[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    On Run, Run, Run it is Eddie Holland on backing vocals with Mary and Flo

No Andantes, at all???!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    No Andantes, at all???!!

Do they have a website or something? I mean the Andantes?

dianesfan_1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    On Run, Run, Run it is Eddie Holland on backing vocals with Mary and Flo

I love the piano on this song.

No, the Andantes, I don't think were formed yet when Run, Run, Run was recorded, which was earlier in 1963. Actually, you can hear Eddie Holland on several Supremes tracks. Listen to You're Gone [[But Always In My Heart), Lovelight In His Eyes [[as I recall HDH were all three on that) and especially I'm In Love Again from More Hits. Eddie is very vocal on that one as he is on Send Me No Flowers.

Eddie Holland loved chorale effects, which is why he overlaid the Andantes on all the Four Tops recordings they did. Those harmonies on the Tops tracks are absolutely stunning. All three men, HDH, had great singing voices, it's a shame they didn't go after their own successes...though Lamont certainly had his share of hits.

I agree with Dianesfan, that one note piano on Run is outstanding. Whoever that was, I bet his fingers were sore after laying that track down. It's dizzying just listening to it. This could be why the song didn't do so well, it was a little frenetic for it's time. Lovelight was upbeat but not quite as "busy" behind Ross's vocal. I must say Ross, albeit nasal, did a great vocal on this but I'd have to wonder how Flo would have done it.

I think it was WAY over exagerated that they didn't like the song. And, yes, I heard Flo say this was her favorite of
    their hits.

Exagerated like everything about the Supremes and Diana Ross.......big as the Ross hair.

Well, I don't recall Flo ever saying she didn't like WDOLG, but Diana and especially Mary have said it in the past.

Eddie Holland made their disdain clear in ETH, Diana grugingly recorded it.

Remember, when the artist did the recordings, they were not listening to the full track that the public eventually heard. Some times the full instrumental track was not recorded yet. In their headsets were sparse arrangements, maybe a piano and drum to keep the timing with the producer usually singing along with them. If you listen to the stereo mix of WDOLG it is significantly watered down from the hit mono version. The piano is rather monotonous and only one set of thunderclaps rather than the 2/4 over the 4/4 on the hit single. This is another reason why WDOLG suffered in concert performances...it was so simple it was boring. The hit recorded version with the thunderclaps and bass made it explosive.

I totally agree; the live performances you see on Youtube usually sound tinny, simple; nothing compared to the recording.

Any Girl in Love Background vocals

The Andantes may be on the record with the harmonies, but I clearly hear Flo with
    the repeat refrains "Any Girl in Lovvvvve" over and over,

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post
    Great job, Fran. Sorry to get off topic, but I think it's only the Andantes backing "Any Girl In Love," not Flo. Many of the harmonies on the records were left up to the Andantes.

Where Did our love go

I think Flo may have been referring to the album wdolg, because on Unsung she say
    humm we don't like this record, on the ed sullivan show she cites it as her favorite,
    but I think she should have said "Come See About Me" because she really comes through on that one whether berry like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    How odd about WDOLG~~
    It was this song that Flo would always say was her favorite. I wonder why it would be her favorite if she couldn't hear herself on it. How odd.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 11-04-2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: mistake

Not only do I hear Flo on the refrains of "Any Girl in Loooveee" but also "makes me cry sometimmmess with Mary
    The bkgnds of the Andantes make the track flawless no doubt, but i beleive Flo and Mary could have done just as well on their own. Those tracks with Flo and Mary have a better Supremes sound like Come See About me, Back in my Arms AGain, The happening, Love is like an itching, Baby Love, I hear a symphony.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Not only do I hear Flo on the refrains of "Any Girl in Loooveee" but also "makes me cry sometimmmess with Mary
    The bkgnds of the Andantes make the track flawless no doubt, but i beleive Flo and Mary could have done just as well on their own. Those tracks with Flo and Mary have a better Supremes sound like Come See About me, Back in my Arms AGain, The happening, Love is like an itching, Baby Love, I hear a symphony.
    I agree. Listen to how flawless Mary, Flo and Diane all sound together on "A Breathtaking Guy"!

Fran, are you in Brooklyn?

There you go, one upping again. Andy said if you are Berry, Mary or Smokey, it's Diane; to earthlings, mortals, non fans, it's Diana!

I've heard Diana Ross many times in '64/'65 refer to herself onstage in public as Diane Ross, also on Copa LP she does.

I know Mary and Cindy were on the collaborations with the Temptations but what in fact was the first single to feature Diana with backing singers?

I was reading that Love Child was Diana with the Andantes - I thought it hadn't started until after that.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I know Mary and Cindy were on the collaborations with the Temptations but what in fact was the first single to feature Diana with backing singers?

I was reading that Love Child was Diana with the Andantes - I thought it hadn't started until after that.
    According to the DRATS 50th Anniversary Singles set that was released, Stop in the Name of Love was the first single to feature only The Andantes behind Diana.

Changing focus, a bit, but on The Marvelettes' version of I Want a Guy, it sounds like it's the Andantes only behind Wanda's lead. That song was recorded in late 61.

so as early as "Stop.." we were basically buying Diana Ross records, and the girls were primarily important for 'live' shows and tv...wow...no wonder Ross was always saying that she did all the work, etc..obviously she was refering to the studio work

This would be true