[REMOVE ADS]

Ashlee Simpson engaged to Evan Ross!

Still can't get past this. Hopefully she'll take a few lessons in performance from her [[future) mother-in-law.

Um, what was that all about?

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Um, what was that all about?
    She was busted for lipsynching on Saturday Night Live some years back. It pretty much destroyed her music career as she became a joke [[not that she was taken all that seriously before then, but she sold well and was considered sort of a rocker and edgier than her sister). When the track malfunctioned on SNL, she panicked, did a hoe down type jig and left the stage. She also tried an acting career a few years ago, starring in the reboot of Melrose Place, but she received terrible notices and that pretty much ended her acting career. At this point she's pretty much "famous" for being famous and not for any particular talent.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    At this point she's pretty much "famous" for being famous and not for any particular talent.
    Isn't that about half of the "celebrities" today?

She looks a lot older than him. Is she?

I think an article says he's 25 and she's 29. She's just been around a block or two.

Amazing the amount of coverage this is getting and they can't call him Evan; instead it's always "Diana Ross's son"; the kids must get tired of that.

It still happens after he's been in a dozen movies, including The Hunger Games. Lame.

I think an article says he's 25 and she's 29. She's just been around a block or two.

Amazing the amount of coverage this is getting and they can't call him Evan; instead it's always "Diana Ross's son"; the kids must get tired of that.

It still happens after he's been in a dozen movies, including The Hunger Games. Lame.
    Well, I wish them the best of luck, even though it seems a bit rushed to me but if they are happy together, then who cares what anyone else thinks???? I have read some post insisting that Ashlee might be pregnant so who knows?

Can someone remind me again why Evan changed his father's surname "Naess" to his mother's name "Ross"???, I seem to remember that this happened after Arne died.
    I think he could have called himself "Evan Ross Naess", instead of just Evan Ross.
    Last edited by David J; 01-15-2014 at 02:57 AM.

smark21 Guest

HE's yet to appear in a Hunger Games movie. He's been cast for parts 3 and 4, which are in production/preparation. So far he really hasn't carved out a distinct identify of his own, unlike his fiancé or his sister Tracee. BTW, his album was supposed to come out last September, but it never did. They were making a big fuss about it when he opened for his mother at Hollywood Bowl. Perhaps his lackluster performance that night caused the album to be shelved, or he decided that he has no business trying to be a pop star?

Lulu Guest
    Really enjoyed Evan's song "Yes Me" and his performances in "Mooz-lum", "Life Support" and "Greta"...methinks he does have business being a pop star!

I thought that of the Ross children, in terms of celebrity or stardom, Evan had done the best ~ better than Tracee. But that was just my thought. And it is only one measurement and not necessarily a good one.

Maybe Evan is trying to make a Mary Wilson style album ~ 10 years in the making. Maybe he is going to be an actor, not singer.

Quote Originally Posted by David J View Post
    ...Can someone remind me again why Evan changed his father's surname "Naess" to his mother's name "Ross"???,
    All her children dropped their father's name in favor of the Ross name - except Ross. I guess he didn't want to be known as Ross Ross.

HE's yet to appear in a Hunger Games movie. He's been cast for parts 3 and 4, which are in production/preparation. So far he really hasn't carved out a distinct identify of his own, unlike his fiancé or his sister Tracee. BTW, his album was supposed to come out last September, but it never did. They were making a big fuss about it when he opened for his mother at Hollywood Bowl. Perhaps his lackluster performance that night caused the album to be shelved, or he decided that he has no business trying to be a pop star?
    It took a LOT of CHUTZPAH to highjack a sold out audience at The Hollywood Bowl, especially one that was there to specifically enjoy HIS OWN MOTHER performing , leaving them no choice but to endure his [[unearned) indulgences under the guise of promoting his "new album due out in October." The release date has long come and gone [[not that I think many in attendance that night noticed). He seemed very Michael Jackson like , including performing a MJ song in his set , and not in a good way.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    It took a LOT of CHUTZPAH to highjack a sold out audience at The Hollywood Bowl, especially one that was there to specifically enjoy HIS OWN MOTHER performing , leaving them no choice but to endure his [[unearned) indulgences under the guise of promoting his "new album due out in October." The release date has long come and gone [[not that I think many in attendance that night noticed). He seemed very Michael Jackson like , including performing a MJ song in his set , and not in a good way.
    I wouldn't call Evan opening for his mother [[and Rhonda as well, plus Tracee emceeing) at Hollywood Bowl chutzpah. I'd call it nepotism.

I was gonna bitch you all out for hatin on that boy. BUT... I saw the video, and he is pretty BAD! He needs to stick to acting, he was amazing playing that mentally retarded boy in "Pride"

I wouldn't call Evan opening for his mother [[and Rhonda as well, plus Tracee emceeing) at Hollywood Bowl chutzpah. I'd call it nepotism.
    no , I think when someone has the gall to foist a performance of them self onto a sold-out crowd at The Hollywood Bowl, a crowd that in no way came there to see you , especially at a point in your own musical career that amounts to zilch , that's chutzpah personified . Never mind the disrespect to find it OK to do so on the back of one's own mother's hard and well earned draw power.

supremester Guest
    I think yall hatin' on him for this - his stage debut - is ill. Lots of stars let their kids open for them or join them onstage. Judy, Babs, Dionne, Gladys, Aretha, Lucille Ball it can go on forever. What's the big deal? Maybe he was nervous. I nearly shit my pants the first time in front of an audience - and it was only a thousand in high school. Had it been a memorizing performance, gall, disrespect and chutzpah would not be in this thread. It clearly is nepotism - so what? The first time i saw Camel Toe Warwick[[e), she came out in her street clothes, looked over her downstage shoulder at us, sighed and said we were in luck because she had an opening act: her son - who proceeded to do 30 minutes. He's fine, but 10 or 15 tops would have sufficed. I didn't hear anyone crabbing about it, and I don't know that anyone at The Bowl that night was crabbing - other than maybe those who didn't enjoy him. A beautiful, warm August night at The Bowl - there are worse things than having to deal with being foisted upon for ten or fifteen minutes.
    Last edited by supremester; 01-25-2014 at 05:35 AM.

