[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Christmas CD - Being Re-Released???

Artist Title Song SoundTrack Label ---CLASSICAL--- Composer Title Conductor Performer Ensemble Work Work Catalog Num. Vendor Catalog Num. Existing Customer? Sign In

Large Front
    Diana Ross - Very Special Season CD - Import
    Diana Ross
    [[3 Customer Reviews)

Our Price: $22.29
    Scheduled to release
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Place your order today and be one of the first to receive this product when it arrives.

Product Detail
    Track Listing
    1 Other Version
    3 Customer Reviews

Detailed Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List Price $25.98 [[You save $3.69)
    Category Rock/Pop, R&B, Soul/R&B, Rock
    Label EMI
    All Time Product Rank 420,283
    CD Universe Part number 6985434
    Catalog number 605687
    Discs 1
    Release Date Nov 09, 2011

Diana Ross - Very Special Season CD Track Listing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trk Song Time Price
    1 Winter Wonderland See All 2
    2 White Christmas * See All 4 2:41 $0.99
    [[From different album)
    3 Wonderful Christmastime See All 2
    4 What the World Needs Now See All 2
    5 Happy Christmas [[War Is Over) See All 2
    6 Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! See All 2
    7 Amazing Grace * See All 4 5:46 $0.99
    [[From different album)
    8 His Eye Is On The Sparrow See All 2
    9 Silent Night See All 3
    10 Overjoyed See All 2
    11 O Holy Night See All 2
    12 Someday At Christmas See All 2
    13 Ave Maria See All 2
    14 Christmas Song See All 3
    [[*) MP3 for this song is from a different CD. Listen to the sound sample to be sure this is the version you're looking for.

Very Special Season Other Versions

Very Special Season
    Check Availability

Customer Reviews

Average Rating: [[4.7 out of 5 stars)

Great voice/music
    A great blend of voice and songs; Diana has such a gifted voice, especially for ballads and heartfelt songs; highly recommened...
    Submitted by dave [[Honolulu, HI, USA)
    Was This Review Helpful? Yes No

Ross Represents Reverence
    In this collection you'll hear the most impressive renditions of "O Holy Night" and "Ave Maria" - making the listener just want to weep. These songs are just that touching when delivered with that delicate and heartfelt Diana Ross interpretation.
    Submitted by a reviewer [[Hartford,Ct)
    This review is for a different format.

O Holy Night!
    Some Christmas albums tend to want to "popularise" traditional christmas tunes. This album does no such thing. All arrangements are tastefully traditional, with Diana Ross floating on a bed of lush strings throughout, and in fine voice to boot. Definitely a welcome addition to your collection, whether you're a Ross fan or not.
    Submitted by louk [[Cape Town, South Africa)
    This review is for a different format.

Have you heard this album?

Yes I have it and always give it a play at Christmas. It's the last original Diana CD that I bought. You can buy it for a penny from Amazon UK!

It's a very good cd. I always wondered why Motown didn't release it in the US. It would probably have been a good catalog seller over the years.

Yes, it is a very good CD. I'm sure it is one that has continued to sell over the years.

Is this an edited version? It looks like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yes, it is a very good CD. I'm sure it is one that has continued to sell over the years.

Is this an edited version? It looks like it is.
    Same song listing as the import I have from 1994.

I wondered because it said White Christmas and Amazing Grace were from a different album; I suppose from Christmas in Vienna for Amazing Grace; but where did White Christmas come from???

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Yes I have it and always give it a play at Christmas. It's the last original Diana CD that I bought. You can buy it for a penny from Amazon UK!
    Wow, well lots of good reviews and only having to pay a penny plus about $5 for shipment from the UK...I just placed my order. I have never seen or heard of this CD. I'll be anxious to hear it.

I wondered because it said White Christmas and Amazing Grace were from a different album; I suppose from Christmas in Vienna for Amazing Grace; but where did White Christmas come from???
    The song line-up is the same as the 1994 version, but it looks as if they made one change. The timing listed above for WHITE CHRISTMAS doesn't match that on the Xmas cd that I have. However, the version that Diana recorded with Placido Domingo for Xmas In Vienna is indeed 2:41. So I suppose they swapped it for some reason.

And yes, AMAZING GRACE is the same performance included on the Xmas In Vienna album. I gather it has real special meaning for Diana, as she also included it on FOREVER,DIANA. It is a high point of the album.
    Last edited by reese; 11-02-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Good CD
    D was in good form for this one.

