[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Interview with Shantel Baker of The Supremes

Shantel talks about replacing Diana Ross, her audition for The Supremes, the first time someone asked for her autograph and how her group is still in contact with Motown:

http://www.lmhmag.com/Shatel%20Baker...Lmh%20Mag.html

Last edited by carlo; 11-06-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Apparently she's also good friends with Chaka Khan. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8GD2SrpIU4

Dear Jesus...................
    Last edited by blueskies; 11-06-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Well, watching that was kind of horrible.

I guess I am missing something. Was she ever considered as a replacement for Diana in the Supremes? Did she ever sing with THE Supremes? And the hit record Love Attack that she was talking about in the interview. The one that I knew and loved in the seventies was by Ferrara.

There was a song called Love Attack Shantelle in the eighties. Was that supposed to be her?

This woman must be senile.

I'm sick of these imposter groups ruining our great oldies. I might as well start my own traveling show. I could
    advertise myself as "The guy who had a friend who worked with the cousin of a politician who once shook hands
    with the uncle of a lady who married and then divorced the third cousin of a store-manager from Indianapolis who
    once drove past the house of Marvin Gaye" - which would qualify me to sing Supremes songs with Carolyn Crawford.

Lord, please forgive these people as they know not what they do.

pay no mind...and no money

Well I guess they are all over; quite amazing what she thinks her role in this was; I wonder if Berry Gordy or Diana Ross ever heard of her. I hope this is not another lady that Pedro gave some audition to.

I normally dont comment on threads regarding imposter groups but this is the FIRST time I have ever heard one of them say something like this THEN she mentions Freda Payne!!! This is hilarious I almost busted a gut listening to this. She talks to Motown....LOL I hope Ms Wilson doesnt see this. At least she calls it the Supremes Revue but her mind is telling her that she was or is a Supreme.

Here is Shantel Baker, introduced as the most fantastic of all the Motown singers...performing at Mamushka:

Mamushka is one jammin joint!

Here is an article from 2002. It mentions that Diana's 2000 Supreme tour failed and that Shantelle will be touring with Diana in Europe with a Supremes tour. What a crock of shit.

NILES, Ohio
    Promotion's name dispute creates a Supreme mess

By Joe Pinchot
    Herald Staff Writer

A Web site promotion announced "The Supremes 40th Anniversary featuring Shantel Baker."

Pat Benti had one question about the promotion: "Shantel who?"

"I've never heard of this woman," said Benti, executive director of Friends Against Musical Exploitation of Artists Inc.

Mary Wilson, one of the three original Supremes, is a co-founder and vice president of FAME and alerted Benti to the Shantel Baker version, which is set to perform March 31 at McMenamy's in Niles, Ohio.

FAME, based in Revere, Mass., is a non-profit organization formed in 1998 to help current and former recording artists battle the loss or misuse of their names by counterfeit groups or individuals.

The Supremes promotion goes on to say, "They represent the best in the Motown sound ... producing six consecutive Number 1 songs, not even topped by the Beatles! Featuring Shantel Baker they will take you back to 'Where Did Our Love Go' and 'Come See About Me.'"

"Talk about misleading the public," Benti said. "To think that these three women recorded those hits and had those No. 1 songs is misleading."

Ms. Wilson, in a visit to Sharon some years ago, lamented that there are several groups calling themselves the Supremes, but who feature women who never sang with the group in any of the forms that made the Supremes the biggest girl group of the '60s and early '70s, and launched the solo career of Diana Ross.

"A lot of promoters don't care about the history of a group," Benti said. "They care about making a dollar."

The Supremes' problem is compounded because Ms. Wilson does not own the group's name. Benti said he believes the Motown record label owns the name. Ms. Wilson often bills herself as Mary Wilson of the Supremes.

Howard Harlib, manager of the Shantel Baker-led group, said Motown has allowed him to use the Supremes' name.

He added that Ms. Baker will be performing with Ms. Ross in a summer European tour of the Supremes.

