[REMOVE ADS]

More hits is here

Got it yesterday. Excellent packaging, great photos and outstanding sound quality. Ironically it got to me on Andy's birthday. The stereo mixes of Surfer Boy, etc is quite good and an alternate Nothing But Heartaches had me bopping.

Great job Andy, George et al

I agree. My copy arrived yesterday as well. Even though I had heard most of the songs, I still spent the rest of the day playing it. Aside from the great packaging, I particularly enjoyed the live tracks from the Fox and the Olympia.

I'm not finished listening to it but I love Diana's alternate takes on Whisper You Love Me and He Holds His Own. You can really hear Flo in the background. The fans are really gonna love this set

From the liner notes I see that we are going to revisit Diana's 1976 Love Hangover album soon. Not among my favs, but it has some nice tracks on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    From the liner notes I see that we are going to revisit Diana's 1976 Love Hangover album soon.
    Great to hear! Thanks!

i got mine today and it looks and sounds great!,however ,i have a question, is there one booklet or two. i got one with the photo's but i got nothing with the time line that has been used in the past deluxe editions

There should be two booklets.

One is for the expanded edition, with alternate photos of Diana and Mary in place of the more familiar photos on the original album cover.

The other booklet is a reproduction of one of their 1965 souvenir programs.

thanks Reese.i only got one.

I ordered from amazon..I certainly hope both booklets are included

Redlabs, did you look carefully inside the other sleeve on the other end of the cd? I thought mine was missing too until I looked more carefully myself.

aaron, i looked but yeah ,nothing! i thought something was missing. but i keep looking, i only have the one...so far

Have you tried tearing apart the entire digi-pack? lol. Just kidding. Please don't do that.

Try e-mailing Andy or HW. I'm sure they will help you out.

Carlo,lol. i emailed hipo and i am waiting for a reply.if not i will email Harry/Andy.thanks,david

Can anyone confirm for me which tracks are 'first time stereo' ones - i'm thinking they are:

Come Into My Palace
    Beach Ball
    Too Hurt To Cry
    Too Much A Little Too Soon

any others?

Disc 1: He Holds His Own [[original unreleased 1965 stereo mix) and Coke commercials.

Disc 2: Take Me Where You Go is a stereo mix before the strings were added. Oowee Baby [[First stereo mix with hand claps) and first stereo mix for Surfer Boy. All mixed in 2011

Stop! and Back In My Arms Again are new 2011 mixes with the alternate vocals and different endings [[no fade).

New 2011 mix and vocals on Nothing But Heartaches [[with an instrumental break), Whisper You Love Me Boy, He Holds His Own and It's All Your Fault. Alternate track and vocals on Mother Dear [[Version 2).

The German singles were mixed in 1987 for MOTOWN AROUND THE WORLD but that CD has been out of print for years. The original mono mixes of these singles are on the new "Around The World" CD and also on DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES: THE SINGLES COLLECTION 1961-1969.

No master tapes in the vaults for the LIVE IN PARIS show, so these are the original mono mixes but the show at the Fox was just mixed for this collection.

Maybe a little more info than you asked for :-)

www.cdwow.com has it for $21.99 including shipping. Last week it was $19.49

Maybe a little more info than you asked for :-)
    Are you kidding? There is no such thing! ;-)

I hope when my copy from AMAZON comes it has 2 booklets - that's not a HIP-O exclusive thing, is it?

To everyone who has ordered this set,

Please let me know if you do not have a [[fab) second booklet. It should be in every copy - i.e., it is not exclusive to Select.com. You can email us at classic.motown@umusic.com and/or through the Hip-oSelect.com customer service contact.

George:

First of all, thanks for the work you've done on another great release.

I had questions about the Paris tracks. Flo's patter on YOU'RE NOBODY 'TIL SOMEBODY LOVES YOU sounds as if it might have been edited in from another [[later) performance. I didn't know that Flo was doing lines in the song that early.

Also, are there any other unissued performances by the other acts from the Paris date? And might they be released in the future?

Thanks.

You have a good ear, Reese. But, Flo's patter was from this performance. In fact, everything you hear is exactly the way it was. We only made a few edits where there were long spaces between lines with nothing happening. No laughter, just silence. Without being able to see what was happening on stage, the silence [[accompanied by tape hiss) just sounded uncomfortable. But, I promise...we cut nothing out except dead air.

I myself love "Nothing But Heartaches" with the instrumental break. I think they should have incorporated most of that instrumental break into the song. I think that is exactly what the song needed. Could have made it up the charts a little higher. Anyone else feel the same way?

love NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES. sounds great to me

There are more interesting remarks in this Nov. 7 thread:

Thread: "Nightflight" Tue Nov 8, 9P-12M ET:Andy and George and "More Hits...Expanded"!

After the show I ordered Supremes More Hits, Playlist+ [[many surprises, alternates and new mixes) and Meet The Supremes at http://www.amazon.de [[Germany).
    Quite cheap for all of us on the European mainland.

How do I know about Playlist+? George or Andy mentioned it in the radio show, so I went to Amazon.com to listen to the 30 sec. snippets.... and they were right.

