[REMOVE ADS]

New marvin book?

I'm listening too a radio show as i type this and the show is honoring marvin and according to the host there is a book by his sister violla in the works,anyone know about this?

The title is-my brother marvin-a memoir.

She's been saying she's writing a book for over 10 years. She tried to launch a play on Marvin and was sued to a halt. She's very opportunistic

Ok,very interesting as she did say that drugs were a part of her life until eight years ago and that she is writing the book to clear up misconceptions about marvin and her family.

Here we go....................Didn't Frankie Gaye write a book about MARVIN some years ago???
    Just wait until ANNA is not around [[I'm sorry but we will all in time meet our maker) ,the shxxs really gonna fly then.
    MARVIN's work ,his genius ,his story is also a legal property. I don't know who or where his royalties are going to ,but rest assured that ANNA has a lot of control over Marvin Gaye property.
    Last edited by daddyacey; 10-23-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Here we go....................Didn't Frankie Gaye write a book about MARVIN some years ago???
    Just wait until ANNA is not around [[I'm sorry but we will all in time meet our maker) ,the shxxs really gonna fly then.
    MARVIN's work ,his genius ,his story is also a legal property. I don't know who or where his royalties are going to ,but rest assured that ANNA has a lot of control over Marvin Gaye property.
    Don't you think at least most of his latter day material would be owned by the second wife, Janice? This would be all the material that he controlled. After the proceeds from "Here, My Dear," I doubt Anna got anything else even with her connections to Motown.

I have the book that Frankie wrote, "My Brother". Nor exactly a great read.IMHO.. Paulo xxx

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    I have the book that Frankie wrote, "My Brother". Nor exactly a great read.IMHO.. Paulo xxx
    I tried to read it as well, couldn't get through it. Didn't have much to add to Marvin's life story. What was odd was didn't Frankie also record some of Gaye's songs for Levine's label? I think he even rerecorded "It Takes Two," though maybe not with Kim Weston. I have no idea what kind of singer he was, but that really looks like cashing in on someone else's legacy.

Yes he did record a few sides for the Nightmare / Motorcity label. I believe he too, has passed on. Paulo xxx

Frankie recorded 5 songs for Ian Levine and he died in 2001. Here is a link for youtube with a story from Ian Levine about the recording etc.:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEVQtnXMFtA

Now, what would be the best book on Marvin? it is the one from David Ritz?

Yes...and even that one has inaccuracies

Thanks. Wouldn't it be time for an updated version?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I tried to read it as well, couldn't get through it. Didn't have much to add to Marvin's life story. What was odd was didn't Frankie also record some of Gaye's songs for Levine's label? I think he even rerecorded "It Takes Two," though maybe not with Kim Weston. I have no idea what kind of singer he was, but that really looks like cashing in on someone else's legacy.
    I saw Frankie Gaye perform in Detroit. Met him afterwards and he looked and sounded very similiar to Marvin. It was a bit eery. Yes he too has passed now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Frankie recorded 5 songs for Ian Levine and he died in 2001. Here is a link for youtube with a story from Ian Levine about the recording etc.:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEVQtnXMFtA

Now, what would be the best book on Marvin? it is the one from David Ritz?
    Yes, David Ritz's book is the best one. Marvin told David most of his story directly.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes, David Ritz's book is the best one. Marvin told David most of his story directly.
    I totally agree. Ritz is a great writer. All his books, liner notes, are very interesting and thorough. He really gets into the subject of what made Marvin who he was and doesn't seem to fawn all over his subject. He maintains objectivity even though it's obvious he thinks Gaye was a great artist [[as he indeed was).