Ms. Ross' American tour of the Supremes two years ago failed part way through. Ms. Wilson did not participate after failing to reach a contractual agreement.

Joe DiRusso, the promoter of the Niles show, at first denied that the promotion was misleading.

"Everyone knows that they're a phony group," said the president of J.B. Promotions Inc., Wickliffe, Ohio. "It's like a tribute to the Supremes. Everyone in their right mind knows they're not the Supremes."

But, later, DiRusso acknowledged the promotion "probably" is misleading.

He said he followed the advice of Harlib.

"He said, as long as I put '40th anniversary' of the Supremes, we're OK," DiRusso said. "I didn't realize there was anything wrong."

The negative response to the group has led DiRusso to say that Harlib "sounds like a phony," and noted that his telephone had been disconnected, but is since back up.

DiRusso has canceled three shows by the group in the Cleveland area, but cannot cancel the Niles show because of a contractual obligation. He said he spoke to Ms. Wilson, but she did not accuse him of misleading the public and agreed to pass on information about her group when it comes through town.

A message left for Ms. Wilson was not returned.

Harlib said he had worked with Ms. Wilson in the past, but no longer does.

DiRusso, who has regional shows coming up featuring Pat Boone, the Kingston Trio, the Osmond Brothers and Ray Price, said he pulled the Web page.

"Not only are the original fans getting ripped off, but so are the diehard fans," said Benti.

But according to DiRusso, few people will get ripped off by the Shantel Baker-led group in Niles. Ticket sales have been poor, he said.

How could anyone be fooled by this clown..She doesn't even know lyrics.......even worse melody.....JOKE!

It is laughable. I watched the interview again and she did tell the interviewer that she had a hit record called Love Attack by Shantelle. First, if you listen to the song above, you'll notice it is an electronic type song, not a singer's song. Second, I think the group may have been named for Steve Hantelle, definitely not named for Shantel Baker. There are a lot of groups with a Shantelle sounding name. Maybe she will also take credit for singing the Chantels hit MAYBE.

But if u scroll down you can see she also bills herself as The New Supremes. Quite a gal. Id think Motown might finally wanna do somethin about this one.

And it also notes on youtube that Ms Shantalie was one of the original background singers for the Supremes--its so good to learn these new things!

Shantel Baker has the tendency to forget most of the lyrics. In place of those forgotten lyrics, she likes to repeat the same word over and over until the song ends. An example would be her 6-minute "Wait" version of "You Can't Hurry Love" [[which used to be on youtube) or her "Baby" version of "Where Did Our Love Go."

Motown doesn't care about this stuff; it's basically a Supremes Revue billing with a bunch of half truths and lies attached to someone who doesn't know the history nearly as well as the fans on SD; but she probably manages to sell 500 more real Supremes CDS per year as a result of her shows; so, it's a bit of a plus to Motown.

Plus you could run around til you are blue in the face chasing all these people, spending money and your life; and another one will crop up somewhere else.

But I suppose it could potentially take work away from Mary Wilson, the FLOS, and then all those other kinds of Supreme entities.........the Raglands and Burkhalters and whatever.

smark21 Guest
    You can tell the "crowd" is overjoyed by her performance in that clip at that bar, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    You can tell the "crowd" is overjoyed by her performance in that clip at that bar, lol!
    Yea, and with that "Standing Room Only" crowd how could they not be thrilled and overjoyed! As Betty Davis so aptly put it....what a dump!

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    ....As Bette Davis so aptly put it....what a dump!
    My exact thoughts. And I don't think she would have any kind words for Shantelle either.

If you make it in Mamushka you can make it anywhere--as her bio says she is a rising star!

http://www.urbandaddy.com/mia/nightl..._Miami_MIA_Bar

Mamushka's claims 'cheap beer'.....I might add.....'cheap entertainment' to boot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhEzqnTjf_E

Apparently, Shantel is a woman of many incarnations!