Amazon.de also has Supremes Xmas Album, cheapo.

and they were right.
    They were right about what? I didn't get to hear the show...

i think many of these songs were alternates?

still waiting for Hipo to send me my lost booklet. i got the feeling from their email today that they dont believe me, so i did open the cd case again and look inside and found only one booklet in the right pocket....yep..my left pocket is empty.lol.

Andy,George,Harry, thanks for another great cd!

I haven't heard the whole set yet, but from disk one, I'm think the stereo version of He Holds His Own was mixed for this set. The stereo version of Whisper You Love Me Boy is the one from Greatest Hits Vol. 2. The More Hits stereo version faded earlier than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I myself love "Nothing But Heartaches" with the instrumental break. I think they should have incorporated most of that instrumental break into the song. I think that is exactly what the song needed. Could have made it up the charts a little higher. Anyone else feel the same way?
    Remember that in 1965, most AM radio stations would not play a song over three minutes. As Nikki Giovanni once said, we ate up the records like there was going to be a famine at the end of three minutes.

More Hits Out Today

Amazon says that mine has shipped. After listening to MJ's show last week w/Andy and Harry I am very excited. Love me some More Hits.

I never get tired of listening to that album. The only track I don't care for is Who Could Ever Doubt My Love

I'm still disappointed, all these many years later, that Nothing But Heartaches didn't hit No. 1. Maybe it was too teeny-bopper? I don't know but that rhythm track is superb. Ross laid a great vocal, sublime during the bridge then coming alive on the chorus. And I love the chanting Mary and Flo did, the simple "He brings..." and then belting out "I can't break away." Just chock full of juvenile angst. I never tired of this song

got mine today from Amazon...both booklets are there....now playing..The Only Time I'm Happy [[mono)

huntergettingcaptured Guest

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I never get tired of listening to that album. The only track I don't care for is Who Could Ever Doubt My Love

I'm still disappointed, all these many years later, that Nothing But Heartaches didn't hit No. 1. Maybe it was too teeny-bopper? I don't know but that rhythm track is superb. Ross laid a great vocal, sublime during the bridge then coming alive on the chorus. And I love the chanting Mary and Flo did, the simple "He brings..." and then belting out "I can't break away." Just chock full of juvenile angst. I never tired of this song

YES! My Motown Sibling! From the first time I heard "Nothing But Heartaches" I couldn't stop playing it! I was in my early teens in late 70's and we were out at a mall. I saw the blue "Greatest Hits" 2-Lp set and thought, "well, I like "Baby Love" and "Stop!" so there must be some pretty good stuff here." My parents bought that record for me which was cool- they knew I was getting into Motown and would get me quite a few albums.

"Nothing But Heartaches" was one of the tunes that got so much play, the grooves are several shades lighter on the album than on the other tracks! I absolutely, ABSOLUTELY got the biggest kick out of the backgrounds, especially when Mary and Flo sang "I can't break away." I wondered why one of the girls sounded like she was about 30 yards away from the mic and in an echo chamber- but I just thought it sounded cool. Little did I know that they usually put Flo 12 feet away from her mic!

That music track- wow! After that little da-da-da-DA-da-da, suddenly the whole band kicked in and it was like being bowled over by a Mack Truck! Diana's vocals really impressed me too. All these years later, it's one of those songs I never, EVER tire of listening to. The mono mix is even hotter- there is one part after the first verse where the cymbal crashes in after the drum fill and on the mono mix, it's about the most exciting moment on wax. Gives me chills every time!

So glad other people love this track. No matter how everyone tries to explain the reasons, I just can't fathom why this song stalled on the charts. To me, it's one of the strongest tracks Motown ever cut.

I ordered my copy - at long last - at www.amazon.de [[cause for Holland it's cheaper than to order in the US), but they sent me an e-mail today: delay until December 16... grumpf...

Much cheaper to order from Amazon uk: 8.99 pounds!
    Free shipping from 25 pounds!

just thinking,if motown did not use ASK ANY GIRL again on this album, of all th eout takes which song would you have used. my choice is OOWEE BABY. always liked this song,second choice, TOO HURT TO CRY

smark21 Guest
    Perhaps it's fortunate that NBH wasn't a number 1. It's never been overplayed like Baby Love and Stop and die hard fans can still enjoy it to this day.

I just ordered the CD The Ultimate Collection, because on this one all the Supremes hits [[DRATS) are presented in their original glorious 45 mono mixes. The intro to Nothing But Heartaches is ever so loud & strong! Much better than on any stereo mix, where the intro sounds muffled.
    I play this cd all day and very loud over my speakers, because it reminds me of the AM radio days, back in the sixties...

Just got my MORE HITS...expanded edition - what a beautiful looking and sounding package! The reproduced tour book is practically worth the price of admission alone...kudos to all involved! I certainly hope the expanded Supremes CDs keep coming...

