[REMOVE ADS]

Martha & The Vandellas Complete Albums

Great news about The Marvelettes Complete Albums Vol 2 coming out before the end of the year..........can't wait! Looking forward to more details

Would be great to see a similar project for Martha & the Vandellas...........my favorite Motown group. Be great to see these fantastic albums they did remastered and given a new lease of life.........would particularly love to see Dance Party, Watchout and Ridin' High even though I have most of the many incarnations of these albums that have been released already

I heard many years ago there was an alternate version of Honey Chile but this never seems to have surfaced anywhere unless anyone can tell me anything different! This would suggest that despite the excellent Spellbound: Lost & Found album there is material by Martha & The Vandellas yet to see the light of day

It's hard to say if the albums from Martha & the Vandellas will be reissued again, considering that they were reissued in the UK a few years ago. Although they seem to be out of print for the most part. Another Lost & Found would be great or perhaps an unreleased live album, such as the 1968 Copa recordings.

Martha & The Vandellas Live album recorded at The Twenty Grand Club has never been released on cd as far as I know and would be great to see reissued and remastered............the only copy I have is the vinyl copy from 1967

Im still tring to get hold of the Live album, I have them all except this....frustrating..I have the UK Albums reissue CD. Faab...Paulo xxx

I meant I have the complete album reissues issued in the UK on Cd MINUS the live one, which wasnt. Paulo xxx

The live lp that was released in 67 was rather disappointing to me. The band was insufficient and the editing sloppy.

But the Live album has a really good version of Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone ~ the best version.

Thanks for that info. Heard that the Mono and Stereo issues are different. Still want that vynil though...Paulo xxx

I don't think that Martha's studio albums will be re-issued again as they were all released [[some with bonus tracks) back in 2002. Her unreleased '68 album 'Live At The Copa' is IMHO the best live Motown album and it's a great pity that it's not likely to ever get a release. I do recall something about an alternate version of 'Honey Chile' but I'm not sure if I've ever heard it. Correction I've just found it! Martha's tracks on 'Live In Tokyo' are also great with what I consider to be the best version of 'Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone'.

I also remember being disappointed with Martha & the Vandellas' live album. I have it on vinyl and I think I only listened to it once or twice. I remember hearing bits and pieces of the live Copa recordings on Nightflight years ago, but it's been a while. From what I remember, I liked those recordings much better.

Laurel Guest
    I love Martha and The Vandellas! I hope I'll find their albums at garage sales.

Didn't realise there was unreleased material recorded Live At The Copa still in the can............possibly more material for a Complete Albums project!!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I don't think that Martha's studio albums will be re-issued again as they were all released [[some with bonus tracks) back in 2002. Her unreleased '68 album 'Live At The Copa' is IMHO the best live Motown album and it's a great pity that it's not likely to ever get a release. I do recall something about an alternate version of 'Honey Chile' but I'm not sure if I've ever heard it. Correction I've just found it! Martha's tracks on 'Live In Tokyo' are also great with what I consider to be the best version of 'Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone'.
    Correction I've just found it!!! Does that mean the alternate Honey Chile.............would love to know where I could get to hear this!!

I have this CD [[which is not of the best quality but interesting nevertheless):

The Unreleased Masters
    Martha & The Vandellas

Tracks are:
    Memories Are Made Of This
    Build Him Up
    All That Glitters Isn't Gold
    Coney Island
    Spellbound
    Contract On Love
    I Remember You
    I Can't Take It
    Time Changes Things
    I Want To Be With You Tonight
    I'm Gonna See For Myself
    It's Hard To Walk Away
    He'll Hurt You So
    Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever
    Oh I've Been Blessed
    I'm So Glad You Belong To Me
    The Love I Feel For You
    Hooked On A Bad Thing
    Joy
    Build Your Love On A Strong Foundation
    I Love The Way He Loves Me
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-19-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Some of those tracks are familiar, some not. The "Unreleased Masters" sounds like it may have been an earlier bootleg copy, perhaps a Marginal release. I can't see the scan of the cover here. Many of those tracks surfaced on the "Spellbound: Lost and Found" Hip-O release, but I'm not sure if all of them have.

