[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    That makes sense.

skool, I apologize if I was a little snarky this morning; what I meant to say was, like the troubles Gladys Horton had, I'm sure it's much cheaper to hire three "unknowns" singing the hits of the Marvelettes versus hiring Gladys. I would assume the same is for Mary. This, in turn, takes away bookings. I have no idea what Mary charges in concert, but I'd bet it's quite a bit more than Shantel Baker. And if she's contiually allowed to tote herself as a "former Supreme", does anyone but a "fan" know the difference? It's all about the image and the song. Unfortunatley, Shantel can't nail down either.

Milven; I couldn't agree with you more. The times I've seen Diana in concert, she's done one or two full-versions of Supremes hits, then typically a medley or two. Personally, I'd like to see her expand on the Supremes hits; while she's had anamazing solo career, I'd almost bet that the majority of her audience would agree with me.

And yes, I'd like to see Mary do just the opposite; maybe a Supreme hit or two and a medley or two, but she shines when she does a ballad or something a little better suited for her voice. I'd love to see her bring back "Red Hot" to her show. Being her "signature hit" I have no idea why she doesn't include it.

My real question is: who IS Shantel? Was she ever a back-up for Mary and is using the Kaaaaaaaaren route? Or was she a singer with Kaaaaaaaaaren, and because so, thinks that makes her a Supreme?

Lastly, to her credit, I don't know that Mary has much control over HOW she is billed; I've seen it as Mary Wilson OF the Supremes, Mary Wilson AND the Supremes, The Supremes' Mary Wilson, Mary Wilson Formerly of the Supremes and simply, Mary Wilson.

No problemo. I'm honestly torn on the issue. I have no problems with "tribute" groups. I do have a problem with lying. This chick is crazy. Specifically speaking about Mary/Supremes. I don't see why she thinks she is competing with the likes of Shantel- or why she would even be worried about her.

I don't know either, unless it's something to do with the "legacy". I won't even touch that discussion, LOL.

Obviously Shantel is no competition for Mary. A Wal-Mart parking lot? How common.

You know, I've been thinking of how we've all enjoyed making fun of Shantel Baker, even coming up with a 100+ song track list for the "Forever, Shantel" box set, and it occurred to me that perhaps we ought to simply respect her as a black woman. Follow me here for a second....If the true legacy of The Supremes, and Diana and Mary individually, was that it elevated the respect accorded Black women in American society by creating a refined, classy, elegant, and divinely feminine image with music to match, it's sad that Shantel seems to go against that grain by not possessing those same qualities. So then, we all go make fun of her appearance, ridiculous claims, less-than-stellar voice, and "ghetto" image. But what if Shantel honestly thinks she is paying sincere tribute to the Supreme ladies who inspired her? She ain't no Supreme, but perhaps she doesn't deserve our ridicule [[of which I am guilty as well).

I dunno. What do you all think?

Here in the UK we know the truth about Shantel. It is 42 years ago to the day that her first single was rush released causing a blip in the sequencing in the TMG series. In order that the version of "Someday We'll Be Together" with Shantel on lead could be issued before the Diana Ross version, the immediately preceding single of Edwin Starr and Blinky's "Oh How Happy" was rapidly withdrawn from issue and replaced with the Shantel rush release. In the event, "Oh How Happy" was issued a short time after but we know why that was done. How fitting too that Shantel should be singing "Someday We'll Be Together" with The Supremes. It is now one of the rarest releases on Uk TMG.

Name:  TMG720 Shantel Baker 2.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  73.5 KB

That is an amazing piece of work mysterysinger. And I love the accompanying story with some truth sprinkled in. I read your post and my mouth opened with amazement. You had me thinking for a minute, "This must be real. It's not April Fool's Day!!". I guess we better stop picking on Shantel.
    SUPERB

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarchilehoneybaby View Post
    You know, I've been thinking of how we've all enjoyed making fun of Shantel Baker, even coming up with a 100+ song track list for the "Forever, Shantel" box set, and it occurred to me that perhaps we ought to simply respect her as a black woman. Follow me here for a second....If the true legacy of The Supremes, and Diana and Mary individually, was that it elevated the respect accorded Black women in American society by creating a refined, classy, elegant, and divinely feminine image with music to match, it's sad that Shantel seems to go against that grain by not possessing those same qualities. So then, we all go make fun of her appearance, ridiculous claims, less-than-stellar voice, and "ghetto" image. But what if Shantel honestly thinks she is paying sincere tribute to the Supreme ladies who inspired her? She ain't no Supreme, but perhaps she doesn't deserve our ridicule [[of which I am guilty as well).

I dunno. What do you all think?
    If Shantal wasn't making claims about being a legit Supreme, I don't think she would be subjected to such ridicule. But by making such claims in the marketing of her act [[which I suspect only the gullible and naive and the cheap book) she's a fair target.

That being said, she's no competition for Mary or The FLOS as I suspect neither of them would lower their asking price to Shantal's low level [[I'm presuming she can be booked cheap).

The main reason why Mary is not getting as many bookings in the US as she did 20 years ago is because the oldies market has moved on to focussing on 80's acts. Time marches on.

I wasn't that fond of her Supremes work - she was much better in The Ronettes and later in The Three Degrees. She really came into her own with Ian Levine's Motorcity project.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    It always causes trouble when we do the Diana.Mary comparisons. But, Diana books and bills herself as Diana Ross. She has established herself as Diana Ross. [[And she had a great head start doing this when the name of the group was changed to include her name. When her name is said, people automatically think of the Supremes and she doesn't have to say it) Mary continues to bill herself in some way as associated with the Supremes and therefore has to compete for bookings with fake parking lot Supremes and even other former legitimate Supremes like Sherrie and Lynda. I think it is more of a bread and butter issue than a control issue.

Having seen both Mary and Diana many times, I enjoy both their shows individually and try not to compare them. I always wished that Diana would devote more concert time to her Supremes songs. [[She does now, thankfully) And I always wished that Mary would devote less time to her Supremes' songs. Her UP CLOSE show is great cabaret and shows Mary's talent her best with just one Supreme song. She is one of the few female singers whose voice has gotten better with age. It may be her confidence. She has been referred to as a background singer for so long, she was believing it.
    Mary's voice has gotten even better with age. She sounds amazing live and in concert. Mary Wilson does not compete with these tribute acts and fake Supremes acts. She is on an entirely different level.

Her main concern is that they cheapen and tarnish the image and legacy of The Supremes.

I love Mary's version of "Here's To Life"! Not as much as Shirley Horn's, mind you, but much. It seems Mary has come to understand the songs that her unique voice shines the brightest on, which is usually ballads and jazz.