[REMOVE ADS]

James Jamerson on Tour

Just been browsing some old concert programs and noticed that James Jamerson was in the band on the 1975 Diana Ross European Tour. I attended this concert in Manchester on 27th March. If only I had known then what I know now !!
    Does anybody know how long JJ toured with other Motown acts.

You may or may not have seen Jamerson on that particular Diana Ross tour. James was having serious personal problems in those days. Reports that he would sit off by himself during rehersal breaks, etc ultimately resulted in him being sent home in the middle of that tour.

Jamerson did some early touring with Motown acts in the early days, following his previous work on the road with Jackie Wilson...but eventually, Berry Gordy decided to keep James and the other Funk Brothers studio bound during Motowns recording heyday in Detroit. Others, like Tony Newton were usually sent out on the road with Motown acts in the mid-late 60's including the hearalded Motown UK tour.

I did notice Jamerson, along with fellow Funk Brothers Earl VanDyke, Robert White, Eddie Brown, and sax player Eli Fontaine appearing with Marvin Gaye for the Save The Children concert in Chicago in the early 70's I believe.

Following Motown [[and Jamersons) move to California, Jamerson did some touring largely with non-Motown artists like Pearl Bailey, Joan Baez and others. Eventually, his health problems brought his touring and studio work to a standstill preceeding his death.
    Last edited by StuBass1; 10-27-2011 at 01:40 PM.

I met Mr. Jamerson at Gold Star Studios in LA in 1974 we were at sessions Charles Wright [[of Watts 103rd St Band fame) were producing.He was very jovial & fun to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I met Mr. Jamerson at Gold Star Studios in LA in 1974 we were at sessions Charles Wright [[of Watts 103rd St Band fame) were producing.He was very jovial & fun to talk to.
    You met him? Wow, that must have been something. I always wished I could have met and talked with him.

What was the cause of his death? Thank you.

James Jamerson on stage.

James can be seen on the 1963 Motortown Revue video plugging in and backing the Miracles.