From that list these are the tracks that remain unreleased.

Build Him Up
    I Remember You
    I'm Gonna See For Myself
    It's Hard To Walk Away
    He'll Hurt You So
    The Love I Feel For You
    Hooked On A Bad Thing

Amazing to think that Martha and the Vandellas covered a Frank Ifield song!

What was the song line-up for the unreleased '68 Copa album?

I never cared for the unreleased Vandellas songs [[sorry) however the LIVE album was very good they were a polished act in their day and the live version of Love Bug Leave My Heart Alone is the way it should have been done in the studio. Its faster and that organ at the beginning kills it and it sounds like a hit! I dont know why it was so slow in the studio if they had released this live version like Stevie Wonders Fingertips it would have been top ten!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    What was the song line-up for the unreleased '68 Copa album?
    Martha, Rosalind,and Lois

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I have this CD [[which is not of the best quality but interesting nevertheless):

The Unreleased Masters
    Martha & The Vandellas

Tracks are:
    Build Him Up
    All That Glitters Isn't Gold
    Coney Island
    Spellbound
    Contract On Love
    I Remember You
    I Can't Take It
    Time Changes Things
    I'm Gonna See For Myself
    It's Hard To Walk Away
    He'll Hurt You So
    Oh I've Been Blessed
    I'm So Glad You Belong To Me
    The Love I Feel For You
    Hooked On A Bad Thing
    Joy
    Build Your Love On A Strong Foundation
    Thought I'd got or at least seen all of Martha & The Vandellas releases!! Realise that this may be a bootleg copy but would love to get my hands on a copy of this cd...........any idea where I might be able to get one!!

There's no may about it, it is a bootleg. Only 11 tracks from that list are still vaulted. The rest are on 'Lost & Found' or Cellarful. 'I Remember You' is nothing to get excited about I'm afraid.

here are some 2 fer martha reeves etc. that were released in 2002 in uk,on sale today,prices are good too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Come-Get-The...9105886&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-Watcho...9105886&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Reso...106065&sr=1-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ridin-High-S...106124&sr=1-25

there is also sugar n spice and dance party on individual [[usa releases).search martha reeves etc and they are on one of the pages
    Last edited by tamla617; 10-20-2011 at 10:44 AM.

honest man Guest
    Well what a suprise i have never seen this cd ,I NEED IT, what are the sound quality,got to be another lost and found released on this group,i wonder if the lost and found series will ever return,, they were excellent, cheers.

The Copa performance has been "floating" around the UK for many years as a bootleg. I also have an acetate of one of those shows which cost me an arm and a leg. Martha, Roz and Lois sound just great. I have given all 3 of the group copies at one time or another.
    I'm also lucky to have the [[legitimate) album release of the concert that Stevie and the Vandellas did in Tokyo in 1968 or was it 1969? [[Senior moment!) Again great performances by the group as well as Stevie.
    I'd love to see both of these concerts released by Hip-O and I intend to remain an eternal optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by motown_david View Post
    The Copa performance has been "floating" around the UK for many years as a bootleg. I also have an acetate of one of those shows which cost me an arm and a leg. Martha, Roz and Lois sound just great. I have given all 3 of the group copies at one time or another.
    I'm also lucky to have the [[legitimate) album release of the concert that Stevie and the Vandellas did in Tokyo in 1968 or was it 1969? [[Senior moment!) Again great performances by the group as well as Stevie.
    I'd love to see both of these concerts released by Hip-O and I intend to remain an eternal optimist.
    Be great to see these performances released by Hip-O and as long as we generate interest on these things we would like to see the more likely they are to see the light of day eventually
    I saw Martha Reeves and The Vandellas at the Sheffield City Hall in the UK - I think it was 1971 and they were supporting Stevie Wonder on his UK tour - Forget Me Not had just been released in the UK to promote the tour and it was a great concert........I remember Martha, Lois & Sandy looked fantastic and Lois & Sandy seemed to inject renewed energy into the show
    Going to have to keep my eyes peeled for the Copa & the Tokyo performances on ebay - although I often check to see if there is anything new or unusual by Martha & The Vandellas and it's rare to see anything of real interest

The live 68 album woud be great to be released.