I just found Shantel Baker & the Supremes performing the 6 minute "Wait" version of "You Can't Hurry Love." Please enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqz2VHgCR6E

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I just found Shantel Baker & the Supremes performing the 6 minute "Wait" version of "You Can't Hurry Love." Please enjoy!

bel·low

verb \ˈbe-[[ˌ)lō\

intransitive verb
    : to make the loud deep hollow sound characteristic of a bull

http://coconutgrovelive.blogspot.com...-and-song.html "Sadly" youtube froze during Santalie's wait wait wait part-did she really go on for 6 mins?? Im also disappointed Brad did not enlighten us on her incrdible solo career--she certainly continues her rise to the top. Little did we know the extent of her hits and how she is responsible for that nationally know dance craze "the Glide"!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,in all my hooch hullucinations[and there are many]could i ever come up with this much stuff,where does this stuff come from...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Obviously arr&bee you have work to do/history to learn.

LOL. Nobody with good sense could take this woman seriously.

This is one of the oddest interviews I've ever seen. Actually, it reads as though it's written in some parallel universe, a place which most of us have never visited.

I feel sorry for the young lady who did the interview, gushing & all of that because her lack of knowledge allowed her to be played for a fool & it drums home just how little many so-called "legitimate" media people knows about our musical history.

FREDA PAYNE WAS A SUPREME? Since she went there, how did she possibly miss out on the Hank Ballard connection to Flo, you know, last names & all?

How could any aspiring reporter/interviewer allow some woman to tell him/her that this woman was one of those whom replaced Diana Ross & not at least do his/her homework before co-signing this obvious load of crap?

Major screw-up...MAJOR!!!

I wasn't able to log-in last night, but I did do a little homework, some of which some of you have beaten me to. Nevertheless, not wanting that little research to go to waste, here's a bit of what I found. I stopped there because I couldn't stomach reading anymore nonsense, as it's a complete insult to anyone who has a brain...

Shantel Who???
    http://www2.sharonherald.com/localne...ln032102i.html

http://coconutgrovelive.blogspot.com...-and-song.html

http://the50sand60smusic.com/pages.php?id=MTU=\

Tangela Flowers moonlighting
    http://www.communitynewspapers.com/s...80%99-concert/

One of the ladies, Pearlie Harris recorded as Pearl Dowdell in the '70s
    It's All Over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV9UYdUViBA
    Good Things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QViJ4...eature=related

These ladies were discussed here back in June 2010 & were not [[pardon the pun) Supremely received, to say the least!
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/2/212167.html?1278534399

Do you yahoo...this one from 2002...
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group.../messages/1537
    Last edited by juicefree20; 11-07-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Seriously, those videos & that canned applause is a serious embarrassment & if I had any advice for anyone seriously seeking to push this, I have just one phrase that says so much...

AUTOTUNE.

Lots of it!

On so many levels this is just sad & I thank God that I never wanted to be someone so badly that I would reduce myself to something of this sort, including lying & self-delusion.

Anyone that truly has convinced themselves not only that they could say that they were one of the girls who "replaced" Diana Ross & have anyone believe it, but that also that each of the "7 women" who were Supremes, received permission to use the name...well, that rather speaks for itself.

Especially when 9 years ago, that individual basically received a Cease And Desist" order regarding their abuse of the name of the group.

She'd look much better & more credible were she simply to say that she admires the group & is simply paying homage to them. But this shit here is simply downright crazy & all that's missing from that interview & video clip is for Jack Nicholson to come flying over that nest.

http://the50sand60smusic.com/pages.php?id=MjE=

You think Shantel and her group sound 'iffy'....you gotta get a load of The Marvelette's....check out "Don't Mess With Bill"...esp. the background singers....Yeow! I'm off to take a Tylenol.

I am embarrassed that this crap is in Florida.I assume thats where that Mamuska dump is.Maybe that was her Halloween outfit & maybe she is tricking these poor people who have just arrived from the Eastern Bloc.

