[REMOVE ADS]

Fender Rhodes Piano from Sigma Sound Studio... demo!

check out the demo of this vintage keyboard used on hits at Philly's Sigma Sound:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HtfWSbmuAc

Terrific! I noticed Tom Moulton's very interesting post in the comments......

Love the sound of a Fender/Rhodes. Didn't like transporting it, though. I had an 88 and when it came to moving it around, it's only atribute was that it made my Vox Jaguar seem light.....

I've owned a couple of them over the years. they were a much more reliable keyboard than the Wurlitzer electric piano, which had a tendency to break reeds. The major drawback of the Rhodes was the lousy touch. I even met and had lunch with Harold Rhodes, who I had invited to speak at a Piano Technicians Guild conference I chaired in 1977. All in all it was a great stage piano.

I'd never seen one up close, it sure was the signature sound of the 70s. Richard Carpenter used the Rhodes heavily on Carpenters records. And with the stereo Leslie effect, it so nicely starts Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years.

I'm a huge fan of the Rhodes electric keyboard. Anyone hipped to the new and improved Rhodes ?

http://www.rhodespiano.com/

Here's a demo of the new Rhodes.

Do you know anything about this one, Gary? I'm wondering if it still uses tines for the tones or has it gone electronic.

Keyboards that I use have very good Rhodes settings that I use from time to time in the studio. The advantage there, is the keyboard plays well when a Rhodes keyboard was difficult and one needed to adjust one's playing to accommodate the clunky touch.

Ralph....
    .....I remember watching Corky Siegel [[as in Siegel-Schwall Band) play a Hohner piano....a Pianet maybe. I've had some experience with the Rhodes [[besides a hernia lifting it) but not in the Hohner. Can you compare the two for sound and touch?
    Last edited by Doug-Morgan; 10-25-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Ralph, I'm not really sure about the new Rhodes, but I'm sure the link that I provided should answer your question. They say it's better than the original Rhodes,but I don't know anyone personally that owns the new keyboard.

Wow! Kind of pricey, Gary. I think I paid about $400.00 for my stage model in 1973.

Wow, only $400! Was that new? Here's another for $2000.... as is, no return!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fend...#ht_1256wt_919

Yeah, Gary. Brand new. I've owned two of them through the years. I guess I should have kept one to sell at today's prices.

I see them pop up on Craigslist from $ 800.00 up !
    If I knew how to play piano,I would probably purchase one.