[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Marv Johnson

Marv Johnson

As the forum seems to be OBSESSED again with The Supremes, Diana et al. I thought I might try a new thread with a Motowner, who should BE right at the top. The Loveley MARV JOHNSON...well,,, go on then

I thought Marv was great! He had hits on U.A., but when that contract ran out and Motown signed him it seems he
    didn't receive any promotion. I liked his Gordy single "I'm Not A Plaything".

Marv Johnson was one of my personal favorites and YES I met and got to know him as well! He had a unique voice and stage presence. Although I do not believe he ever truly benefitted from Motown's success, Artist Development etc,etc. he was a showman! "You've Got What It Takes" is a favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    I thought Marv was great! He had hits on U.A., but when that contract ran out and Motown signed him it seems he
    didn't receive any promotion. I liked his Gordy single "I'm Not A Plaything".
    Randy, that is true. By the time Marv was officially signed to Motown, there were other acts there that were ahead of him in terms of the company's attention and promotion.

Thanks Guys..Lets give the late great Marv the attention he deserves. Im playing his one and only album, as we speak...Cant fault it at all.... Paulo xxx

marv2..You were so lucky to meet him. I heard he did a great show. Listening now to So Glad You Chose Me...from the superb Motown Anthology CD..Paulo xxx

I saw Marv Johnson live in the "Giants of Motown" tour along with the Temptations and "Three Degrees" in 1992 in Preston, Lancashire, England.
    Marv opened the show and was superb. I didn't know much about him then but bought all his music available at the time following the concert. I can't remember the exact date of the concert but he sadly passed away in the May the following year so I suspect this was his last visit to England.

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    marv2..You were so lucky to meet him. I heard he did a great show. Listening now to So Glad You Chose Me...from the superb Motown Anthology CD..Paulo xxx

Well my Mom actually introduced me to him. She knew him from back in the day. Upon meeting him I could tell he was just a good guy, easy to get along but came up the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by TMSG View Post
    I saw Marv Johnson live in the "Giants of Motown" tour along with the Temptations and "Three Degrees" in 1992 in Preston, Lancashire, England.
    Marv opened the show and was superb. I didn't know much about him then but bought all his music available at the time following the concert. I can't remember the exact date of the concert but he sadly passed away in the May the following year so I suspect this was his last visit to England.
    I have his newspaper obituary from the Detroit Free Press stuck in the middle of Berry Gordy's book for some reason. I remember being shocked that he had passed so suddenly.

Marv didn't have a powerhouse voice, but he had a style all his own.

Check this clip out of Marv from a top of the Pontchitrain Hotel in Detroit. It's been edited and overdubbed heavily but it will give you some idea of what a great performer Marv was even just a few years before he left us:

Marv2...thats great..thank you..Paulo xxx

Marv2...thats great..thank you..Paulo xxx
    Paulo, I was in the audience that night. I was hoping to spot myself in that clip. He put on a great show then, I'll never forget it.

Mary Wells told me that Marv Johnson was the big star when she began working with Motown and that Berry would get
    up and give Marv his seat when he came in the room. I liked his recording of "Merry-Go-Round", which I think Eddie
    Holland also did.

marv2..Great memories for you. I only had the audio, but thanks you you, I have a bit of visual too. Thanks so much..He was brilliant...Paulo xxx

Mary Wells told me that Marv Johnson was the big star when she began working with Motown and that Berry would get
    up and give Marv his seat when he came in the room. I liked his recording of "Merry-Go-Round", which I think Eddie
    Holland also did.
    Now Randy, I feel you are the lucky one to have had the opportunity to meet and know Mary Wells. She was a trendsetter and now iconic!

I thought Marv Johnson had two lps on United Artists. I remember having one of them, I think it was titled Marvelous
    Marv Johnson.

I just love the ACE/Kent Motown release. I'm Not A Plaything is a favourite.