Blueskies,

I can only imagine.

But to be perfectly honest about it, after all of the publicity surronding The Supremes for decades, there's just no way that any music fan with a brain should be fooled, nor duped by this.

Anyone who falls for this, deserves whatever they get because by now, EVERYONE over the age of 20 should know whom The Supremes are. Anyone who's watched the movie "Dreamgirls"has heard about the REAL Supremes, so older folks have absolutely ZERO excuse!

Unless they were hanging out with Rip Van Winkle for the past 35 years!

I almost feel sorry for this chick. It is clear that she is suffering the after effects of a bad acid trip!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I normally dont comment on threads regarding imposter groups but this is the FIRST time I have ever heard one of them say something like this THEN she mentions Freda Payne!!! This is hilarious I almost busted a gut listening to this. She talks to Motown....LOL I hope Ms Wilson doesnt see this. At least she calls it the Supremes Revue but her mind is telling her that she was or is a Supreme.
    Acid trip!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Mamushka is one jammin joint!
    Carlo, where is that located?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Here is an article from 2002. It mentions that Diana's 2000 Supreme tour failed and that Shantelle will be touring with Diana in Europe with a Supremes tour. What a crock of shit.

NILES, Ohio
    Promotion's name dispute creates a Supreme mess

By Joe Pinchot
    Herald Staff Writer

A Web site promotion announced "The Supremes 40th Anniversary featuring Shantel Baker."

Pat Benti had one question about the promotion: "Shantel who?"

"I've never heard of this woman," said Benti, executive director of Friends Against Musical Exploitation of Artists Inc.

Mary Wilson, one of the three original Supremes, is a co-founder and vice president of FAME and alerted Benti to the Shantel Baker version, which is set to perform March 31 at McMenamy's in Niles, Ohio.

FAME, based in Revere, Mass., is a non-profit organization formed in 1998 to help current and former recording artists battle the loss or misuse of their names by counterfeit groups or individuals.

The Supremes promotion goes on to say, "They represent the best in the Motown sound ... producing six consecutive Number 1 songs, not even topped by the Beatles! Featuring Shantel Baker they will take you back to 'Where Did Our Love Go' and 'Come See About Me.'"

"Talk about misleading the public," Benti said. "To think that these three women recorded those hits and had those No. 1 songs is misleading."

Ms. Wilson, in a visit to Sharon some years ago, lamented that there are several groups calling themselves the Supremes, but who feature women who never sang with the group in any of the forms that made the Supremes the biggest girl group of the '60s and early '70s, and launched the solo career of Diana Ross.

"A lot of promoters don't care about the history of a group," Benti said. "They care about making a dollar."

The Supremes' problem is compounded because Ms. Wilson does not own the group's name. Benti said he believes the Motown record label owns the name. Ms. Wilson often bills herself as Mary Wilson of the Supremes.

Howard Harlib, manager of the Shantel Baker-led group, said Motown has allowed him to use the Supremes' name.

He added that Ms. Baker will be performing with Ms. Ross in a summer European tour of the Supremes.

Ms. Ross' American tour of the Supremes two years ago failed part way through. Ms. Wilson did not participate after failing to reach a contractual agreement.

Joe DiRusso, the promoter of the Niles show, at first denied that the promotion was misleading.

"Everyone knows that they're a phony group," said the president of J.B. Promotions Inc., Wickliffe, Ohio. "It's like a tribute to the Supremes. Everyone in their right mind knows they're not the Supremes."

But, later, DiRusso acknowledged the promotion "probably" is misleading.

He said he followed the advice of Harlib.

"He said, as long as I put '40th anniversary' of the Supremes, we're OK," DiRusso said. "I didn't realize there was anything wrong."

The negative response to the group has led DiRusso to say that Harlib "sounds like a phony," and noted that his telephone had been disconnected, but is since back up.