I played this CD non-stop throughout the 1994 holiday season, such an unexpected collection. I remember reading an interview with Nick Martinelli, the CD's producer. The entire project was completed in just a few weeks with Diana's vocals recorded over a 4-day period to meet EMI's deadline.

I was surprised it was never released in the US.

This CD is reissued almost every year in one country or another. Last year it was reissued in Japan and this year it's been reissued again in Japan.

It's a must have. A beautiful Christmas CD. One of my favourites for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I was surprised it was never released in the US.
    That's because we don't deserve it! hehehehehe..............Maybe someday we will be worthy.

Has it really never been issued in the USA before?

Well, Nov 9 is the day; we'll have to go together and make sure Marv get's his copy. It is a very good CD.

Maybe it's being released or re-released because the touring has been so successful.

smark21 Guest
    Has it really never been issued in the USA before?

Well, Nov 9 is the day; we'll have to go together and make sure Marv get's his copy. It is a very good CD.

Maybe it's being released or re-released because the touring has been so successful.
    Or perhaps lots of children have been behaving badly and there's a coal shortage so the Ross Xmas CD will act as a substitute for coal as a present to give naughty children who don't deserve a nice Christmas present?

A Very Special Season is an album that is exclusive to the EMI label in the UK. She has other tracks that have not been released in North America due to this contractual arrangement with EMI [[ie. "Tell Mama" and "Mr. Lee" from Red Hot Rhythm & Blues, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" from I Love You, etc).

This collection is a really solid Christmas release. I've used it at many a party and on many compilations of Christmas music. I can't believe that Motown in the US never got the rights to release it here in the States. I found mine at a small independent cd store back in the late 90's and have thoroughly enjoyed it every holiday season. Beautiful arrangement, beautiful vocals - just what you want to hear during the Christmas season.

I have had this for a couple of years, and every Christmas it comes out. It is one of the BEST Christmas collections ever IMHO..Diana is in GREAT form..Paulo xxx

I have this one as well as the one she did for Hallmark around the same time. That one is just as wonderful. I selected my favorites from both CD's, along with downloaded versions of "The most wonderful time" from her Christmas in Vienna CD, "The Christmas Song", and "This Christmas". Now this is a great CD. LoL.
    Last edited by skooldem1; 11-03-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I have this one as well as the one she did for Hallmark around the same time. That one is just as wonderful. I selected my favorites from both CD's, along with downloaded versions of "The most wonderful time" from her Christmas in Vienna CD, "The Christmas Song", and "This Christmas". Now this is a great CD. LoL.
    The Christmas in Vienna Concert is Ross at her best.

I agree, Roberta. My favourite tracks are "Amazing Grace" and "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". Her voice is so pure on that live recording. Diana Ross proved she could be a classical artist. It's so amazing the way she can transform her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I agree, Roberta. My favourite tracks are "Amazing Grace" and "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". Her voice is so pure on that live recording. Diana Ross proved she could be a classical artist. It's so amazing the way she can transform her voice.
    And she looked simply stunning Carlo. I loved how the classical and pop voices blended so well.

Best to you.

Roberta

Those are my two favorites as well Carlo. These 2 songs show Diana at her best, in different ways.

Miss Ross did a very nice job on the Very Special Season and Hallmark Christmas cds.

smark21 Guest
    Diana Ross did not prove herself a classical artist on Christmas in Vienna. She sang pop songs and hymns with a microphone. A classical singer performs without a mic and material from the classical reportoire.

I remember the Christmas in Vienna special especially Diana making those big dramatic gestures to draw attention to herself and make it appear as if she were moved by the music while Placidio Domingo and Jose Ferraras were singing more classical songs. I had a few friends who love their Classical music and they thought Ross was a joke as a singer, a performer, a musician and a diva on that show.

It probably is true that Diana Ross didn't do too much classical on Christmas In Vienna but she certainly set the bar for success for that series and set it up so that the series continued. And the CD was highly successful.

I am not sure that a CD was issued of any of the other concerts that followed. Anybody know?

It probably is true that Diana Ross didn't do too much classical on Christmas In Vienna but she certainly set the bar for success for that series and set it up so that the series continued. And the CD was highly successful.

