[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: WKNR's Surveys

WKNR's Surveys

This may be interesting to those who grew up in Detroit.

http://keenerpodcast.com/?page_id=281

There are links to check all the surveys from 63-72. It's interesting
    to follow local Motown acts on the charts in Detroit. Some did very well
    locally, and not so much on the "Billboard" level. Other songs by big
    Motown stars seemed to underpreform in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by ajk93 View Post
    This may be interesting to those who grew up in Detroit.

http://keenerpodcast.com/?page_id=281

There are links to check all the surveys from 63-72. It's interesting
    to follow local Motown acts on the charts in Detroit. Some did very well
    locally, and not so much on the "Billboard" level. Other songs by big
    Motown stars seemed to underpreform in some cases.

A BIG Thank You ajk93! I love this kind of stuff!

Marv

I find studying the charts to be very entertaining!!!!! I'm glad you appreciate it Marv.

I think that "Up the Ladder To the oof" was there and gone real quick on WKNR, while in NYC[[77WABC AM) it was quite a hit!..Top ten

Quote Originally Posted by ajk93 View Post
    I find studying the charts to be very entertaining!!!!! I'm glad you appreciate it Marv.
    Oh I definitely appreciate it because I grew up listening to "Keener 13" [[the nickname for WKNR) in the mornings getting ready for school and then after school up until CKLW became THE STATION to listen to in the area from roughly 1967 -78.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I think that "Up the Ladder To the oof" was there and gone real quick on WKNR, while in NYC[[77WABC AM) it was quite a hit!..Top ten
    Jimi, it was a big hit in Detroit too! By 1970, we were no longer listening to WKNR as much as say CKLW-Windsor, WCHB, WJLB and WKLR, WOHO in Toledo. It got into the top 5 on CKLW I believe. I have to look it up.

When I lived in Detroit, it seemed like everyone in my neighboorhood bought Right On. The Glen Campbell appearance was a big deal and that TV Guide did not leave the top on the console TV. I swear that Ladder was on there for quite a while. Marv do you remember? Mary autographed the TV Guide a few months ago and noticed that they misprinted their names. I knew she'd catch that, but she had a good laugh about it! The stated that Jean was the new lead and was identified as Cindy; Mary as Jean, and Cindy as Mary.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I love seein those charts, a lot of history. Thanks for the link!

Up The Ladder apparently peaked at #30 in March 1970 and was gone within just a few weeks; what was up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    When I lived in Detroit, it seemed like everyone in my neighboorhood bought Right On. The Glen Campbell appearance was a big deal and that TV Guide did not leave the top on the console TV. I swear that Ladder was on there for quite a while. Marv do you remember? Mary autographed the TV Guide a few months ago and noticed that they misprinted their names. I knew she'd catch that, but she had a good laugh about it! The stated that Jean was the new lead and was identified as Cindy; Mary as Jean, and Cindy as Mary.
    Yes I remember that people were so excited over the "New" Supremes that not only was "Up the Ladder to the Roof" in heavy rotation on local radio, but just about 8 weeks later the flip side, "Bill When Are You Coming Back" started getting a lot of airplay. I assumed that it was considered the follow up to Ladder.

Great picture by the way. Thanks detmotownguy!

Another thing I remember is that it was snowing all the time that winter. I mean like every day.......hehehehehe...

Up The Ladder apparently peaked at #30 in March 1970 and was gone within just a few weeks; what was up with that?
    You mean on WKNR's chart,right?

yes..how was that possible?

yes..how was that possible?
    It doesn't make sense. Something is not accurate with their chart.

Are there similar charts available on-line for any Detroit [[or Michigan / Ohio) R&B radio stns ??
    I'd much prefer to see those than any pop radio stn charts.

You can find charts galore at this website: http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa/index.php
    Enjoy!

CKLW charts from 1968 through 1979 are available here:

http://www.ct30.com/big30/

I can't find the site right off, but there is another site that has music surveys from various radio stations. I know they've got one from WIBM-AM [[Jackson) from the time I was working on the FM side.

wow..Up the Ladder peaks at #23 on CKLW and is only only the chart for 3 weeks? in March 1970..yikes..so this record was bigger on NYC's pop stations than in the Detroit market...crazy,never knew that

Wow! Thanks everyone for the great links!!!

This has been a very informative and intersting topic with lots of helpful posters. With all the discussion regarding
    the site going on, I feel that this is great news.

In Chicago we only listened to WLS or WCFL, but Motown records were usually broken on WVON by legends
    like Herb Kent. Can someone back me up---I don't recall WKNR or CKLW ever reaching the Windy City. Then
    again, I don't remember trying.

CKLW used to reach Long Island, New York, late at night on my tiny, tinny transistor radio, believe it or not!!

CKLW used to reach Long Island, New York, late at night on my tiny, tinny transistor radio, believe it or not!!
    Really!!!!! I've heard some pretty funny stories of stations receiving fan mail from far away or in odd places. I just looked
    it up, and since CKLW was at 800, it was likely overpowered by a couple Chicago/Midwest stations for me.

I would get it around 10 Pm/11 PM at night in the mid/late 60s , maybe Long island, surrounded by water, got an edge on picking up the signal; I know that our Top 40 monster 77WABC AM New york,covered the entire eastern seaboard and beyond, huge signal pumping into the night time sky