Years ago I also bought some kind of bootleg CD, Hits and rarities, containing:
    Part one: no chart and rare stuff:
    I'll have to let him go
    There he is
    Third finger, left hand
    You'll never cherish a love so true
    Just one look
    Camel walk
    Hello stranger
    spell bound
    keep stepping
    undecided lover
    I'll let you know
    easily persuaded
    my baby won't come back
    a tear for a girl
    moments
    give him up
    baby
    can't break the habit
    the track of my tears
    come and get those memories

Part two: the best of the chart stuff:
    heatwave
    quicksand
    dancing in the street
    nowhere to run
    I'm ready for love
    Jimmy mack
    Love bug, leave my heart alone
    Bless you

This CD was issued in 1996 by Marginal

They weren't the greatest quality, but Marginal was the only game in town until Hip-O, Spectrum, Universal and the other labels finally started releasing the vault material. I remember buying the "Rare Sounds From Detroit" series which was about 7 volumes as I recall of the rare Motown 45s I thought I would never hear, and thrilled to have them! Of course, the Complete Singles and other great releases have now rendered those obsolete.

honest man Guest
    qny offers on the 11 unreleased songs,i have found a tape in my collection with 6 of the songs would love them all in wonderful mp3 though, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    here are some 2 fer martha reeves etc. that were released in 2002 in uk,on sale today,prices are good too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Come-Get-The...9105886&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-Watcho...9105886&sr=1-8

I got all of these UK re isues in 2002; there were similar two-fers on most[[but not all) of The Supremes albums as well, which I also have...UK releases

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Reso...106065&sr=1-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ridin-High-S...106124&sr=1-25

there is also sugar n spice and dance party on individual [[usa releases).search martha reeves etc and they are on one of the pages
    got all of these UK re isues in 2002; there were similar two-fers on most[[but not all) of The Supremes albums as well, which I also have...UK releases

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    got all of these UK re isues in 2002; there were similar two-fers on most[[but not all) of The Supremes albums as well, which I also have...UK releases
    and.............jr walker,gladys knight,temptations,isleys,marvin gaye,mg and tammi,kim weston, etc etc...

honest man Guest
    anyone got a spare copy of the MARTHA UNRELEASED MASTERS going, please.

I know Martha, Rosalind, and Lois did the Copa show, but what were the songs they performed?

If you all look at Martha Reeves' website, she mentions the unreleased '68 Copa album and how she hopes for it to be released.

Laurel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    anyone got a spare copy of the MARTHA UNRELEASED MASTERS going, please.
    I don't but if I see one at a garage sale, I'll let you know. I found a 4 Tops Greatest hits CD this morning. I love finding treasures when I go do my garage sales, it's so much fun!

Copa track list.

Name:  Gordy 937 - MARTHA & VANDELLAS - Live at the Copa.jpg
Views: 2081
Size:  102.7 KB

Wow, what a great set. Someone's gotta put that up online so we can all download it! That's a great concert.

Why is it all the rock groups have tons of concerts easily obtainable from the various web sites, but there's so few of the soul groups other than Parliament/Funkadelic? These need to be heard!

What, no "Jimmy Mack"?!

Seems surprising for a LIVE album that was scheduled for late 1968. The mega-hit single was released in early 1967. I can't imagine that they didn't sing one of their biggest hits in their personal appearances at this point in time. Maybe there is a typo on the track list and it was omitted in error.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    What, no "Jimmy Mack"?!

Seems surprising for a LIVE album that was scheduled for late 1968. The mega-hit single was released in early 1967. I can't imagine that they didn't sing one of their biggest hits in their personal appearances at this point in time. Maybe there is a typo on the track list and it was omitted in error.
    Well I would imagine that if they performed two shows a night then there may have been more than one set list. With some commonality, but some differences where JM was probably performed. Where all concerts this short? Looks like the concert may have lasted less than an hour. But it does sound like a great set list. i do wonder why the album was cancelled. It would be fun to listen to.

