[REMOVE ADS]

The Elgins LP, mono and stereo mixes

I had presumed that The Elgins' Motown Anthology included their Darling Baby LP all in stereo, but going through it today I noticed that some are listed as being in stereo, some aren't specified as to whether they appear in mono or stereo [[I myself can't hardly tell the difference, but it sounds like stereo to me). According to the liner notes all the album songs were first released on V.I.P.-VS400, i.e. the stereo version of the LP. Does that mean that

1) all album songs appearing on the Motown Anthology appear in stereo, but some were attached with a stereo tag in the liner notes and some were not [[for example, all songs that have a stereo tag attached appear elsewhere on the compilation in mono mixes)

2) the album songs that aren't specified as either mono or stereo on the Motown Anthology are mono mixes and were mono mixes on the original stereo LP too? In other words, some songs on the album have never appeared or never existed in stereo?

3) the compilers of the Motown Anthology picked and chose their favorite mixes from either the mono or the stereo LP to be on the anthology?

The descriptions of the unreleased songs makes me confused as well. Some songs are listed as being in mono, others aren't specified as to whether they're in mono or not. But according to DFTMC all unreleased songs on the anthology are in mono. Does that mean that the songs are mono on the anthology have a sister, stereo mix in the vaults, while the songs not specified have not?
    Last edited by mr_postman; 11-04-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_postman View Post
    I had presumed that The Elgins' Motown Anthology included their Darling Baby LP all in stereo, but going through it today I noticed that some are listed as being in stereo, some aren't specified as to whether they appear in mono or stereo [[I myself can't hardly tell the difference, but it sounds like stereo to me). According to the liner notes all the album songs were first released on V.I.P.-VS400, i.e. the stereo version of the LP.
    This is one of those trophy CDs that is part of a reference library and hasn't come out to play since purchase. The original LP sits in the collection, compliments of the Columbia Record. Each of the 12 cuts from the vinyl are in true stereo.