DiRusso has canceled three shows by the group in the Cleveland area, but cannot cancel the Niles show because of a contractual obligation. He said he spoke to Ms. Wilson, but she did not accuse him of misleading the public and agreed to pass on information about her group when it comes through town.

A message left for Ms. Wilson was not returned.

Harlib said he had worked with Ms. Wilson in the past, but no longer does.

DiRusso, who has regional shows coming up featuring Pat Boone, the Kingston Trio, the Osmond Brothers and Ray Price, said he pulled the Web page.

"Not only are the original fans getting ripped off, but so are the diehard fans," said Benti.

But according to DiRusso, few people will get ripped off by the Shantel Baker-led group in Niles. Ticket sales have been poor, he said.

I remember this story and how it developed!

Did you see the customers takin her pic Juice-they may be fooled.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Motown doesn't care about this stuff; it's basically a Supremes Revue billing with a bunch of half truths and lies attached to someone who doesn't know the history nearly as well as the fans on SD; but she probably manages to sell 500 more real Supremes CDS per year as a result of her shows; so, it's a bit of a plus to Motown.

Plus you could run around til you are blue in the face chasing all these people, spending money and your life; and another one will crop up somewhere else.

But I suppose it could potentially take work away from Mary Wilson, the FLOS, and then all those other kinds of Supreme entities.........the Raglands and Burkhalters and whatever.

You can exclude Mary Wilson from you list. She doesn't do that type of work.....

smark21 Guest

You gotta love her emphatic "style" of singing, lol!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    This is one of the oddest interviews I've ever seen. Actually, it reads as though it's written in some parallel universe, a place which most of us have never visited.

I feel sorry for the young lady who did the interview, gushing & all of that because her lack of knowledge allowed her to be played for a fool & it drums home just how little many so-called "legitimate" media people knows about our musical history.

FREDA PAYNE WAS A SUPREME? Since she went there, how did she possibly miss out on the Hank Ballard connection to Flo, you know, last names & all?

How could any aspiring reporter/interviewer allow some woman to tell him/her that this woman was one of those whom replaced Diana Ross & not at least do his/her homework before co-signing this obvious load of crap?

Major screw-up...MAJOR!!!

I wasn't able to log-in last night, but I did do a little homework, some of which some of you have beaten me to. Nevertheless, not wanting that little research to go to waste, here's a bit of what I found. I stopped there because I couldn't stomach reading anymore nonsense, as it's a complete insult to anyone who has a brain...

Shantel Who???
    http://www2.sharonherald.com/localne...ln032102i.html

http://coconutgrovelive.blogspot.com...-and-song.html

http://the50sand60smusic.com/pages.php?id=MTU=\

Tangela Flowers moonlighting
    http://www.communitynewspapers.com/s...80%99-concert/

One of the ladies, Pearlie Harris recorded as Pearl Dowdell in the '70s
    It's All Over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV9UYdUViBA
    Good Things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QViJ4...eature=related

These ladies were discussed here back in June 2010 & were not [[pardon the pun) Supremely received, to say the least!
    http://faac.us/adf/messages/2/212167.html?1278534399

Do you yahoo...this one from 2002...
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group.../messages/1537
    I remember back on Yahoo in 2002 the big hulaboloo against Shantal Baker playing some gig in Ohio billed as The Supremes. Members from quite a few groups sent emails to the venue.

Isn't Shantel Baker Anita Baker's sister??

I remember the internet protest in Yahoo groups when this woman was making the circuit. Sad state of affairs. She could sing gospel though her voice is not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Isn't Shantel Baker Anita Baker's sister??
    I thought she was Josephine's daughter

In that case she only could be Josephine's adopted daughter. Hahahahaha!

she had 12 number one's with the Supremes in the 60's ; don't you remember her platinum album BAKERS DOZEN?

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    In that case she only could be Josephine's adopted daughter. Hahahahaha!
    lol. We shouldn't give her any ideas. She might read this and start telling people she's Josephine Baker's long-lost daughter.