[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    honest man Guest
    bankhouse very quick do you know about kim being in lake district [a tenner ]uk this month i will send you info if you want, cheers

Mary Wells went to England to tour with the Beatles in Oct. 1964, she had been tied up in court all summer with Motown & he first 20th Century release "Ain't It The Truth"b/w"Stop Takin Me For Granted" wans't released until last week of Oct.Sounds Incorporated was the band, Mary had her own guitarist & musical director.

Honest:

I knew she was there last year, along with Louvain, who then came to stay at our house and took part in a show down here. Didn't know she was back again, but I'm sure it will be another sellout.

Motony:

I don't know when Kim's UK visit started. I know it was some time before the agent got them onto a bill this end. My friend from across town has furnished evidence that she played the Gaumont, Bradford on November 14th with PJ Proby topping the bill, the Barron Knights and Mike Sarne, so there was certainly a period when she and Mary were both here. Kim is listed as backed by The Earl Van Dyke Quartet, so the four listed by Jack was all there was. I know Earl was more than capable of performing bass duties on the Hammond pedalboard, but isn't it interesting that Maurice and Berry should consider a bassist the least important element of the Motown Sound within the numerical limits imposed on them at that time?

Hi Dave...I don't know when the show was from, I was only going by the re-runs of the shows that survived which are now owned by Dave Clark.

Thanks Mr S. There must be some transmission dates listed somewhere. Be interesting to kknow.

Hi Dave...I found these, but I've been through 1964 the only Motown act I could find was Martha & The Vandellas.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196287/episodes#year-1964

This version by Kim of "Take Me In Your Arms...." has two different lead vocals "doubetracked" and the backing vocals in stereo with the main backing track in the center....I thought that the original studio session multi-track tape for her version was lost and could not be found. Otherwise, it would have been used on the old Motown Original Master Karaoke CD, instead of the Isley's version...Was Harry Weinger holding out on us?

Last edited by marxthespot_; 11-07-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Good spot marxthespot!

I wonder where this mix originated.

The multitrack would appear to exist, as this seems to be a newly created mix.

As far as I can remember, when asked why Kim's version of TMIYA was not issued on whatever volume of the Singing Machine Karaoke discs, and the Isley Brothers used instead, Andy Skurow just said it was "unavailable".

Anyway, for comparison, I just pulled out the Stereo '16 Big Hits' mix and as I thought, it has two sets of BG vocals - one in each channel [[Male & Female) and the rhythm track elements are evenly panned as opposed to them being more or less centred in the above mix as marxthespots mentions. There is of course only one set of Kim's vocals on the '16 Big Hits' version as there is on the 45 mix.

As the track was originally cut in 1964 [[I don't have the full session dates to hand) and Eddie Holland's vocal dubbed on to it [[completed 07-Oct-64 according to DFTMC), one can assume it was bumped up to 8 track for Kim's version [[completed 18-Jul-65).

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 11-07-2011 at 08:29 PM.

I thought maybe Kim was singing along to it LIVE in the TV studio & thats why the lead sounds multi-tracked.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post
    Thanks Dave...I remember Kim appearing on Ready Steady Go would this be around the same period.
    I don't know if it was to record Ready Steady Go, but Kim arrived in the UK on about the 4th November, 1964. The reason I can pinpoint this with such accuracy is that when she landed, she was asked, along with other passengers, by BBC TV for her views on the US Presidential election, the result of which had just been announced.

That's interesting 144 - o.nly ten days before the Bradford gig. That means Mary was already in the UK, I guess. But, if that was the case, why send Kim at all? If the Mary tour was set up, but she couldn't make it at the last minute, which is the story from the guys set up to back her, why go ahead with the 'replacement', when she became available, and why tie your best musicians up with the 'second string', leaving the Queen to play with Sounds Orchestral?

was that Sound Incorporated no good?

Whoops. Sounds Incorporated, I meant to say, Tony. They were very good, but they weren't Motown.

yes, Dave, but Mary was no longer a Motown artist either.

There was an unreleased album "Take Me In Your Arms" G934 and I heard somewhere that a second "Kim Weston Is Kim Weston" could have been planned but no cat.# can anybody substantiate this.

God point, Motony. I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Sounds Incorporated......I remember all too well. They no doubt were accomplished regular musicians, but the nuances and the feel of the Motown sound totally evaded them.....unfortunately, they, to my mind, diminished the performances.....cruel but true. When you drove 200 each way miles in those days and saw Sounds Incorporated, .....