No typo, no 'Jimmy Mack' on this set.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    No typo, no 'Jimmy Mack' on this set.
    But a major typo in calling the second and third medleys "melodies".

Smark Alex

In another possible discrepancy, the BSNPUBS Gordy Discography, which I think is pretty accurate, mentions that GLPS-937 was intended to be "Marv" by Marvin Johnson, not the Vandellas at the Copa. Ironically, GLPS-938, the next title however is "Temptations at the Copa."

http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/gordy.html

Guys, this is only a dummy cover not the gospel according to BG! I could be picky too and say it's Marv not Marvin Johnson A spreadsheet that I have has 937 as Marv Johnson with no listing for Martha's 'Copa'. However Sharon Davis book has 937 as blank so I'm assuming that the person who made the cover used that as his source for a cat no.
    Last edited by copley; 10-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekylincs View Post
    Great news about The Marvelettes Complete Albums Vol 2 coming out before the end of the year..........can't wait! Looking forward to more details

Would be great to see a similar project for Martha & the Vandellas...........my favorite Motown group. Be great to see these fantastic albums they did remastered and given a new lease of life.........would particularly love to see Dance Party, Watchout and Ridin' High even though I have most of the many incarnations of these albums that have been released already

I heard many years ago there was an alternate version of Honey Chile but this never seems to have surfaced anywhere unless anyone can tell me anything different! This would suggest that despite the excellent Spellbound: Lost & Found album there is material by Martha & The Vandellas yet to see the light of day
    Posted on Hip=O-Select Twitter yesterday:
    Marvelettes Forever Vol2- this real?- YES!! Also, any chance of the Vandellas getting similar treatment? - Not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Posted on Hip=O-Select Twitter yesterday:
    Marvelettes Forever Vol2- this real?- YES!! Also, any chance of the Vandellas getting similar treatment? - Not yet.
    Not yet!!! Sounds promising..............hope this also becomes real!!

Martha and the Vandellas must surely be about the last major Motown act that still has enough recordings in the vaults to create a really desirable 'Complete Albums plus' box set [[or two!).
    With that in mind, I would have thought that it is an absolute certainty that at some point in the future we will see Hip-O give this Motown supergroup their just deserts.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Amazing to think that Martha and the Vandellas covered a Frank Ifield song!
    "I Remember You" is NOT a Frank Ifield song, he merely covered it....it's a standard from the 1940's....I have a recording by Nat King Cole.

Here's Wikipedia's note: written by the genius that was Johnny Mercer.

"I Remember You" is a popular song. The music was written by Victor Schertzinger, the lyrics by Johnny Mercer. The song was published in 1941.

The song was one of several introduced in the movie The Fleet's In [[1942). It was sung in the film by Dorothy Lamour [[with harmony by Bob Eberly, and Helen O'Connell and featuring the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra) and is one of the songs most associated with the singer/actress. Schertzinger, who co-wrote all the film's songs with Mercer, was also the director of the movie.

According to the TCM documentary Johnny Mercer: The Dream's On Me, Mercer wrote the song for Judy Garland, to express his strong infatuation with her. He gave it to her the day after she married David Rose.
    Last edited by snakepit; 11-15-2011 at 02:07 PM.

I would love to obtain a cd copy of the "Unreleased Masters" I have a cd copy of "Martha & the Vandellas Live" the Twenty Grand one which I would swap if any one is interested it`s not the greatest quality [[from a used lp) but then the performance is not that good either.The "Live at the Copa" would be great too.Is this allowable on this site?

In answer to Kenneth re the duplicate Cat #s: Here are some more: TS 273 "Marvin Gaye Live At The Copa" & TS 273 "Brenda Holloway" GS 922 "Temptations With A Lot`O Soul" & GS 922 Contours "So Hard Being A Loser", SS 712 "Gladys Knight" & SS 712 "Barbara Randolph" The Gladys Knight has been released in as much as all the tracks are available on various cds.No official track listing for Barbara Randolph but all tracks are available as you will know.