[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Single Matrix Numbers

I've always wondered what the significance of the matrix number found on US singles that usually consists of 3 letters and 5 or 6 numbers. I don't have many US singles in my collection so can't compare the differrent combinations but are the letters used to signify composers or producers and is there a diffinative list of what each combination relates to?

According to Reg Barlettes excellent book "Off The Record", MATRIX codes were started by Motown in mid 1980, and continued until the sale of Motown in June 1988. 2 letter codes were used for 7", and 3 letter codes for 12" singles. From what I understand [[it does get confusing), promo records got matrix numbers as well, which dates the release dates of these issues more accurately, when often there was no other method of dating. Does that make sense? Hope Reg, you dont mind me using your info. Just trying to help a fan...Paulo xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by TMSG View Post
    I've always wondered what the significance of the matrix number found on US singles that usually consists of 3 letters and 5 or 6 numbers. I don't have many US singles in my collection so can't compare the differrent combinations but are the letters used to signify composers or producers and is there a diffinative list of what each combination relates to?
    These letters you are referring to are the DM number or Duplicate Master Number and have been discussed a few times on the old forum.

They originally only contained the mix engineers code, followed by the reel number and then the position of the song on the tape.

By mid to late 1964, they started adding the producers code, then the recording engineers code, followed by the mix engineers code.

Then in mid to late 1966, they added whether the song was cut in mono or stereo with the M or S prefix before the track position.

Below is a post from the old forum by former Motown engineer Bob Olhsson on the DM system.

I can offer a little explanation about the use and evolution of the DM number codes.

The purpose was to co-ordinate individual original master tapes of mixes with the safety copies, acetates and master lacquers that were subsequently made from them. The earliest ones I dealt with from before my time, consisted of a letter code for the producer and a number which indicated the reel and the position on the reel of duplicated safety masters. By the time I arrived, the recording engineer and mixing engineer codes had been added to the prefix.

In 1965 it worked like this.

1. An engineer was assigned songs to mix by the quality control department.

2. the engineer turned the mixes into the disk room

3. the disk room cut a "rundown acetate" and turned it into quality control

4. quality control reviewed the rundown and ordered 10" 45 RPM acetates [[that were cut hot as if they were masters) and "Duplicate Masters" or "DMs" of the mixes they considered worth keeping as contenders for a release.

5. The disk room then leadered the mixes that were to be kept, trashed the rest and created a reference slip filling in the mix engineer code, the temporary number from the rundown acetate and the settings chosen to create a 10" 45 master disk. This reel and the acetates were turned in to quality control. Quality control added the producer and recording engineer codes and sent the reel to be duplicated in the studio.

6. In the studio a recording engineer made a copy of these reels of masters. In 1965 this was at 7.5 i.p.s. on one or two tracks of a three track machine. This engineer filled in the numerical portion of the DM number which consisted of a "DM" reel number, the track numbers of the three-track and the position on the reel. {The reason this low quality format was chosen was because it was assumed that a new first-generation mix would be created matching that on the tape if an original master was lost and no acetate of it was available to serve as a guide.)

6. Quality control then evaluated the ten inch 45 rpm acetates and generally ordered "remasters" which were new mixes incorporating their suggestions. Occasionaly this would extend to ordering changes in a vocal or even additional background vocals or instruments.

7. This process continued until quality control was convinced we had the best possible performance, arrangement and mono mix of the song.

8. For stereo albums, this "ultimate" mono mix would be used as a guide to create a mix in stereo.

Later on, we switched from using the 1/2" 3-track duplicate masters to 1/4" duplicates at 15 i.p.s. and the numbering was changed to indicate if it was mono or stereo using the letters M and S. The formula became:

producer code-

recording engineer code-

mix engineer code-

reel number-

mono or stereo code-

position on reel

Here is a list of producer/engineer codes posted by Bob :-

Here's the best list I've got of engineer and producer codes.

A - William Stevenson
    AS1 - Art Stewart
    B - Berry Gordy, Jr.
    C - Hank Cosby
    D - Lamont Dozier, later Johnny Bristol
    E - Richard Witte
    F - Harvey Fuqua
    G - George Gordy
    H - Holland & Dozier
    I - Harold Taylor
    J - Billie Jean Stoudmyre, later George Kerr, later Billie Jean Brown [[Stoudmyre)
    K - Al Klein, later James Greene
    L - Lawrence Horn
    L1 - Orson Lewis
    M - Mickey Gentile, later, Clay McMurray
    M5 - Larry Miles
    N - Norman Whitfield
    O - Warren Pete Moore
    O1 - Bob Olhsson
    P - Clarence Paul
    Q - unknown or other
    R - Robert Gordy
    S- Richard Street,later Robert Rogers,
    then Ken Sands
    T - Thelma Gordy, later William Weatherspoon
    T2 - Russ Terrana
    T3 - Ralph Terrana
    U - Ronald White, later Cal Harris
    V- Brian Holland, later Sidney McCoy
    W - William Robinson, Jr.
    X - Tom Nixon
    Z - Davis & Gordon
    Z1 - Frank Wilson
    Z2 - Harold Davis
    GW - Golden World

Other people who had letters include:
    Joe Atkinson
    Robert Bateman
    David Braithwaite
    Ron Brown
    Dennis Carlstrom
    Norman Elder
    Don Gooch
    Bob Gratts
    John Lewis
    Lewis Peters
    Ed Redd
    Sam Ross
    Gary Sabadash
    Steve Smith
    Mike Valvano
    Leonard Wasnewski
    Ed Wolfrum
    I have a couple of other lists somewhere but the above is a good source to start.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 10-21-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Well, MANY thanks for this info. Never saw this before. MANY THANKS..Paulo xxx

Thanks for that Bradburger, I think that answers everything.

This is fantastic information. Thanks for sharing!