[REMOVE ADS]

Syl Johnson Comes After Kayne West and Jay Z Over A Sample Of One Of His Songs

This just aired on our local news in Chicago.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/the-scene/...131899073.html

Pay the man !!!! $$$$$

They are due a royal haunting and ass kicking from OTIS also.

GOOD! He should get Jay-Z's ass! All that bragging he's been doing forever about how he is "IT" and everyone else is something that rhymes with that.........! He is not even original!

Chalk one up for the Original Gangster.......

Yeah, well it has also been reported yesterday that his wife......Beyonce may have "borrowed" a few dance steps for one of her recent videos she produced by Ballet dancer Anne Teresa De Keersmaker without her permission.

http://www.mtv.co.uk/news/beyonce/33...-ballet-dancer

Will somebody go call Miss Etta? LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 10-15-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Amen Daddy!

I've been saying that since the 1st moment I heard it & yelled WTF, damn near scaring my son to death. While it is somewhat catchy, I don't quite see how Otis fits in with that song. They're just sampling the song on what's little more than an aural masturbatory, magical mystery tour, that totally flies against the sentiments of the damn song that they're sampling.

Or reminding me of my schooldays, one could sum it up thusly...

The sample of Otis used in this song is like brains to an idiot.

Nuff said!

Despite my disdain for them playing Goldie & Priest & using Otis' sample completely out of context, as well as never mentioning his name so much as ONCE in a song titled after him & is supposed to be a "tribute" to him, being familiar with the sampling process, these guys know the lay of the land & I can't imagine either risking that kind of aggravation. I only hope that the Redding family is getting a nice hunk of change out of this & I thought that like Big Red Davis, as a friend they were trying to put some money in their pockets.

I have to conclude that something slipped through the cracks because "Different Strokes" is one of the most known & widely used sample in Hip-Hop history. I don't believe that either are stupid so someone else must've dropped the ball on this one.

As for the ballet chick, good luck to that. If her potential lawsuit has any chance of being victorious, then she needs to stand in line & wait until Coles & Atkins, The Nicholas Brothers, Bill Robinson, Gene Kelly, James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Michael Jackson & ALL of The Treniers or their estates get paid for having their dance moves ummm...sampled for the last 60 or so years.

Methinks that someone's a bit jealous & is seeking to get the attention taht they're not receiving by dredging up Beyonce's name. There's not a new dance under the sun & people have been liberally borrowing dance steps since the first caveman jumped up & did the "Good Foot" after stepping on a flaming ember.

Her alleged "lawsuit" is nothing more than basic bullshit or a cry for love, affection & attention. If she can sue Beyonce for "stealing" her dance steps then a whole lot of everyday folks doing The Lambada or The Macarena on youtube are in mighty big trouble!

Methinks she doth protest TOO much!
    Last edited by juicefree20; 10-15-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Thank you for sharing this GeeTee, and for raising this subject in general. While these artists today make MILLIONS stealing off the originators, the kids listening to this crap need a history lesson.

A while back I heard my 13 yr old playing a "song" that sampled/stole from "The Banana Boat Song" [[Old timers will remember Harry Belafonte's version we called "Day-O"). Originally this was a folk song about Jamaicans working all night long loading banana boats, waiting for "daylight come and we wanna go home." In this new version, the song is about drinking, partying, sexing it up,and getting wasted in a club all night!! I dug out Belafonte's version, played it for my son and told him THE TRUTH!
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 10-15-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Nice story and dam appropriate.......