I thought Marv Johnson had two lps on United Artists. I remember having one of them, I think it was titled Marvelous
    Marv Johnson.
    Randy, he had 3 LP's on United Artists : "Marvelous", "More" and "I Believe", which is more gospelly than the previous two.

For me the one to have is his album released in England "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose", whose tracks must be on the recent CD :

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    I just love the ACE/Kent Motown release. I'm Not A Plaything is a favourite.
    The previously unreleased tracks are all excellent songs.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    That ACE/Kent release is amazing! I keep coming back to "There Goes A Lonely Man." I don't know what it is. For one thing, it sounds as if it's modeled after the Chicago Sound more than the Detroit Sound, and as played by the Funk Brothers, it has a vibe all its own. Marv's treatment of this song's lyrics is most haunting. His distinct falsetto is perfect for this absolutely mournful song and is surprisingly moving, emotionally. The Temptations are doing the backing vocals and it all adds up to a fantastic track.

Marv was a perfect fit with the Motown Sound and I just think it's sad that his recordings didn't receive the attention they deserved.

I saw Marv Johnson in Montreal back in 61 on a show starring Ray Charles. Also on the bill was Preston Epps, Ron Holden, the Drifters, Billy Bland, and MC Redd Foxx. The Doc Bagby Band backed the show. Marv Johnson was my favorite back then, "I love the way you love" "Move two mountains" Marv Johnson was a number 1 attraction at that moment in time.

I saw him in Paignton in the mid-eighties. I'll Pick A Rose had always been one of my favourite Motown songs. That night at the Festival Theatre the fans made him sing it three times as I remember. The band got it right once of the three, but Marv was a real pro and succeeded in selling it every time despite the odds. I know he went on to play some Motown weekenders at Camber untill pretty near the end.

just got the "kent" marv johnson album. not familiar with him, so the album was a real treat. seems like alotta the stuff is produced by jimmy ruffin's producers. mr. Johnson has that same sweet voice as jimmy's. fine, fine, album! motown's second string was anything but! next up is my unopened patrice holloway's "love &desire". another treat, i'm sure!

the fans of Marv JOhnson may be interested in this video!!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrcr7...hannel&list=UL

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    just got the "kent" marv johnson album. not familiar with him, so the album was a real treat. seems like alotta the stuff is produced by jimmy ruffin's producers. mr. Johnson has that same sweet voice as jimmy's. fine, fine, album! motown's second string was anything but! next up is my unopened patrice holloway's "love &desire". another treat, i'm sure!
    I totally agree. I find many similarities between Johnson and Jimmy Ruffin. They both have a nice mellow sound and they seemed to excel at similar material, especially the more "anthem" type ballads.

Kenneth, I agree and "'anthem' type ballads" is a good word. I believe many of them were written by William Weatherspoon and James Dean, they had a certain melodic sound to many of their songs.

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    the fans of Marv JOhnson may be interested in this video!!!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrcr7...hannel&list=UL
    Thank you dvus7! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I totally agree. I find many similarities between Johnson and Jimmy Ruffin. They both have a nice mellow sound and they seemed to excel at similar material, especially the more "anthem" type ballads.
    That is the best way to describe both Marv and Jimmy......mellow and soulful at the same time.

As the forum seems to be OBSESSED again with The Supremes, Diana et al. I thought I might try a new thread with a Motowner, who should BE right at the top. The Loveley MARV JOHNSON...well,,, go on then
    Ok, and I guess I'm partially to blame for the Supremes obsession rearing it's stunningly be-wigged head yet again - sorry it's in my genes [[or is that Jean's?) I have some GREAT footage of Marv doing his thing. I'll Youtube it tonight so you can all see it. Steve.
    Name:  Mr Marv.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  14.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I totally agree as well and when MARV JOHNSON had his big U.K. top 10 hit with "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose" at the end of 1968 I thought that a lot of the record's appeal was because it sounded very like the hits that JIMMY RUFFIN had had.

Roger