I am not sure that a CD was issued of any of the other concerts that followed. Anybody know?
    Subsequent Vienna concerts produced tv specials and cds featuring Dionne Warwick, Natalie Cole, and Vanessa Williams. Not sure there were any more after Williams.

And Diana also did two subsequent concerts/tv specials with Carreras and Domingo.
    Last edited by reese; 11-03-2011 at 09:47 PM.

I remember seeing part of the Dionne Warwick one on TV. Reese, do you have the other CDS? Are they of equal quality?

I remember seeing part of the Dionne Warwick one on TV. Reese, do you have the other CDS? Are they of equal quality?
    I have Dionne's and Natalie's. But I can't offer a good opinion on them as I only listened to them a few times, when they were first released.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Diana Ross did not prove herself a classical artist on Christmas in Vienna. She sang pop songs and hymns with a microphone. A classical singer performs without a mic and material from the classical reportoire.
    Say what you want, but I feel that Diana totally transformed her voice during those shows in order to sing the material she was given. This was not some 60's Motown medley...she was singing with classical artists and an orchestra and I believe she had to adapt as an artist to the genre. She is so versatile, she can sing anything. After the Christmas in Vienna concert, she continued to tour with these gentlemen over the years, doing shows in Budapest, etc., so say what you want, but obviously the audiences loved the format and loved her, or else she wouldn't have continued touring with Carreras and Domingo.

smark21 Guest
    Say what you want, but I feel that Diana totally transformed her voice during those shows in order to sing the material she was given. This was not some 60's Motown medley...she was singing with classical artists and an orchestra and I believe she had to adapt as an artist to the genre. She is so versatile, she can sing anything. After the Christmas in Vienna concert, she continued to tour with these gentlemen over the years, doing shows in Budapest, etc., so say what you want, but obviously the audiences loved the format and loved her, or else she wouldn't have continued touring with Carreras and Domingo.
    She's sung with orchestral type arrangements on her recordings over the years. She was hardly new to such arrangements, which are pop orchestral arrangments, not full on classical music pieces. And except for Ave Maria, the songs she sang at the concert were pop songs and hymns. OR do you seriously consider The Most Wonderful Time of the Year and If We Hold On Together classical music pieces? And as for Ave Maria, she sang it in a pop vein, not a classical vein. She does not have a classical voice or the years of intensive training to sing classical pieces credibly. Which is fine and she was smart to do it that way. But by claiming that Ross proved herself to be a classical music singer on this concert, you're exposing yourself as someone who does not have any familiarity with classical music. I'm no expert on classical music, but I spent my entire childhood and adolescence eating at a dinner table with parents who played classical music and opera nearly every night on the family stereo. Diana Ross on Christmas in Vienna is in no way the work of a classical music performer.

Laurel Guest
    I love Christmas music. Every november I start playing Christmas music. It just puts me in a festive mood. I'm playing Natalie Cole's Christmas CD right now. I've never heard Diana Ross' Christmas album. I hope it will get released as I like to buy a couple of new Christmas albums every year.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    But by claiming that Ross proved herself to be a classical music singer on this concert, you're exposing yourself as someone who does not have any familiarity with classical music.
    Maybe you're right. I don't.

When I said "classical artist", maybe that was the wrong term to use. She wasn't some sort of opera singer...but I do feel like her voice transformed during that particular concert...it seemed to soar. I don't know how else to describe it. I personally feel it fit well with the music.
    Last edited by carlo; 11-05-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
    I love Christmas music. Every november I start playing Christmas music. It just puts me in a festive mood.
    I love Christmas music too. I am listening to Patti LaBelle's album, "Miss Patti's Christmas".

With all this talk about Ross and her Christmas album i gotta ask a question:

When and why did she record "This Christmas"? It was included on that Motown Christmas Compiliation a few
    years back, but I don't believe it was release prior. Was there a planned Christmas album in the 70's? What gives?

I haven't played the Christmas in Vienna in many years. I was never fond of her performances on that album and TV Special. I didn't care for the Hallmark release either. I'll have to play them this year.

I bought "A Very Special Season" in 1994 when it was released. I enjoy it very much. It's a must-have for all Diana Ross fans - a nice adult-contemporary Christmas collection. I was disappointed that it never saw release in the US. I hope they keep the same cover on this reissue - it's nice to see her smiling.

diana recorded THIS CHRISTMAS in the mid 70's and i believe she was planning on recording a solo christmas album ,but..., no other tracks have been found thus far???