[REMOVE ADS]

iPOD Ten Years Old Today

It turned the music industry upside down. For better or worse, it was ten years ago, October 23, 2011, that the iPOD was introduced. That device led to I-Tunes, the demise of the record stores and a new way to buy music.

In 2000, digital music players were either big and clunky or small and useless with equally terrible user interfaces. Apple saw the opportunity and announced the release of the iPod, their first portable music player on October 23, 2001.

At first, the reactions were confused and hostile, critics lambasted the $400 price tag, the unconventional scroll wheel and the lack of Windows compatibility. Despite all this, the iPod sold beyond everyone's expectations, went on to revolutionize the entire music industry, and the rest is history.

On October 23, 2001 Steve Jobs forever changed the course of media and entertainment distribution when he unveiled his creation, the Apple Ipod.

R.I.P. music stores. It's been a long 10 years.

As much as I love my iPod, it is sad to see the demise of the record stores. I still purchase cds and transfer the music to the iPod for the car. I can remember as a youngster going to record stores and flipping through the albums admiring the album art. Never thought I'd grow up to be a photographer but that inspired me a lot. Just as ajk93 said, RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    As much as I love my iPod, it is sad to see the demise of the record stores. I still purchase cds and transfer the music to the iPod for the car. I can remember as a youngster going to record stores and flipping through the albums admiring the album art. Never thought I'd grow up to be a photographer but that inspired me a lot. Just as ajk93 said, RIP.
    Well put. Ipods are indeed handy and convienient. But the effect it has had on music distribution and
    formats is all too tragic.