I have to say this is one of the most beautifully packages Supremes sets I have ever heard. I thought I was going to go ape over the songs but it was the interviews and the Coca Cola Commericials that made this Supremes fan giddy! Love Love the instrumental break on Nothing but Heartaches! I didnt think there would be anything extremely special about this collection since I have heard most everything but this one I will listen to a lot. So many subtle treats like the alternate pic of Mary Wilson in the book, Flos stage patter [[I hear a slight edit) I hope that it was not silent as George mentioned because they didnt find Flo to be funny!, the timeline in the book is great as well and pics I have never seen.
    After listening to THIS collection one can see why the Supremes are so special. Their personalities come out in their songs and voices as well as the interviews. Ross really proves how she can interpret a song when you hear these alternate takes and Mary and Flo well they had impeccable harmonies and this collection is the one to get to prove what I am saying. I LOVE the Marvelettes and Martha and the Vandellas but when I hear this set and see this pics I know why the Supremes are so special. Although I think Mr Gordy made the right choice with Ross as lead the Supremes would not be the same with two other girls behind Diana. Even if you are not a fan you can sense there is something special here. HippoSelect thank you for a Happy Thanksgiving!

Update on missing booklets:

Should anyone find that they are missing the second booklet - the "mini-tour" book - please email me with a credible explanation and a mailing address, and I will have it sent to you.

Finally bought this package via amazon.de [[Germany).
    I now understand why on The Motortown Revue In Paris, only 3 Supremes attributions were present [[Stop!, Baby Love, Somewhere). Two other recordings made during this Paris concert were You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves Yoy and Shake, these are on More Hits Expanded.
    In the former the girls and the orchestra lose each other big time [[at 1:37). They perform in a-synch until 2:30, after the break. Unbelievable how the maitre d' [[the conductor) didnt pick up on the wrong timing of Diana around 1:37. The band should follow the leadsinger, not the other way around!

The package was complete, 2 booklets and all. I play it every other day, just LOVE this Nothing But Heartaches... could this new version take the top 1 noth after all..??? Hahahaha.
    Last edited by robbert; 01-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.

I agree about "Nothing But Heartaches". I never could understand why it didn't reach number 1, and started a thread in the old forum on the subject. The instrumental break in the previously-unreleased version takes the track to an even higher level, and I'm sure if it had been included in the release would have resulted in an improved chart position.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I agree about "Nothing But Heartaches". I never could understand why it didn't reach number 1, and started a thread in the old forum on the subject. The instrumental break in the previously-unreleased version takes the track to an even higher level, and I'm sure if it had been included in the release would have resulted in an improved chart position.
    In the liner notes to the Expanded edition of the Supreme's at the Copa it mentions that Berry Gordy decided during an appearance on the Ed Sullivan show that the group could only perform one song, and Berry decided to have them perform You're Nobody Til Somebody Love You and dropped their performance of Nothin But Heartaches, I wonder if they had performed the song if it would not have given the song that little extra push and exposure to take it at least into the Top 10...but I guess we will never know...

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    In the liner notes to the Expanded edition of the Supreme's at the Copa it mentions that Berry Gordy decided during an appearance on the Ed Sullivan show that the group could only perform one song, and Berry decided to have them perform You're Nobody Til Somebody Love You and dropped their performance of Nothin But Heartaches, I wonder if they had performed the song if it would not have given the song that little extra push and exposure to take it at least into the Top 10...but I guess we will never know...
    I don't have the notes in front of me. But I think NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES had already peaked by the time that Sullivan appearance took place. I believe the song dropped was I HEAR A SYMPHONY.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't have the notes in front of me. But I think NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES had already peaked by the time that Sullivan appearance took place. I believe the song dropped was I HEAR A SYMPHONY.
    No, it was the song NBH, its on the second page of the liner notes, last couple of sentance talk about dropping their current record [[NBH) from the Ed Sullivan show.

Mary's book Dreamgirl lists a Sullivan appearance for October 10, 1965 with "Symphony" and "Nobody" performed, although we know only "Nobody" was performed.

"Heartaches" last Billboard appearance was September 25, 1965 at #39 [[after 9 weeks). The Billboard chart debut for "Symphony" was October 30, 1965 at #34 [[the previous week it was at #101). So either song could have been scheduled for the Sullivan appearance.

The girls had recently done "Heartaches" on Hullabaloo September 13, 1965 just a month before their Sullivan appearance.

DFTMC website & Dreamgirl list "Symphony" as being released October 6, 1965. So the Sullivan date on the 10th could have been a way to introduce "Symphony". But a Hullabaloo appearance on October 18, just a week later, had the girls performing "Symphony". So maybe BG figured he could showcase the girls singing a standard on Sullivan, a family-oriented program, and then have them sing their latest single on the teen-oriented "Hullabaloo" eight days later. And, let's face it, "Heartaches" had already drawn its' last breath and resuscitation wasn't worth it.

Having two prime-time appearances scheduled so close together was rare. I think there were contract stipulations, back then, that tried to avoid this so that each program could gain the most from showcasing that particular talent. Maybe "Heartaches" was scheduled for Sullivan so that Hullabaloo could showcase "Symphony" a week later, thereby everyone was happy and there were no conflicts in programming.

The Reflections DVD has their "Symphony" performance on the Mike Douglas Show, a syndicated daytime variety talk-show, as November 3, 1965.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 05-26-2012 at 11:43 AM.