ish as well...

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Here I thought that the 1978 remix of Where Did We Go Wrong had already been released on CD somewhere, but I was checking and it doesn't look like it has. Together is from Last Time I Saw Him, but then it was remixed and included on Ross 1978. The '73 and '78 versions have always sounded the same to me, but it's also been a while since I've listened to the '78 LP...
    To my ears, they're [[the two mixes of "Together") very different. I prefer the Ross '78 mix, as it took out the flutes. I can't stand flutes, except in "Sparkle" from 'The Boss'.

You're correct that "Where Did We Go Wrong" '78 mix has still not appeared on CD anywhere. I always felt it rightly deserved a place on the 'To Love Again' expanded edition.

And....the Ross '78 remix of "Reach Out, I'll Be There" has yet to make its CD debut. I love this mix of the song.