I didn't think Mr Ross sounded that bad. I do think he would be well advised to search for better material. The song was non descript and there wasn't a "hook" to be found anywhere..

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    no , I think when someone has the gall to foist a performance of them self onto a sold-out crowd at The Hollywood Bowl, a crowd that in no way came there to see you , especially at a point in your own musical career that amounts to zilch , that's chutzpah personified . Never mind the disrespect to find it OK to do so on the back of one's own mother's hard and well earned draw power.
    I honestly don't understand why it bothers some people or why they resent the fact the any of diana's kids uses her name or want to try and make it in the showbiz world, if diana hasn't got a problem of any of her kids using her name, then why should it bother other people???

Quote Originally Posted by David J View Post
    I honestly don't understand why it bothers some people or why they resent the fact the any of diana's kids uses her name or want to try and make it in the showbiz world, if diana hasn't got a problem of any of her kids using her name, then why should it bother other people???
    Because they were not born with the last name of Ross, so there is a perception that trading on your parents success is a tacky thing to do, unless you TRULY are talented enough to deserve it, such as Whitney, or Natalie Cole... them two never got grief for their famous parents because they had the GOODS. Now, Evan DOES have the goods in the acting department, and nobody ever threw shade at him for his acting performances. that's where his gift lies, and he needs to stay there. Tracee ain't so bad, because she does use her father's name in a hyphenated way... and Rhonda, I can understand, because Bob wasn't her biological father. But the girl that looks like an Afghan hound? I think her using the last name "Ross" is a slap in the face of her father. Many people gain great respect for NOT trading on famous realtives' names.. like Crystal Gayle, or Lacosta Tucker [[Who only went by her first name). Those kids don't need to work, anyway... Diana got enough loot to support them all for the rest of their lives, they should let someone else have those jobs and do charity work.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 01-25-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Because they were not born with the last name of Ross, so there is a perception that trading on your parents success is a tacky thing to do, unless you TRULY are talented enough to deserve it, such as Whitney, or Natalie Cole... them two never got grief for their famous parents because they had the GOODS. Now, Evan DOES have the goods in the acting department, and nobody ever threw shade at him for his acting performances. that's where his gift lies, and he needs to stay there. Tracee ain't so bad, because she does use her father's name in a hyphenated way... and Rhonda, I can understand, because Bob wasn't her biological father. But the girl that looks like an Afghan hound? I think her using the last name "Ross" is a slap in the face of her father. Many people gain great respect for NOT trading on famous realtives' names.. like Crystal Gayle, or Lacosta Tucker [[Who only went by her first name). Those kids don't need to work, anyway... Diana got enough loot to support them all for the rest of their lives, they should let someone else have those jobs and do charity work.
    I have thought that Chudney's Dad might be a little hurt too. I would be but that is just guy stuff.

I don't think anyone much gives two hoots about this name stuff; and if the family is good with it all, it's only their business.

Love the line about the kids should only do charity work and let someone else have the jobs. That would never fly with Diana Ross's work ethic; she will never let go of what she learned as a kid.

Sadly, if some of Diana's sidekicks had worked a little bit harder and partied a little bit less, they'd be happier today and life would be easier and of course, they know it now too.

smark21 Guest
    Best case scenario about Diana's kids [[except Ross) using Ross as their last name: The family is rejecting sexist, patriarchial norms when it comes to names for a matriarchial model.

Worst case scenario: Mom is a control freak narcissist who demands the kids use her last name [[except for Ross) if they want to stay in her good graces.

I was at Hollywood Bowl and had no problem with opening acts for Diana Ross. It's her show and she and the show promoters can book who they want as opening acts. It gives the crowd a full show and their money's worth. And sometimes an opening act can be a revelation. I was curious to see and hear Rhonda, the a capella act and Evan. But in the end, on the a capella act was truly worthy. Rhonda is a good singer, but her material was way too preachy and as I said before Evan was lackluster. OH well, I'm sure it was a learning experience for him and if he decided after that performance that music wasn't for him, or if decided he better start small in clubs rather than Hollywood Bowl, to gain performance experience, than it was a lesson well worth learning. I think if Star kids are going to have a chance of making it on their own, it's not a good idea to be so closely associated with the parent or give off the appearance they have to depend on mom or dad to get them the job. They need to carve their own path. If Evan decides to try singing again, he should take no more gigs opening for his mother and resist the idea of having her sing with him on any recordings until he makes a name on his own as a singer.

I was at the Bowl that night too and I have to agree I was very interested to see Rhonda and Evan sing. I never saw them perform before. I really didn't care for Rhonda since her kind of music isn't my cup of tea. However Evan wasn't that bad but I do agree he wasn't that good either. But I do feel he can improve and become a very good entertainer. He has all the goods. It didn't bother me one bit having them as an opening act.